Soldier Wanted In Multiple Homicides Found Dead

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Soldier Wanted In Multiple Homicides Found Dead

CBImages

PHILADELPHIA — A soldier suspected of killing four people in Pennsylvania and Virginia was found dead of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound in suburban Philadelphia after a daylong manhunt during which he fired at and injured officers, authorities said.

The body of Leonard John Egland, 37, of Fort Lee, Va., was found shortly after 3:30 p.m. Sunday in the Bucks County community of Warwick Township, where he had been sought since early morning, said Pennsylvania State Police spokesman David Lynch.

Egland fired at officers as he was sought in the Virginia deaths of his ex-wife, her boyfriend and the boyfriend's young son, as well as his former mother-in-law in Bucks County, police said.

A body found behind a township business under renovation matched the description and clothing of the suspect, said Mark Goldberg, police chief in Warwick Township. The coroner had yet to confirm the body as Egland's, he said.

Township residents had been asked to stay in their homes and lock doors and cars as local and state police and two SWAT teams searched for Egland, who evaded authorities as Hurricane Irene lashed the area.

"I know just from the way the phones were ringing in the police station that it was causing a great deal of anxiety among our people, and for us as well," Goldberg said. "It's a tragic event, but at least our residents can rest easy."

Police in Chesterfield County, Va., said Pennsylvania police had asked officers at 1 a.m. Sunday to check on the welfare of people at a home, where officers found the bodies of Egland's ex-wife, her boyfriend and his child. Names of the victims were not being released pending notification of relatives. A spokesman said the suspect had no known criminal history in the area.

Egland's former mother-in-law, 66-year-old Barbara Reuhl of Buckingham, Pa., was believed to have been killed Saturday night, said David Heckler, district attorney in Bucks County.

Also that night, Egland went to St. Luke's Hospital in Quakertown, where he tried to leave his young daughter along with a note, Heckler said. After a male nurse or orderly confronted him, he allegedly flashed a pistol, and the hospital worker called police with a description of the suspect and his black pickup truck.

Just before midnight, the truck was stopped by state and local police in Doylestown Township, where he allegedly fired shots from a semi-automatic rifle, hitting a Doylestown officer in the arm and shattering a windshield that sent glass into the face of a Dublin officer.

The truck was spotted around 4 a.m. Sunday parked at a restaurant in a Warwick Township shopping center, and local officers spotted the suspect in the same area about an hour later and reported being fired upon. No one was hit.

Hurricane Murders: John Egland, U.S. Soldier, Wanted In Multiple Homicides

You know.......this is one place where I suspect PTSD.

Might be nice if the government and the military would actually check these returning soldiers more carefully and give them the treatment and help they need.

I'd also be willing to bet that this dude spent more than 3 tours over in the war.

ABikerSailor said:
Might be nice if the government and the military would actually check these returning soldiers more carefully and give them the treatment and help they need.

They do. Psychiatric evaluation is mandatory after every deployment.

I don't think there's much that can be done for some. There's a certain point where it's the individuals responsibility to seek help, and it's their responsibility to recognize that what they're thinking about doing is not right. If they don't, and some shit like this happens, they only have themselves to blame. The help is there, the Army makes it well known that the help is available, and where it's at, but it only works if the person wants it. There's mental health, MFLC, support groups, vet centers, you name it, it exists. You can send the fucker to mental health every week for a year, but if that Soldier has made up his mind, then he's going to do what he's going to do. It's the Soldiers decision to do the right thing. Egland did the wrong thing.

I know we all like to think we're supermen that can solve any problem, and survive every hardship, but we're not. We're still human beings.

ABikerSailor said:

I don't think there's much that can be done for some. There's a certain point where it's the individuals responsibility to seek help, and it's their responsibility to recognize that what they're thinking about doing is not right. If they don't, and some shit like this happens, they only have themselves to blame. The help is there, the Army makes it well known that the help is available, and where it's at, but it only works if the person wants it. There's mental health, MFLC, support groups, vet centers, you name it, it exists. You can send the fucker to mental health every week for a year, but if that Soldier has made up his mind, then he's going to do what he's going to do. It's the Soldiers decision to do the right thing. Egland did the wrong thing.

I know we all like to think we're supermen that can solve any problem, and survive every hardship, but we're not. We're still human beings.

Unfortunately, you're correct. We know more about PTSD, and how to diagnose and treat it, than we ever have before, but too many still slip through the cracks, especially those who think they can "just handle it". It's still difficult for many who have adopted the warrior ethos to ask for help, or even take it when it's offered. To those of us who have been there, it's a familiar problem, and sometimes the result is a tragedy like this one. It's ironic and sad that the very qualities that make a man a good soldier can make it more difficult for him to recognize that he can't fight this battle alone. It's hard, for me anyway, to damn either this soldier, or the system; when you've walked through that particular valley, you know, that "there, but for the grace of God......"

ABikerSailor said:

Unfortunately, you're correct. We know more about PTSD, and how to diagnose and treat it, than we ever have before, but too many still slip through the cracks, especially those who think they can "just handle it". It's still difficult for many who have adopted the warrior ethos to ask for help, or even take it when it's offered. To those of us who have been there, it's a familiar problem, and sometimes the result is a tragedy like this one. It's ironic and sad that the very qualities that make a man a good soldier can make it more difficult for him to recognize that he can't fight this battle alone. It's hard, for me anyway, to damn either this soldier, or the system; when you've walked through that particular valley, you know, that "there, but for the grace of God......"

Good points Gadfly but remember we really are in unchartered waters here, this is the first time in our history where we have Military members going on deployments to combat zones 3, 4 times maybe even 5 or 6. I met someone in the Air Force who had been deployed 8 times since 9/11 started. Even in Vietnam you were only really expected to go back once, twice tops. We really are not that prepared to recieve these servicemen and Veterans when they come back and sadly I believe this is really only the tip of the iceberg.

Forum List

Back