South Dakota Police File Lawsuit to Block Measure Legalizing Marijuana Approved by Voters

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
What happened to the will of the people who put their idiot asses in office?

South Dakota police have filed suit to overturn a voter-approved amendment to the state constitution that legalized marijuana earlier this month.

Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom and Highway Patrol Superintendent Rick Miller filed a lawsuit seeking to invalidate the amendment last week despite South Dakota voters signaling their clear approval of marijuana legalization during the election.

"I've dedicated my life to defending and upholding the rule of law," Thom said in a statement. "The South Dakota Constitution is the foundation for our government and any attempt to modify it should not be taken lightly. I respect the voice of the voters in South Dakota, however in this case I believe the process was flawed and done improperly, due to no fault of the voters."

Around 70 percent voted in favor of a separate initiative allowing medical use, while the amendment permitting recreational use was approved by about 54 percent of voters. South Dakota was one of four states that voted to legalize recreational marijuana use this year, as well as the first state ever to approve both medical and recreational use at the same time.

The cops make lots of money off of drugs. They use "fighting" the drug boogie man as an excuse to continually increase their budgets.

This is so wrong...

Read more: South Dakota police file lawsuit to block measure legalizing marijuana approved by voters

South Dakota police have filed suit to overturn a voter-approved amendment to the state constitution that legalized marijuana earlier this month.

Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom and Highway Patrol Superintendent Rick Miller filed a lawsuit seeking to invalidate the amendment last week despite South Dakota voters signaling their clear approval of marijuana legalization during the election.

"I've dedicated my life to defending and upholding the rule of law," Thom said in a statement. "The South Dakota Constitution is the foundation for our government and any attempt to modify it should not be taken lightly. I respect the voice of the voters in South Dakota, however in this case I believe the process was flawed and done improperly, due to no fault of the voters."

Around 70 percent voted in favor of a separate initiative allowing medical use, while the amendment permitting recreational use was approved by about 54 percent of voters. South Dakota was one of four states that voted to legalize recreational marijuana use this year, as well as the first state ever to approve both medical and recreational use at the same time.

The cops make lots of money off of drugs. They use "fighting" the drug boogie man as an excuse to continually increase their budgets.

This is so wrong...

Read more: South Dakota police file lawsuit to block measure legalizing marijuana approved by voters

And they can't seize property and the evidence for resale.

This is so wrong...

Yeah, what happened to the will of the people when 10 million US citizens didnt want a government healthcare system forced upon them or be taxed to stay exempt. Yeah...

This is so wrong...

Hey, ask Camel Toe Harris about this, she is the expert on incarcerating black people for smoking dope...

Hopefully the courts do not side with the police.

Weed should be legal everywhee and Trump should pardon everyone who went to prison for non violent weed offenses from Bidens racist Crime bill.

"I've dedicated my life to defending and upholding the rule of law," Thom said in a statement. "The South Dakota Constitution is the foundation for our government and any attempt to modify it should not be taken lightly. I respect the voice of the voters in South Dakota, however in this case I believe the process was flawed and done improperly, due to no fault of the voters." ibid

This makes no sense.

The will of the people is the foundation of government, codified in the state constitution – to seek to ignore the will of the people as expressed in the constitution is to disrespect both.

This is so wrong...

One time we can agree on something.
I have never supported the failed social experiment known as the drug war which has done more to erode the individual rights of Americans, ensured corruption, and allowed Cartels to increase their power and wealth exponentially. Prohibition is always doomed to fail. This failed policy has been supported by Nanny statists from both ends of the political spectrum.
The Police are to enforce the laws as set forth by the People, and should not interfere with the right of citizens to determine what is appropriate for society as a whole.
End Prohibition now!!!

“Around 70 percent voted in favor of a separate initiative allowing medical use, while the amendment permitting recreational use was approved by about 54 percent of voters. South Dakota was one of four states that voted to legalize recreational marijuana use this year, as well as the first state ever to approve both medical and recreational use at the same time.” ibid

As a political aside, it’s interesting to note how red states are enacting measures to legalize recreational marijuana – illustrating how out-of-touch most conservatives are.

No matter how hard the reactionary right fights against positive, beneficial change, the people will have that positive, beneficial change regardless.

The 10th amendment makes it clear what States can do- then the 14th sorta nullified that- it is NOT a federal power or authority to tell people what they can ingest- it is a States issue- if voters of the State say it's okay then the sheriff and the other thug are wrong- if they believe they're right, they can take it to court, which apparenlty they are doing, so if it comes to a trial it will be up to lawyers to determine the legitimacy of their legitimacy-

Personally, I don't care what others ingest- it ain't my business unless/until they, the ingester, feel they have special right to harm me or mine- then they will get educated.

This is so wrong...

Of course they are. They're losers.

This is so wrong...

Yeah, what happened to the will of the people when 10 million US citizens didnt want a government healthcare system forced upon them or be taxed to stay exempt. Yeah...
What happened?..maybe 20 miliion did..

This is so wrong...

You'll get no argument from the likes of me. This is bullshit.

Pot is still a Schedule I federally-controlled drug, along with heroin and LSD. If they they can have their pot, why can't I have a machine gun, a silencer, or a hand grenade without paying the $200 tax stamp?

Apparently there is no equality among the criminal.

Pot is still a Schedule I federally-controlled drug, along with heroin and LSD. If they they can have their pot, why can't I have a machine gun, a silencer, or a hand grenade without paying the $200 tax stamp?

Apparently there is no equality among the criminal.

Hunter will be a highly compensated mind altering drug expert researcher to lead the decriminalization.

This is so wrong...

what exactly was flawed in the process?

Does he elaborate? lol

edit - The lawsuit seeking to invalidate the amendment, known as Amendment A, claims that the measure actually called for a constitutional revision rather than an amendment, which would require additional approval, and that its appearance on the ballot technically violated a provision against addressing more than one subject.

According to the article, seems like that may be how it works....Normally you change a constitution with an amendment. Anything else requires different procedure

edit 2 - but they did call it an amendment but the argument is it's more than that????? Seems like it comes down to how amendment is defined.

1606417707596.png

If you smoke pot then you've always been truthful and answer "YES" when the insurance and medical forms ask if you smoke right?

*****SMILE*****

:)

Attachments

• 1606417666387.png
    1606417666387.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1606417691231.png
    1606417691231.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 17

Forum List

Back