Space Sucks

This planet will kill us, eventually, our only hope as a species is to leave it. Of course we're just as likely to go extinct before we have the technology to do so, but if we don't try, we will perish here, like every species that came before us.

As a human, I acknowledge that that is a purely subjective view.

Space is a a seemingly limitless barren expanse hostile to earthly lifeforms.

We're nosy, but that is what the gods created robots for.

We shall not cease from exploration,
and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started

and know the place for the first time.

Crapping all over our little blue marble and absconding is a tawdry and irresponsible act.

Hauling human carcass baggage into the heavens is exponentially more costly, with the requirements for air, water, food, heating and cooling systems, video games, shielding from galactic cosmic rays, solar flare particles, radiation belt particles, etc.

Its unabashed hostility to our sort is the universe’s way of telling earthlings, “Stay where you are if you know what's good for you! Your little spheroid whirling about a yellow dwarf on the outskirts of a perfectly adequate, run-of-the-mill, spiral galaxy was made for you."

Keep it tidy, and you’ll be awarded the Intergalactic Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. Foul it up, and nobody will take you in.

View attachment 515310
"Il faut cultiver son jardin.”

...............................................................Here:

.............................................................There:

..........................................APPALLINGLY BAD TASTE:

Remaining a one planet species is asking for extinction.

The urge to explore runs deep in the marrow of human beings. Some of the weak and meek have always feared the unknown, but that has never stopped us from pushing off to the next horizon.

I watched the special about it last night.
The capsule looks large and comfortable with very large windows. Seemed like no heat shielding or need for it from the lower altitude.
What I find amazing is the rocket booster being able to land itself on a small pad like Elons do.
That is an amazing engineering feat.
Bezos is also developing some very large rocket boosters.
I would love to go for a ride, but way outside my travel budget.

I watched the special about it last night.
The capsule looks large and comfortable with very large windows. Seemed like no heat shielding or need for it from the lower altitude.
What I find amazing is the rocket booster being able to land itself on a small pad like Elons do.
That is an amazing engineering feat.
Bezos is also developing some very large rocket boosters.
I would love to go for a ride, but way outside my travel budget.
That depends. Do you have 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 frequent flyer miles to cash in?

As a human, I acknowledge that that is a purely subjective view.

Space is a a seemingly limitless barren expanse hostile to earthly lifeforms.

We're nosy, but that is what the gods created robots for.

We shall not cease from exploration,
and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started

and know the place for the first time.

Crapping all over our little blue marble and absconding is a tawdry and irresponsible act.

Hauling human carcass baggage into the heavens is exponentially more costly, with the requirements for air, water, food, heating and cooling systems, video games, shielding from galactic cosmic rays, solar flare particles, radiation belt particles, etc.

Its unabashed hostility to our sort is the universe’s way of telling earthlings, “Stay where you are if you know what's good for you! Your little spheroid whirling about a yellow dwarf on the outskirts of a perfectly adequate, run-of-the-mill, spiral galaxy was made for you."

Keep it tidy, and you’ll be awarded the Intergalactic Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. Foul it up, and nobody will take you in.

View attachment 515310
"Il faut cultiver son jardin.”

...............................................................Here:

.............................................................There:

..........................................APPALLINGLY BAD TASTE:

Sooner or later this small planet WILL be hit by an extinction level event presently soaring around out there. Also, eventually the sun will expand and kill all life on this planet. Either way, this planet will for certain, go bye-bye. It could happen next year, a hundred years from now, or a few million years from now, but at some point your descendants will get wiped out. If we don't continue our research and find a way off this rock and soar across space to live elsewhere, we will only have ourselves to blame for dooming the human race to extinction. There are more planets out there than there are stars and some of the ones we've already found, are potential candidates for being habitable. As our technology improves, it is possible that we may find a way to get to them and ensure mankind's survival.

Sooner or later this small planet WILL be hit by an extinction level event presently soaring around out there. Also, eventually the sun will expand and kill all life on this planet. Either way, this planet will for certain, go bye-bye. It could happen next year, a hundred years from now, or a few million years from now, but at some point your descendants will get wiped out. If we don't continue our research and find a way off this rock and soar across space to live elsewhere, we will only have ourselves to blame for dooming the human race to extinction. There are more planets out there than there are stars and some of the ones we've already found, are potential candidates for being habitable. As our technology improves, it is possible that we may find a way to get to them and ensure mankind's survival.
The reality that no person lives forever does not justify self-abuse, reckless self-endangerment, and victim/suicide self-indulgence.

It is estimated that between 250 million and 800 million years from now, Earth will slowly become uninhabitable, due to the Sun’s increasing luminosity. As temperatures rise, weathering increases, and the amount of carbon dioxide drops to a point where plants can no longer photosynthesize.

There is no sane reason to panic and hasten the prospect.

I still remember that old S.A.T. question:

"Since space sucks and Schmidlac sucks, does that mean Schmidlap is space?"

I support space exploration, I am a big fan of it. I share the point that space is the future. I assume that we can find some forms of life out of the Solar System. The example might be the theory about Proxima B . I have heard some interesting ideas about Proxima B and some scientists are convinced that this exoplanet might be the second Earth.

However, I understand that Earth's atmosphere not only gives us O2 but also saves us from the harmful rays of the sun. This is also very rare, none of the planets in the solar system has that kind of atmosphere. There are many other things that may extinct all life on Earth but are not happening because the Earth is, the way it is(example: Earth's magnetic property)

The reality that no person lives forever does not justify self-abuse, reckless self-endangerment, and victim/suicide self-indulgence.

It is estimated that between 250 million and 800 million years from now, Earth will slowly become uninhabitable, due to the Sun’s increasing luminosity. As temperatures rise, weathering increases, and the amount of carbon dioxide drops to a point where plants can no longer photosynthesize.

And who are you to decide what your descendants should be allowed to do?! Even evil totalitarian governments like China are on the road to outer space. Space IS mankind's future, whether you like it or not.

If all humans were quivering, timid caitiffs like you, no one would have crossed the oceans, climbed Everest, or stepped on the moon. Hell, if all humans were like you, our species probably would have gone extinct long before now.

And who are you to decide what your descendants should be allowed to do?! Even evil totalitarian governments like China are on the road to outer space. Space IS mankind's future, whether you like it or not.
Since I have not done so, your comments are irrelevant.

Rapidly developing robotic technology renders humans with all their costly biological requirements even less suitable for space exploration. An enormous percentage of the cost of every mission where humans are the baggage is diverted just to sustain the demanding humans.

Last edited:
If all humans were quivering, timid caitiffs like you, no one would have crossed the oceans, climbed Everest, or stepped on the moon. Hell, if all humans were like you, our species probably would have gone extinct long before now.
If you don't understand how inefficient it is to haul high-maintenance humans into space and maintain them, rather than deployingn dedicated, far more efficient, data-gathering technology at this stage, I can't help you.

Last edited:
If you don't understand how inefficient it is to haul demanding humans into space and ....
It wasn't "efficient" to set out onto unknown seas, climb insurmountable mountains, or cast a man from earth to the moon. YOUR timidity is the anomaly. Be grateful your betters were and are made of sterner stuff.

It wasn't "efficient" to set out onto unknown seas, climb insurmountable mountains, or cast a man from earth to the moon. YOUR timidity is the anomaly. Be grateful your betters were and are made of sterner stuff.
Terrestrial exploration did not require extensive support systems to sustain human cargo with oxygen, protection from temperature extremes that do not accommodate biological entities, gamma rays, etc.

A robot, impervious to the 130°C −110°C lunar temperatures and lack of air could have hit golf balls on the moon far more efficiently, and the enormous human baggage cost could have been reallocated to robotic advances and scientific data collection, focused upon the acquisition of knowledge rather than hoopla.

These loads did nothing to advance human understanding of space:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 4.54.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 4.57.44 PM.png

New Topics

Forum List

Back