Some good news for a change

We have an inner city gang and thug problem.
Get rid of those and gun crimes almost become nonexistent.
And no getting rid of guns won't help because criminals dont follow our laws.
All you're doing is punishing the law abiding and making them easy targets as we see in Chicago.
I once knew an older black man who had been born and raised in the inner city. "Back in the day," he would say, when there was a disagreement there would be a fight. If the neighborhood knew that someone had raped a girl, they would get together, take him out back and beat the crap out of him. If there was a turf problem, there would be an all out rumble or a one on one fight between the top guys in each gang. People were seldom killed. Injured, yes, but seldom killed.

When drugs flooded the inner city things changed. Soon after the drugs came the guns. Did the neighborhood guys manufacture and move the guns into their neighborhood? No, they were brought in by outsiders, just like the drugs were. The guys in the hood are not the manufacturers of drugs and guns. They are often caught and jailed for using them, but the ones up top who provide them are seldom if ever held to account. They just get richer and richer off of the sale of their products.

I hope you understand that when you say "our laws" I know you mean the white man's laws. Because unjust laws have been common in the U.S. - like Jim Crow laws and laws that designated some people to be only 3/5 human and laws that justified lynchings and created a police force to hunt down and kill runaway slaves. Or how about laws that have greater penalties for crack used on the streets than for the cocaine used on wall street? Or laws that lock up someone for small amounts of weed and allow doctors to over prescribe oxy. As stated in the movie The Great Debaters, "St. Augustine said "An unjust law is no law at all."

And how do you know this? Do have Jamaican friends? I have a dear friend who is Jamaican, and she is not a hater of anyone.

Of course I have many Jamaican friends or I wouldn't have answered the way I did.
We go to Jamaica on a regular basis Negril being our main destination. We support several schools there with our donations.
We're also friends with many locals and spend time with them at their homes.

I once knew an older black man who had been born and raised in the inner city. "Back in the day," he would say, when there was a disagreement there would be a fight. If the neighborhood knew that someone had raped a girl, they would get together, take him out back and beat the crap out of him. If there was a turf problem, there would be an all out rumble or a one on one fight between the top guys in each gang. People were seldom killed. Injured, yes, but seldom killed.

When drugs flooded the inner city things changed. Soon after the drugs came the guns. Did the neighborhood guys manufacture and move the guns into their neighborhood? No, they were brought in by outsiders, just like the drugs were. The guys in the hood are not the manufacturers of drugs and guns. They are often caught and jailed for using them, but the ones up top who provide them are seldom if ever held to account. They just get richer and richer off of the sale of their products.

I hope you understand that when you say "our laws" I know you mean the white man's laws. Because unjust laws have been common in the U.S. - like Jim Crow laws and laws that designated some people to be only 3/5 human and laws that justified lynchings and created a police force to hunt down and kill runaway slaves. Or how about laws that have greater penalties for crack used on the streets than for the cocaine used on wall street? Or laws that lock up someone for small amounts of weed and allow doctors to over prescribe oxy. As stated in the movie The Great Debaters, "St. Augustine said "An unjust law is no law at all."

TLDR

Of course I have many Jamaican friends or I wouldn't have answered the way I did.
We go to Jamaica on a regular basis Negril being our main destination. We support several schools there with our donations.
We're also friends with many locals and spend time with them at their homes.
Good for you. My Jamaican friend lives on the North Coast where tourism is centered. When I asked her about feelings there about African Americans she said that much needs to be understood on both sides of the two very different cultures, but there is often little interest by either group.

She came to the United States and lived here for a while. When she first took her son to get him into school, she was told that he would be put on a vocational track. When she told them she wanted him on a track that would prepare him for college, they straight out told her that he would not do well in college prep and he would do better on the vocational one. She fought very hard to get him where he truly needed to be. They made the assumption that since he was black he was not qualified to go on to college.

She said as an upper class Jamaican, she was often told here in the U.S. that she was better than the blacks here, but she resisted that. She says media shows American Blacks as loud-mouthed criminals and West Indians are too often portrayed as having silly little "Yah, Mon" countries of no substance.

Personal exposure and experience gives us more understanding than media portrayals. Also, we can not say that Blacks this or Jamaicans that because even though we may know some folks we can never know everyone in any particular group and there are many differences within each.

Good for you. My Jamaican friend lives on the North Coast where tourism is centered. When I asked her about feelings there about African Americans she said that much needs to be understood on both sides of the two very different cultures, but there is often little interest by either group.

She came to the United States and lived here for a while. When she first took her son to get him into school, she was told that he would be put on a vocational track. When she told them she wanted him on a track that would prepare him for college, they straight out told her that he would not do well in college prep and he would do better on the vocational one. She fought very hard to get him where he truly needed to be. They made the assumption that since he was black he was not qualified to go on to college.

She said as an upper class Jamaican, she was often told here in the U.S. that she was better than the blacks here, but she resisted that. She says media shows American Blacks as loud-mouthed criminals and West Indians are too often portrayed as having silly little "Yah, Mon" countries of no substance.

Personal exposure and experience gives us more understanding than media portrayals. Also, we can not say that Blacks this or Jamaicans that because even though we may know some folks we can never know everyone in any particular group and there are many differences within each.

Your Jamaican friend.
That says it all,you have one friend who's an "upper class" Jamaican.
Get back with me when you have Jamaican friends that are of the everyday class.

Your Jamaican friend.
That says it all,you have one friend who's an "upper class" Jamaican.
Get back with me when you have Jamaican friends that are of the everyday class.
So because someone is upper class their opinion on a certain topic should not even be considered?
In my experience, even so-called everyday folks can have different opinions.

So because someone is upper class their opinion on a certain topic should not even be considered?
In my experience, even so-called everyday folks can have different opinions.

Nope.
You need to get your info from the common man when it comes to this type of info.
They're the ones who feel the economic pinch. The elite dont,just like Americans who think hollywood should be listened to.

Forum List

Back