Solar panels failing after 2 years!

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Temecula California
In another blow to "Renewable" Energy, Solar Panels are failing after 2 years of use. Everything we are told about Solar Power being Clean, Green, Renewable, that lasts forever is a lie.

I must thank Matthew, ClosedCaption, and Old Crock for requesting this thread. Here you go "boys", read it and weep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/b...lar-powers-dark-side.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

LOS ANGELES — The solar panels covering a vast warehouse roof in the sun-soaked Inland Empire region east of Los Angeles were only two years into their expected 25-year life span when they began to fail.

Coatings that protect the panels disintegrated while other defects caused two fires that took the system offline for two years, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenues.

PANEL-articleLarge.jpg

In another blow to "Renewable" Energy, Solar Panels are failing after 2 years of use. Everything we are told about Solar Power being Clean, Green, Renewable, that lasts forever is a lie.

I must thank Matthew, ClosedCaption, and Old Crock for requesting this thread. Here you go "boys", read it and weep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/b...lar-powers-dark-side.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

LOS ANGELES — The solar panels covering a vast warehouse roof in the sun-soaked Inland Empire region east of Los Angeles were only two years into their expected 25-year life span when they began to fail.

Coatings that protect the panels disintegrated while other defects caused two fires that took the system offline for two years, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenues.

PANEL-articleLarge.jpg
Is this your only example? Sounds like defective work like it says in the article. I know a guy that has solar panels that are 20 years old and they still work just fine.

Think of the hydrocarbons that are used simply manufacturing this stuff.
Mind blowing.
The decommissioning/disposal of components and materials isn't exactly friendly to the environment. :lol:

Interesting so they demand confidentiality agreements? I can think of only one reason for that...

Energy analyst Todd Woody points out that no one is exactly certain how pervasive the problem is, writing:

There are no industry-wide figures about defective solar panels. And when defects are discovered, confidentiality agreements often keep the manufacturer's identity secret, making accountability in the industry all the more difficult.

Solar Failures Rising

Well, when you go with the lowest bidder, without looking at the past record of that bidder, this is what you get. Will it affect the manufactures of defective panels? Yes. Will it affect those with a good record? No. Just shake out the less reputable manufacturors. Happens with every new product.

Well, when you go with the lowest bidder, without looking at the past record of that bidder, this is what you get. Will it affect the manufactures of defective panels? Yes. Will it affect those with a good record? No. Just shake out the less reputable manufacturors. Happens with every new product.
Normal business cycles seem to baffle people.

Mine are still in excellent shape after 8 years.
Do you guys have "green" roofs as well where you live?
Is that a comment on the fact that I live in Ireland, or a real thing?
I knew you lived in europe but I didnt know what country. This is a picture of a "green" roof in Ireland. It retains water and keeps the home cool during the summer. It consists of plants (usually heat tolerant low water needing plants).

544737_1c298897.jpg

The same thing happens to various manufactured goods.

Ultimately, the problem isn't defective items but low energy returns. The global economy requires the opposite.

Mine are still in excellent shape after 8 years.
Do you guys have "green" roofs as well where you live?
Is that a comment on the fact that I live in Ireland, or a real thing?
I knew you lived in europe but I didnt know what country. This is a picture of a "green" roof in Ireland. It retains water and keeps the home cool during the summer. It consists of plants (usually heat tolerant low water needing plants).

544737_1c298897.jpg
I have heard a bit about these, but have done no research on them.

PANEL-articleLarge.jpg
Is this your only example? Sounds like defective work like it says in the article. I know a guy that has solar panels that are 20 years old and they still work just fine.

I am speaking of Industrial Scale Solar Panels, not the low use, simple Solar panels a house uses. I see I did not make that clear.

But it is not my only example, there are thousands and when I have time I will post more examples.

PANEL-articleLarge.jpg

I am speaking of Industrial Scale Solar Panels, not the low use, simple Solar panels a house uses. I see I did not make that clear.

But it is not my only example, there are thousands and when I have time I will post more examples.
Even if you do then you are only citing examples of a normal business cycle. This is a relatively new market niche. There are always unscrupulous people that flood the market with cheap, poorly made systems or service. Once it levels out then you will see less and less of these stories.

Forum List

Back