Something the Russians and Japanese do we might copy.

Sep 12, 2008
I think they are both copying off a german model. I don't know if they still do it in Germany or not.

But in both Russian and Japanese schools(and i am sure it is the case in Taiwan and Korea as well) students are supposed to do clean up of their classrooms, the adjacent hallways and the school grounds. The duty rotates, but all the kids do it. At the primary and Jr high level they aren't expected to do it that well but it is part of the job of being in school.

In Russia the parents are expected to participate on a regular basis as well.

The goal here is to learn your place in society, and that jobs get done because people do them It is as much a part of the educational experience as the alphabet and the times table. It is part of becoming civilized.

Does anyone think this would be a good idea for US schools?

The unemployment rate would rise even further as the people presently paid to do the job would be out of work.

Also, lots of kids are involved in lots of activities. Sports, community service and paying jobs occupy my HS students' time, and then add on their academic requirements, and the opportunity or need to clean the school is non-existent.

Too many kids today do no work. Their parents buy expensive cell phone and electronic games to occupy their time. Put them out picking up the trash that they throw down. It will teach them respect. I worked in the school cafeteria in grade school and got a free lunch and got to keep my allowance, I was rich. It was my choice, I wanted more money and this was a way to get it. No foul

Here is the problem:

What happens if no body wants to participate in public educational activity in Russia, Japan, (or Germany)?

The fact is that this is a mute point because in Russia, Germany, and Japan, not participating in something as obviously beneficial to society as a clean, safe school is socially abhorent. Refusal to participate would make you a parriah, akin to rdean, or manifold.

I am at loss to guess what Americans could do that would be as socially unacceptable: Not cleaning your dogshit off your neighbor's lawn? Consistantly posting inane remarks online?

Forum List

Back