SOS

f6ef5ae713038698f708dfb6c1c8a1bb.jpg
Who the hell puts PEAS with SOS?

You need HASH BROWNS.
SOS with peas is the traditional meal I know.
Never had peas with it anywhere I've ever had it.

Course in the military SOS wasn't made with chipped beef anyway, they made it with hamburger, same style gravy, and you could get it over toast or hash browns.
The military style you're referring to is called Creamed Beef except in the Air Force who doesn't know any better....... :eusa_whistle:

That's like calling a magazine a clip............ It's common nowadays but it's incorrect.

Last edited:
Chipped beef on toast has never been Biscuits and gravy
One is beef the other is pork

Yes, I know.

We're talking about the term SOS, though.

And we didn't put either beef or pork in our gravy down south. It was just regular white gravy. Maybe a little bit of black pepper in there.

Chipped beef on toast has never been Biscuits and gravy
One is beef the other is pork

Yes, I know.

We're talking about the term SOS, though.

And we didn't put either beef or pork in our gravy down south. It was just regular white gravy. Maybe a little bit of black pepper in there.
Isn’t the white gravy made with sausage drippings?

We always made it with whatever kind of lard we had at the time. It could have been either.

A lot of the fellers here are old school navy and army lugs. They always called cream chipped beef on toast SOS. That's pretty fancy SOS if you ask me.

We always made it with whatever kind of lard we had at the time. It could have been either.

A lot of the fellers here are old school navy and army lugs. They always called cream chipped beef on toast SOS. That's pretty fancy SOS if you ask me.
The only way to roll. Never had it before Army breakfast at chow hall in basic. Best on the Texas toast. I have tried, but for me it doesn't seem to translate completely to family sized, much less individualized preparation. Tried it at restaurants when I have seen it. Not the same.

SOS is supposed to be biscuits n gravy.
No it's not. Where da heck did you grow up? Mars?

I grew up in the mid-south. Blue Ridge Mountains.

It's biscuits n gravy where I come from.

Seems like yanks are redefining everything that was good these days.
Biscuits and gravy are not creamed chipped beef on toast therefore not SOS......
Granted people even call creamed beef (hamburger) on toast SOS though technically it's not SOS. However definitions within the common usage change and are added too constantly, heck we have so many words that no longer mean what the used to except in limited usage or if one is being pedantic like I am....... :D

Last edited:
First time having it was at USAF basic. Years later learned to spice it up with Tabasco.
Anything tastes better with Tabasco

You could eat a bug if it had enough Tabasco on it.
Tabasco is too vinegary for me. Cholula is better, I think, but living in Maine? We don't have a big selection to try. One drop of hot sauce sends my neighbors screaming. I'm not kidding. One. Drop.

New Topics

Forum List

Back