Soups and Stews

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of either but I am going to incorporate a soup and sandwich night.
These are the ones that I remember liking.
Southwestern Pumpkin Soup

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boned rump roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 TBS. Sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 TBS red wine vinegar
1 (14 1/4 oz) can low salt beef broth
1 (14.5 oz) can no salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained
4 whole cloves
6 cups 1/3 inch-thick sliced onion, separated into rings

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add half the beef, cook 5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining beef.

Return beef to pan and add oregano and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine and next 7 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Add onion and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Discard cloves. Place in an airtight container and freeze. To serve: Thaw in refrigerator. Reheat in a Dutch oven until thoroughly heated.
And Fasolada which I already posted.
Italian Wedding Soup
This year I intend on doing these:
Shortcut Pork Cassoulet

Rick Bayless | Toasted Tortilla Soup with Fresh Cheese and Chile Pasilla

I would like to find a really excellent chicken tortilla soup (if the above fails) and a fantastic chicken and dumplings recipe that doesn't use some version of canned cream of celery/chicken soup.

Post your soups and stews.

I'm not a huge fan of either but I am going to incorporate a soup and sandwich night.

1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 TBS. Sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 TBS red wine vinegar
4 whole cloves

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add half the beef, cook 5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining beef.

Return beef to pan and add oregano and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine and next 7 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Add onion and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Discard cloves. Place in an airtight container and freeze. To serve: Thaw in refrigerator. Reheat in a Dutch oven until thoroughly heated.
Italian Wedding Soup
Shortcut Pork Cassoulet

I would like to find a really excellent chicken tortilla soup (if the above fails) and a fantastic chicken and dumplings recipe that doesn't use some version of canned cream of celery/chicken soup.

Another absolute family favorite that my grown kids ask for again and again when they come home from college: creamy white chicken chili. I had it many years ago and looked for the recipe in so many places--found a lot of "white chicken chili" but that just means white beans with chicken. The end step of adding the half and half and sour cream makes the chili so yummy and filling when the weather turns cold

Creamy White Chili

My family LOVES this butternut and acorn squash soup. One time attempted to make it without the acorn, using two butternut. Not the same; better with the mix. The key is to cook the squash til it's really done well.

Butternut and Acorn Squash Soup Recipe

I will definitely try that.

This is a great thread--I'm glad I caught it! We live in a cold climate and love soup/stew when the weather turns. Looks like it's just about to! I have a couple more recipes but will wait for others to chime in! Yours looks great too!

My family LOVES this butternut and acorn squash soup. One time attempted to make it without the acorn, using two butternut. Not the same; better with the mix. The key is to cook the squash til it's really done well.

Butternut and Acorn Squash Soup Recipe

I will definitely try that.

This is a great thread--I'm glad I caught it! We live in a cold climate and love soup/stew when the weather turns. Looks like it's just about to! I have a couple more recipes but will wait for others to chime in! Yours looks great too!

I'm glad you did post. Your recipes look really good.

WHAT???
Not a fan of soups and stews.... blasphemy. :p
Right now it is an unbelievable 87 degrees outside so a little hard to think about soups...even though it is almost October!!
I can't wait for tomato bisque and grilled cheese sammies... Chili...Beef Stew.... Fish/Chorizo chowder... but alas... 87 friggin degrees.

It's under 70 today. Yay!

Won't see that again until it's under 60 on Friyay!

I know right? It is currently 67 here.... windows open, fans in windows blowing air in....awesome stuff.
I am out of chicken stock, so going to take advantage of the cooler temps to boil a chicken and make some more stock.
Bonz wants some chicken noodle soup and take the rest and make chicken salad.

Made a really good pork belly stew last night.
I cut the pork belly into about 1" squares, took a searing hot pan and carmalized the outsides. Being pork belly, that created a lot of rendered fat in the pan. Poured out half that out, then cooked some onions, celery and carrots till soft. Then I put in about maybe 2/3 cup of white wine and reduced in half and set aside.
Cut some potatoes down, took about 2 cups of chicken stock (make my own) into a pot along with a can of diced tomatoes and all ingredients including reduced wine sauce.
Added some thyme, 3 bay leaves and S&P. Brought to a boil and cooked on low for about 2 hours. (necessary to soften the pork belly). Added a little bit of water about half way through then closed the lid.
Turned out great!

Garlic Soup:
In a soup pot sautee in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil some choped onions and garlic, pour chicken stock or hot water with bouillon cube or chicken powder, then soy milk and bring to a creaming boil, then lower the heat and add day old bread crumbled in to thicken the soup and fresh parsley or parsley flakes, maybe some salt to season if the stock or chicken powder didn't already add enough salt.
It will be one of your favorite tasting easy prepared soups once you try it.

Nothing makes a house smell better than soup on the stove and sourdough bread in the oven.

recipe-image-legacy-id--1074495_11.jpg

Since the weather has turned I have made - Italian Wedding soup, butternut squash bisque, tomato soup, vegetable soup and last night carrot soup.
I love soup and thankfully so does Bonzi.

1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 TBS. Sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 TBS red wine vinegar
4 whole cloves

Italian Wedding Soup
Shortcut Pork Cassoulet

Another absolute family favorite that my grown kids ask for again and again when they come home from college: creamy white chicken chili. I had it many years ago and looked for the recipe in so many places--found a lot of "white chicken chili" but that just means white beans with chicken. The end step of adding the half and half and sour cream makes the chili so yummy and filling when the weather turns cold

Creamy White Chili

I made that recently and my son loved it.

Doesn't anyone cook with cabbage? I love cabbage...

I cook with cabbage but not soups. There is an unstuffed cabbage soup that I have tried but it was so bland there was no saving it. When I was little, my mom would put cabbage and kielbasa with some water or chicken broth and a lot of salt and pepper together.

Forum List

Back