Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida

When it is December 22nd, the shortest day of the year and very cold, when the water goes outside to be warmed by said solar panel, how much heat is absorbed during the night? So when you wake up the next day your tank is nothing but freezing cold water? Or is there a electric/gas water heater inside your house just for those emergencies?
I wouldn't use a batch heater somewhere I thought it might freeze. No one (that I know of) makes commercial batch heaters. They're a DIY project. A full up solar water heater system has thermostatically controlled valves and recirc pumps. I guarantee you that even up north, they will reduce your water heater bill and not dowse you with cold water. For christ's sake, they've been making and selling them since the turn of the LAST century. You think they might have also thought about some of these issues or are you just the smartest human being there is?

Solar power got cheap. So why aren’t we using it more?​

It turns out there’s a lot of inertia built into the energy system.
Oct 8, 2021

Solar power got cheap. So why aren’t we using it more?

The cost of renewable energy, and solar in particular, has plummeted in the last decade. So why has there not been a green revolution?
www.popsci.com
www.popsci.com

""Solar, in particular, has cheapened at a blistering pace. Just 10 years ago, it was the most expensive option for building a new energy development. Since then, that cost has dropped by 90%, according to data from the Levelized Cost of Energy Report and as highlighted recently by Our World in Data. Utility-scale solar arrays are now the least costly option to build and operate."

1636727966508.png

`

Last edited:

Forum List

Back