Soups and Stews

I'm not a huge fan of either but I am going to incorporate a soup and sandwich night.
These are the ones that I remember liking.
Southwestern Pumpkin Soup

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boned rump roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 TBS. Sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 TBS red wine vinegar
1 (14 1/4 oz) can low salt beef broth
1 (14.5 oz) can no salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained
4 whole cloves
6 cups 1/3 inch-thick sliced onion, separated into rings

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add half the beef, cook 5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining beef.

Return beef to pan and add oregano and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine and next 7 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Add onion and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Discard cloves. Place in an airtight container and freeze. To serve: Thaw in refrigerator. Reheat in a Dutch oven until thoroughly heated.
And Fasolada which I already posted.
Italian Wedding Soup
This year I intend on doing these:
Shortcut Pork Cassoulet

Rick Bayless | Toasted Tortilla Soup with Fresh Cheese and Chile Pasilla

I would like to find a really excellent chicken tortilla soup (if the above fails) and a fantastic chicken and dumplings recipe that doesn't use some version of canned cream of celery/chicken soup.

Post your soups and stews.

My recipe?

Get meat
get veges ,,,some root some green
add some salt and a little sugar
add capsicums and tomatoes
add garlic
add wine (whatever's handy)

Plan B: instead of capsicums and tomato add potato and extra carrots

Put in pressure cooker....go through cycle TWICE
Serve with fresh bread/butter

Pretty much it when the tribe was young.

Greg

Doesn't anyone cook with cabbage? I love cabbage...

A very simple recipe as Dad cooked it:

Lots of meat
lot of cabbage
tomatoes and garlic
salt
sweet paprika

Cook for two hours

Evacuate neighbours but hell it was good.

Greg

I'm not a huge fan of either but I am going to incorporate a soup and sandwich night.
These are the ones that I remember liking.
Southwestern Pumpkin Soup

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boned rump roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 TBS. Sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 TBS red wine vinegar
1 (14 1/4 oz) can low salt beef broth
1 (14.5 oz) can no salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained
4 whole cloves
6 cups 1/3 inch-thick sliced onion, separated into rings

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add half the beef, cook 5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining beef.

Return beef to pan and add oregano and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine and next 7 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Add onion and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Discard cloves. Place in an airtight container and freeze. To serve: Thaw in refrigerator. Reheat in a Dutch oven until thoroughly heated.
And Fasolada which I already posted.
Italian Wedding Soup
This year I intend on doing these:
Shortcut Pork Cassoulet

Rick Bayless | Toasted Tortilla Soup with Fresh Cheese and Chile Pasilla

I would like to find a really excellent chicken tortilla soup (if the above fails) and a fantastic chicken and dumplings recipe that doesn't use some version of canned cream of celery/chicken soup.

Post your soups and stews.

Another absolute family favorite that my grown kids ask for again and again when they come home from college: creamy white chicken chili. I had it many years ago and looked for the recipe in so many places--found a lot of "white chicken chili" but that just means white beans with chicken. The end step of adding the half and half and sour cream makes the chili so yummy and filling when the weather turns cold

Creamy White Chili

I made that recently and my son loved it.

Oh I'm so glad! It's easy and a family favorite. Our daughter adds so much extra sour cream over and above the recipe it's almost nauseating...we say she has a side of food with her sour cream. heh

Definitely soup weather here. Low of 3 degrees tonight!

I have had beef stew in the crock pot since 10:00am.
I do not use beef broth as that is basically salt water with beef fat emulsified in.
I use stout beer/Worcestershire/tomato paste/water and then after browning the beef chunks I take red wine and deglaze/reduce and put that in as well.
Good Stuff.

Forum List

Back