Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2015
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
ZSC_6431n.jpg
ZSC_6630n.jpg
ZSC_6651n.jpg
ZSC_6765n.jpg

Step 1. Plug in soldering pencil and wait till it reaches working temperature.
Step 2. Go ahead and stick soldering pencil to your hand. You know it is going to happen anyway, and it's best to get that out of the way so you can concentrate on the work to be done.

Step 1. Plug in soldering pencil and wait till it reaches working temperature.
Step 2. Go ahead and stick soldering pencil to your hand. You know it is going to happen anyway, and it's best to get that out of the way so you can concentrate on the work to be done.
He be huffin' dim fumes of lead, oh yeah...

Nice pictures, but if you're going to do any serious soldering. be sure to have a wet sponge handy. Keep your tip clean, and you won't get any bad solder joints or STD's.

Nice pictures, but if you're going to do any serious soldering. be sure to have a wet sponge handy. Keep your tip clean, and you won't get any bad solder joints or STD's.

From the looks of that bench, besides the sponge, this guy better have an industrial fire extinguisher handy as welll

:banana:

From the looks of that bench, besides the sponge, this guy better have an industrial fire extinguisher handy as welll

:banana:

Guess he didn't get my joke about "cleaning the tip". Hope he didn't fall asleep with that thing plugged in, a fire extinguisher wouldn't help him. :biggrin:

That tip size gives you away. I'm working on 0.5mm pin pitch under a microscope. With TWO irons at a time..

So there !!!! :badgrin:

To heck with that. I peeked through a magnifying glass for 15 years, chasing electrons and replacing components. Rough on the eyes but the scare over "solder fumes" isn't as bad as people think.

That tip size gives you away. I'm working on 0.5mm pin pitch under a microscope. With TWO irons at a time..

To heck with that. I peeked through a magnifying glass for 15 years, chasing electrons and replacing components. Rough on the eyes but the scare over "solder fumes" isn't as bad as people think.

After about 20 years of that, I demanded my doctor do a lead test on a routine blood panel.

Nothing detected.. And I've sucked a lot of solder fumes. Even ate pizza in the solder holding hand.. :biggrin:

After about 20 years of that, I demanded my doctor do a lead test on a routine blood panel.

Nothing detected.. And I've sucked a lot of solder fumes. Even ate pizza in the solder holding hand.. :biggrin:

I can believe that. I haven't worked in the tech industry since the late 90's but have cast thousands of lead bullets since then. That's something I won't do in the garage because re-smelted wheel weights are pretty nasty: Lots of arsenic in those.

Forum List

Back