CDZ Some simple brilliance from Warren Buffet

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Just stumbled onto this gem from 2016, as Warren Buffet offers an idea for ending the federal deficit and fixing Congress in less than five minutes:

I can end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that any time there’s a deficit of more than 3 percent of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

There ya go. That would FORCE these people to focus, think and work together. They'd have to JUSTIFY their spending and taxing initiatives.

I'd still rather see term limits, but this would be a good second choice.

Last edited:
Just stumbled onto this gem from 2016, as Warren Buffet offers an idea for ending the federal deficit and fixing Congress in less than five minutes:

I can end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that any time there’s a deficit of more than 3 percent of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

There ya go. That would FORCE these people to focus, think and work together.

This might require some exceptions, say during a state of war, but wouldn't it be nice?

They ( the dinosaurs in D.C. ) would never allow this...

Great idea but alas it will never happen unless we overthrow the government which is something I would never advocate...

So what would all those unemployed congress critters do when they're out of a job?

They could always go to work on Buffet's railroad, cleaning up after all those oil spills and explosions...

The Man Behind the Exploding Trains

They ( the dinosaurs in D.C. ) would never allow this...

Great idea but alas it will never happen unless we overthrow the government which is something I would never advocate...
The only way this sticks is if it get put into the Constitution as an amendment, or else Congress would just vote to exempt itself every year do to any of a number of emergencies.

It would only pass as an amendment if we have an Article five constitutional amendment convention.

Its suppose to be our government, if we the majority united we could make anything we wanted happen. most of us keep them happy by attacking each other, that makes them happy. less happy for most of us.

This might require some exceptions, say during a state of war, but wouldn't it be nice?
You mean like GWoT?

As we are in a constant state of war, there certainly would not be any room for exceptions. We need to simply budget war into our normal plan OR end the constant state of war we have been in for decades.

While the latter is better it is even less likely than the fantasy that congress would pass a law limiting them from running if the deficit is overly large.

You mean like GWoT?

As we are in a constant state of war, there certainly would not be any room for exceptions. We need to simply budget war into our normal plan OR end the constant state of war we have been in for decades.

While the latter is better it is even less likely than the fantasy that congress would pass a law limiting them from running if the deficit is overly large.

I mean like an actual, declared war. That would make the exception extremely rare. :p

Forum List

Back