SpaceX to Make History Tonight 10:30E

depotoo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2012
SpaceX Will Make History with 60-Satellite Launch Tonight
Should be pretty cool. Hope it all goes well.

SpaceX will make some history tonight (May 23), if all goes according to plan.

A two-stage Falcon 9 rocket carrying the first 60 satellites in SpaceX's Starlink internet constellation is scheduled to lift off at 10:30 p.m. EDT (0230 GMT on May 24) from Florida's Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Together, the five dozen spacecraft weigh about 18.5 tons (16.8 metric tons) — more than any other payload that SpaceX has ever launched, company founder and CEO Elon Musk said. (The previous high was 10.6 tons, or 9.6 metric tons, set in January 2017 with the launch of 10 Iridium NEXT communications satellites.)

Related: SpaceX's 1st Prototype Starlink Satellites Are Up and Running

SpaceX will also be treading new ground with the deployment of this Starlink batch. Rather than rely on 60 distinct spring-based deployment mechanisms, SpaceX will simply spin the satellites off the Falcon 9's upper stage.

Get a picture, if you watch it, Slyhunter, in case we can’t see it.

1010CCDE-C9A2-4041-B11B-6BAC0DA7494B.jpeg
We could see it! Wish I’d had the camera ready so I could have gotten a better picture. It doesn’t show on the photo but it was deep orange.

t-2 success. They're going to launch 12,000 starlink internet satellites? How many can they stick up there before they start crashing into one another?

It was bright here.
View attachment 262153 We could see it! Wish I’d had the camera ready so I could have gotten a better picture. It doesn’t show on the photo but it was deep orange.
It was bright here. And noisy.
Yeah, I could hear it before I saw it. I was concentrating a little too far east when I suddenly caught it out of the corner of my eye.
I can’t begin to imagine what it was like where you were.

Forum List

Back