South Korea Insults Texas

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Screenshot_20220703-175727_Chrome-2439890.jpg

LOL.....Even Second Best Korea knows chili has beans. :laughing0301:

Never had Texas chili? :laughing0301:

It's shredded cow meat, chili powder, cumin, ground dried hot pepper, tomato sauce, salt, and that's it. No onions, green peppers, tomatoes, beans, or if you are a Yankee, macaroni.

Not really all that bad, I just like ground beef in mine, as well as all the other stuff in it too.

Except the macaroni. I'm not that far removed from my Southern roots. Macaroni in chili is a hanging offense in most Southern states.

Screenshot_20220703-175727_Chrome-2439890.jpg

LOL.....Even Second Best Korea knows chili has beans. :laughing0301:

Mmm, looks pretty good. Though messy...

Mmm, ,why could one not just season a beef patty as though it was chili? Maybe even include some beans...

I think I see an experiment coming.

1656857965519.png

Never had Texas chili? :laughing0301:

It's shredded cow meat, chili powder, cumin, ground dried hot pepper, tomato sauce, salt, and that's it. No onions, green peppers, tomatoes, beans....
Yeah, I'm familiar :rolleyes:
I think the burger is in reference to chili peppers.

Yeah, I'm familiar :rolleyes:
I think the burger is in reference to chili peppers.

no, I'm pretty sure the stuff on top of the cheeseburger is actual chili, though chili without beans. Hence the "insult".

Except the macaroni. I'm not that far removed from my Southern roots. Macaroni in chili is a hanging offense in most Southern states.
You and I agree on most things but I have to disagree with you on this.

We can trace our Southern family roots back seven generations. No that my ancestors had it but growing up Chili Mac was on the menu a few times a year. We have it occasionally now.

When I was in Vietnam my Mom would even send me cans of Chef Boyardee Chili Mac. It was a treat over C rations.

We can trace our Southern family roots back seven generations. No that my ancestors had it but growing up Chili Mac was on the menu a few times a year. We have it occasionally now.

When I was in Vietnam my Mom would even send me cans of Chef Boyardee Chili Mac. It was a treat over C rations.

Of course chili got perverted in the 60's when they started putting macaroni in it. I have some cans of Boyardee Chili Mac stashed away, and will eat them some day.

But over the time I lived in Texas for 25 years, I was one of the judges at a few chili contests. Nobody ever put macaroni in chili and called it "Texas chili." That would have been an affront and an insult to any Texan.

LOL...

Being a pollack from Buffalo NY, I always looked at chili as if it was some sort of mexican goulash. It's basically Ground beef with a tomato sauce and a bunch of other shit and supposed to be spicy as all hell.

Then you've got the hot dog chili which is basically the meat and sauce without anything else in it.

So I'm not going to worry if a bunch of jabbering gooks fuck things up.

Hell...

They didn't even put any jalapenos or bacon on the fuckin thing.

Of course chili got perverted in the 60's when they started putting macaroni in it. I have some cans of Boyardee Chili Mac stashed away, and will eat them some day.

But over the time I lived in Texas for 25 years, I was one of the judges at a few chili contests. Nobody ever put macaroni in chili and called it "Texas chili." That would have been an affront and an insult to any Texan.
Maybe taking it all too seriously.

It would have gotten them shot. My mother never added fuckin macaroni in her chili, which wasn't bad, but she put things like green pepper, green and black olives in there which I was told was sacrilegious in TX.

Still tasted good to me though.

That said one of my favorite MRE's was the chili Mac and some jalapeno cheese spread with the whole thimble of Tabasco we used to get.

Chili Mac was a staple when I was in grade school.....They would make enough Chili con carne, serve that, then store the leftovers and a few days later add macaroni and make Chili Mac. It was always a big hit. ;)

I agree that putting macaroni in chili would disqualify it from being considered "Texas Chili", what ever that is.

People in the US make chili many different ways. The more common kind that probably more people eat than any other is the somewhat bland hamburger-tomato sauce- chili powder midwestern style. I bet on any given day in the US that style is served the most.

By the way LBJ said he ate Texas Chili but his published recipe is not that much different from the typical Midwestern style.

I got into chili a couple of decades ago. I can do just about any style. It is a comfort food that can be fixed many different ways.

By the way, something to blow a Texan's mind and throw him into fits of denial. Chili was invented in Florida.

The oldest (non Indian) city in the Americas is St Augustine. It was inhabited by Europeans long before there was a Mexico or Texas. In the archives are old recipes of the settlers. One of them is for meat, chiles, cumin and salt. That is the basis for all chili. Further humiliating to the Texans is the fact that they mixed beans into the stew. So real chili has beans.

When my wife was doing her graduate thesis on Florida History at UF she did a lot research on St Augustine. The recipe for chili is pretty well available for anyone to see.

Here is the LBJ recipe.

Forum List

Back