Solar Community In Ft. Meyers Florida Never Lost Power During Hurricane Ian

Meh...everything I own is paid for so I dont worry too much about utilities.
Lol. So you like throwing money away and dislike guaranteed comfort. I get it. Lol. Ya I still want more boats another house down south for the winter. Some classic cars more travel. Houses for my kids. More leased land to hunt etc.

I’m still trying to figure how solar panels survived the winds. Each panel catches a lot of wind.
Perhaps the panels were buried underground?!!
Otherwise the story is a virtue signaling implausibility

Lol. So you like throwing money away and dislike guaranteed comfort. I get it. Lol. Ya I still want more boats another house down south for the winter. Some classic cars more travel. Houses for my kids. More leased land to hunt etc.

How is my comfort not guaranteed?
I have a large gen set. Not only that I have plenty of money,especially for my utility bills.
I havent had a house payment since I was 30.
So go ahead and spend 25K on a whole house system...but ya better not move or you'll have to pay for it all over again.
Oh...I've had my fill of boats. I might buy a pontoon for the living room on water aspect but not likely.
Dont have any kids but we are putting my Niece through college. As far as hunting goes I already have a 6k acre lease for that.

I’m still trying to figure how solar panels survived the winds. Each panel catches a lot of wind.
Perhaps the panels were buried underground?!!
Otherwise the story is a virtue signaling implausibility
IF you look at the map, these panels are near ground level and at an angle. The wind came from the low side of the panels. This means that they protected each other. much as wedge will break the wind. 35% of the field was damaged. The got very lucky. that's it. Had the wind changed directions just 45 degrees it would have littered the fields.

Babcock Ranch calls itself “America’s first solar-powered town.” Its nearby solar array — made up of 700,000 individual panels — generates more electricity than the 2,000-home neighborhood uses, in a state where most electricity is generated by burning natural gas, a planet-warming fossil fuel.

So when Hurricane Ian came barreling toward southwest Florida this week, it was a true test for the community. The storm obliterated the nearby Fort Myers and Naples areas with record-breaking surge and winds over 100 mph. It knocked out power to more than 2.6 million customers in the state, including 90% of Charlotte County.

But the lights stayed on in Babcock Ranch.

“We have proof of the case now because [the hurricane] came right over us,” Nancy Chorpenning, a 68-year-old Babcock Ranch resident, told CNN. “We have water, electricity, internet — and we may be the only people in Southwest Florida who are that fortunate.”

That'll work well in Minnesota winters - you betcha! :)

Forum List

Back