Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida

Wrong!!!!!!

My stupid neighbor spent $30K for those idiotic solar panels. He had them installed last Spring.

When Hurricane Ian came and the power went out and we in the neigborhood had to power with our gas generators we all thought that maybe he was the smart one. Wrong! He was a dumbass. He spent all that money but he also had to use a gas generator. He ran one just like the rest of us and it was bright and sunny after the hurricane passed.

That solar shit don't work.
Hey flash, he will have to divide into that 30k how much per month that cost him on top of any electrical bill he receives. So let's say his normal bill prior to the purchase was 150 a month, one would have to take 150 into that 30k to find out how many months he just paid for his electricity. 30k/150 per month = 200 months or ~17 years. Wooo hooo for him huh? That doesn't take into account any maintenance that might be required in that 17 years of use. How's it cheaper exactly?

Reread Billy Bob's post #33. Nothing you've told us about your neighbor's solar panel supports your evaluation of the technology.
but one thing for certain, he will of paid for 17 years of 150 a month electricity charges. Isn't that sweet?

Hey flash, he will have to divide into that 30k how much per month that cost him on top of any electrical bill he receives. So let's say his normal bill prior to the purchase was 150 a month, one would have to take 150 into that 30k to find out how many months he just paid for his electricity. 30k/150 per month = 200 months or ~17 years. Wooo hooo for him huh? That doesn't take into account any maintenance that might be required in that 17 years of use. How's it cheaper exactly?
As an Engineer I have looked into the economics of getting a solar system. I have no problem getting a system if it was worthwhile.

However, when I do a real analysis it never works out. It always works out to lose money.

It would work out if I lived in a narrow sun belt in the Southwest or if I lived in one the stupid Democrat controlled states where they provide all kinds of thieving subsidies or idiotic incentives.

Reread Billy Bob's post #33. Nothing you've told us about your neighbor's solar panel supports your evaluation of the technology.
You idiot.

The fact that we had a massive power outage across the state including my area and the stupid neighbor, who had spent tens of thousands of dollars for the stupid solar set up, had to use a gas generator just like the rest of us speaks volumes. You being a card carrying Moon Bat Environmental Wacko would not understand. We Americans do understand.

Only morons buy solar.

A nice contemporary test of some of best usage new tech.
Solar + Battery in planned communities of good size some linked to the grid, some to other communities, and some houses linked to each other as well.
Many other non-Solars will wait days/weeks for power.

Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida​

Storm was the first big test for some communities powered by solar farms and battery storage​

10/15/2022
Wall Street Journal

"Neighborhoods powered by solar panels with backup batteries weathered the direct onslaught of Hurricane Ian in Florida, utilities and developers said, keeping the lights on throughout the storm while millions of others lost power.

At least three solar-powered communities near Fort Myers and Tampa made it through Ian without losing electricity. Some also had hardened electrical infrastructure, including buried lines and stronger power poles, that helped them weather the storm and its aftermath.

At the new Medley neighborhood south of Tampa, utility Tampa Electric Co. has a pilot project with 37 new homes equipped with utility-owned rooftop solar and home batteries. When Ian knocked out power to about 295,000 customers in the area, Medley was disconnected from the rest of the electric system, but it never lost power.

The power systems of the homes in Medley are linked and solar on the roof of one home has the ability to power neighboring houses, said Archie Collins, chief executive of Tampa Electric, a subsidiary of Emera Inc.
“They were isolated from the grid, and they rode through the entire hurricane without any loss of power, whereas the neighbors who weren’t on that microgrid unfortunately did lose power,” Mr. Collins said."...>

[............]

`

How do they dispose of those massive chemical and heavy metal batteries when they've reached the end of their lifespan?

So only 37 homes equipped with rooftop solar had power, while 295,000 customers had none?

This is big news, man!!! Solar power has saved the day in Florida, yup, you betcha!!!

Yowsa, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread! 37 homes still had power, out of 295,000. That's like 0.0125423728813559 percent!

Yuppers, that solar power has saved the day in the Sunshine state. Any day now there will be solar powered airplanes, solar powered washing machines, solar powered gas stations, even solar powered dildos.

:21: :lmao: :auiqs.jpg::laughing0301:
The rest had their solar panels blown off with the roof

The rest had their Solar Panels Blown off with the roof
OP link

"....Solar came back online to power the community the morning after the storm passed, when much of southwest Florida was without power.
In all, Florida Power & Light had 38 solar farms in the path of the storm, with just 0.3% of its 11.7 Million panels damaged, Mr. Silagy said.".."

`

OP link

"....Solar came back online to power the community the morning after the storm passed, when much of southwest Florida was without power.
In all, Florida Power & Light had 38 solar farms in the path of the storm, with just 0.3% of its 11.7 Million panels damaged, Mr. Silagy said.".."

`
Everyone knows this, but the sarcasm is mainly thrown around because of this radical idea that the Democrat's ran on with Biden somehow suggesting that it's a great thing to attack one of the most secure, long lasting, and very much needed commodity in this NATION, otherwise before the other could be proven to resolve the issue of us not needing our fossil fuels while slowly mixing in the other energy as it is being developed.

Everyone knows this, but the sarcasm is mainly thrown around because of this radical idea that the Democrat's ran on with Biden somehow suggesting that it's a great thing to attack one of the most secure, long lasting, and very much needed commodity in this NATION, otherwise before the other could be proven to resolve the issue of us not needing our fossil fuels while slowly mixing in the other energy as it is being developed.
Then the sarcasm is misplaced because what is needed is getting rid of fossil fuels.

So only 37 homes equipped with rooftop solar had power, while 295,000 customers had none?

This is big news, man!!! Solar power has saved the day in Florida, yup, you betcha!!!

Yowsa, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread! 37 homes still had power, out of 295,000. That's like 0.0125423728813559 percent!

Yuppers, that solar power has saved the day in the Sunshine state. Any day now there will be solar powered airplanes, solar powered washing machines, solar powered gas stations, even solar powered dildos.

:21: :lmao: :auiqs.jpg::laughing0301:

Too bad more homes in Florida didn't have solar.

Too bad more homes in Florida didn't have solar.
Talked to my neighbor the other day - True story - and I asked him about his solar panels, and how were they working out for him ? He told me quickly that if I was thinking about it, then "DON'T DO IT" he said ... It's not worth it he said. The amount of savings weren't worth it, and by the time you pay the system off it's worn out and has to be replaced ... He said the huge cost outweighed the meager savings one gets out of it .. I believed him.

Talked to my neighbor the other day - True story - and I asked him about his solar panels, and how were they working out for him ? He told me quickly that if I was thinking about it, then "DON'T DO IT" he said ... It's not worth it he said. The amount of savings weren't worth it, and by the time you pay the system off it's worn out and has to be replaced ... He said the huge cost outweighed the meager savings one gets out of it .. I believed him.

I installed solar hot water in 1979 for a large four bathroom house. Cut my utility bill in half... and still going strong.

As Soon As Possible.
That's just pure stupidity.... That's why you all are losing, because you all are extremist, and the nation is finally waking up to your stupendous ridiculous ideology or running around yelling that the sky oh wait that the earth is going to die if we don't somehow save it.

My daughter and her husband got them, in Orlando, and I was a bit gobsmacked by the cost. But they seems to think it was worth it and are still happy with them. They weren't "allowed" to get a battery to tide them over power outages but they tell me that is changing and they will be getting one. FP&L, however, has a tremendous record at restoring electricity after storms. Practice makes perfect I guess. So, are you and your neighbor in Florida?

Then the sarcasm is misplaced because what is needed is getting rid of fossil fuels.
We don't need to get rid of them completely.

Reduce yes but we can still keep fossil fuels in the mix

We do need to ramp up our use of next generation nuclear reactors

That's just pure stupidity.... That's why you all are losing, because you all are extremist, and the nation is finally waking up to your stupendous ridiculous ideology or running around yelling that the sky oh wait that the earth is going to die if we don't somehow save it.
Perhaps you should first have asked me what I meant by "Possible".

New Topics

Forum List

Back