Soros - Moveon Threatens Congress

red states rule

May 30, 2006
It seems the anti war kook left is getting PO'd at the Dems in Congress

Daddy Big Bucks Soros and Moveon.org nuts are starting to bellow warnings to White Flag Reid and San Fran Nan

On Thursday, leaders of the liberal group MoveOn.org, including Tom Matzzie, the group’s Washington director who also serves as the campaign manager for the coalition, sent a harshly worded warning to the Democratic leadership.

“In the past few days, we have seen what appear to be trial balloons signaling a significant weakening of the Democratic position,” the letter read. “On this, we want to be perfectly clear: if Democrats appear to capitulate to Bush — passing a bill without measures to end the war — the unity Democrats have enjoyed and Democratic leadership has so expertly built, will immediately disappear.”

The letter went on to say that if Democrats passed a bill “without a timeline and with all five months of funding,” they would essentially be endorsing a “war without end.” MoveOn, it said, “will move to a position of opposition.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/w...711002c6&ex=1336104000&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Wow! Cool!

Cool that they are exercising their new found power from organizing the people. And ALL out in the open.....which is how it should be, instead of influences that we don't see that go on behind the scenes with our Reps!

I bet ya the Dems will consider their threat.... I had heard that the next bill might be just partial funding of the war through fall, while holding the rest back to negotiate with....but I am uncertain if this really is the case.

Soros said about a year ago that he was going to stop his contribution to moveon.org and politics in general.... so I do not believe he is funding it to any degree, anymore....the majority of their income has come from rallying the troops, from individuals, as of late...

Care

By all means, let the voters see the kooks and nuts who bankroll the Dem party

The more out in the open - the better

Moveon is a lobbiest group I do believe. That's what they all do, pressure politicians to go along with their interests. It's part of the american system.

Moveon is a lobbiest group I do believe. That's what they all do, pressure politicians to go along with their interests. It's part of the american system.

They said many times they have bought the Dems party and they own it

Given how much money Moveon.org and Soros pumps into the Dem party - I am sure they have the Dems attention

MoveOn, it said, “will move to a position of opposition.”

A toothless threat, for all its noise and bluster. What - realistically - is MoveOn's recourse here - to throw its support behind the Greens? Who, do they imagine, is their real-world alternative to the Democrat Party?

Wow! Cool!

Cool that they are exercising their new found power from organizing the people. And ALL out in the open.....which is how it should be, instead of influences that we don't see that go on behind the scenes with our Reps!

I bet ya the Dems will consider their threat.... I had heard that the next bill might be just partial funding of the war through fall, while holding the rest back to negotiate with....but I am uncertain if this really is the case.

Soros said about a year ago that he was going to stop his contribution to moveon.org and politics in general.... so I do not believe he is funding it to any degree, anymore....the majority of their income has come from rallying the troops, from individuals, as of late...

Care

Buying government is cool?:rolleyes:

what? is it only cool when rich republicans buy it?

I don't agree with buying government period. However, the reality is, if you can afford lobbyists you can. But just blatantly threatening a party that is supposedly elected to represent their constituents as a whole, and not just Soros and/or MoveOn.org, is pushing it just a bit too far IMO.

It is however, a PERFECT example of why a lot of used-to-be Democrats/liberals are not so any longer. The entire Democrat party is supported by extremsit leftwing special interest groups that can't agree on anything except on occasion. It shows most in who has controlled the White House for all but 12 years since 1968.

you don't spend much time hanging out at democratic party functions. I do. My party is absolutely NOT supported by extremist leftwing special interest groups that can't agree on anything. They might be under the tent...and it may be true that the rest of the folks under the tent have a hard time agreeing on anything, but the left wingers are hardly calling the tune.

The repubs have their own share of rightwing extremeness groups they cater to on occasion for votes. Not just a dem thing at all. This is how the system goes. I don’t think moveon’s taking it too far but I do think they are asking the unattainable and are not representative of most of the country or even most democrats.

you don't spend much time hanging out at democratic party functions. I do. My party is absolutely NOT supported by extremist leftwing special interest groups that can't agree on anything. They might be under the tent...and it may be true that the rest of the folks under the tent have a hard time agreeing on anything, but the left wingers are hardly calling the tune.

Of course it is. Why I bailed many moons ago.

The repubs have their own share of rightwing extremeness groups they cater to on occasion for votes. Not just a dem thing at all. This is how the system goes. I don’t think moveon’s taking it too far but I do think they are asking the unattainable and are not representative of most of the country or even most democrats.

There is a difference between tossing a bone to get a vote, and allowing the extremists to drive the train. Right wing extremists don't control anything.

Your last sentence contradicts itself. If MoveOn is not represeantive of most of the country or even most democrats, then they ARE taking it too far.

Of course it is. Why I bailed many moons ago.

since bailing, you have lost your ability -and your right - to claim to know who drives the democratic bus. I am in the trenches in the county committee and I KNOW who drives the bus....Soros does NOT drive the bus.... regardless of the Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity spinmeisters who proclaim otherwise.

since bailing, you have lost your ability -and your right - to claim to know who drives the democratic bus. I am in the trenches in the county committee and I KNOW who drives the bus....Soros does NOT drive the bus.... regardless of the Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity spinmeisters who proclaim otherwise.

Howso? Neither did my eyes fall out nor did my brain quit functioning.

And you know better than the Hannity/Rush jab .... I don't pay any attention to what either of them have to say.

I bailed because Democrats abandoned moderate liberal idealism when y'all let Jimmy steer the bus far-left. It has YET to right itself.

Gunny...I am telling ya.... my party is run by school board moms...and teachers and union shop stewards.... not moveon.org.

I will admit that the far left has a place under our tent....just like the far right wing has a place under the republican tent..... but they do NOT call the shots. I am there.... at the monthly county committee meetings...watching my party operate at the grass roots level and I am telling you you are mistaken.

And I KNOW that you are not beholden to Rush or Sean for your thoughts...but many who are claiming to understand the power of Soros are.

Your last sentence contradicts itself. If MoveOn is not represeantive of most of the country or even most democrats, then they ARE taking it too far.
They're not, if the dems listen to them it'll be at their own peril and if they boycott the dems they can kiss any hope of electing a candidate they do agree with good by. It’s just a bunch of posturing. I bet a lot of groups do it, they just don’t make the news. This is what they do.

Gunny...I am telling ya.... my party is run by school board moms...and teachers and union shop stewards.... not moveon.org.

I will admit that the far left has a place under our tent....just like the far right wing has a place under the republican tent..... but they do NOT call the shots. I am there.... at the monthly county committee meetings...watching my party operate at the grass roots level and I am telling you you are mistaken.

And I KNOW that you are not beholden to Rush or Sean for your thoughts...but many who are claiming to understand the power of Soros are.

Speaking of "claiming to understand" - please detail - according to your understanding - just who constitutes this "far right" which enjoys a place under the Republican tent.

Speaking of "claiming to understand" - please detail - according to your understanding - just who constitutes this "far right" which enjoys a place under the Republican tent.

those who would seek to make abortion the equivalent to murder in all instances.

Plus.... Strom Thurmond/Trent Lott/Charles Pickering racists.... they all enjoy a place - in some cases, a place of honor - under the republican tent.

Soros is last I heard one of if not the wealthiest man in the world. That can buy a lot of politics. MoveOn. must believe it has some clout or it would not make such a brazen threat, and it was to the arrogance and premise of the threat I responded to.

Going back to the bigger picture of my argument, our representatives are voted for by US to do what it best for US and this Nation, not cater to special interests who keep the coffers full.

Forum List

Back