CDZ Social media has become too big to remain private.... YES or NO?

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
Given that internet access is no longer an option but a necessity....does it not follow that like electricity and access to fuel oils and gasses....social media has no become an need instead of a choice or a luxury? I for one am not in favor of government controlling anything.....but in the case of real necessities like heat and lights somebody has to oversee the process lest we get scalpers who deny access except for usurious payment.....likewise with the internet and social media.....Dominion has demonstrated that any politician who wants to win an election need only pay them for it. Is it time for a governing regulator specifically for the internet and social media as well?

What do you say?

The current situation cannot work. Of course nothing can or will be done under Biden. We do need to break the power of big tech or this Republic will not survive.

Trump may have been the last chance. Maybe America will still be enough of America to vote out Harris in 2024, and then we can try again to save this nation.

I'm trying to remember . . . why did energy and utilities have to become public? Why did government have to be a vendor? What clause in the Constitution provides for this?

It's a good question really.....and in truth the government does not have the ability to provide any of those things and yet they must guarantee access to all lest some be denied based on prejudice or preference. Truth is we are always in the hands of privateers even if they are contracted out by the government.....

JO

No. Private property is private property.

If you want to try to make a case that the internet is no longer an option but a necessity, I disagree but it isn't that far-fetched.

But even if the internet is a necessity, social media is not. And just because more people want it does not mean you take it away from the owners.

The current situation cannot work. Of course nothing can or will be done under Biden. We do need to break the power of big tech or this Republic will not survive.

Trump may have been the last chance. Maybe America will still be enough of America to vote out Harris in 2024, and then we can try again to save this nation.

Trump is not out even if he has to leave the White house.....he will be larger than the presidency for the next four years and no election will ever have this problem again.

JO

I'm trying to remember . . . why did energy and utilities have to become public? Why did government have to be a vendor? What clause in the Constitution provides for this?

It's a good question really.....and in truth the government does not have the ability to provide any of those things and yet they must guarantee access to all lest some be denied based on prejudice or preference. Truth is we are always in the hands of privateers even if they are contracted out by the government.....

JO
A private company that does not provide service to certain communities or neighborhoods is not a a company that denies service to those communities and neighborhoods. It's just a company that doesn't provide service to them.

Trump is not out even if he has to leave the White house.....he will be larger than the presidency for the next four years and no election will ever have this problem again.

JO

Why not?

Given that internet access is no longer an option but a necessity....does it not follow that like electricity and access to fuel oils and gasses....social media has no become an need instead of a choice or a luxury? I for one am not in favor of government controlling anything.....but in the case of real necessities like heat and lights somebody has to oversee the process lest we get scalpers who deny access except for usurious payment.....likewise with the internet and social media.....Dominion has demonstrated that any politician who wants to win an election need only pay them for it. Is it time for a governing regulator specifically for the internet and social media as well?

What do you say?
No. Not in America. If you want to control a platform, start your own or move to a country of strict government control if that is what you like.

I'm going to post and I'm not on social media- won't ever be for that matter- as for the internet, it should be regulated just like any other business- oh, wait- FCC- it already is regulated... DC style- choose winners and losers based on campaign contributions- can you say corporations are people and have the right to free speech?
The Empty Suit brigade in the District of Criminals has proven for generations it doesn't do its job (per the rules for it) - so, where does that put us?

It presents opportunity- sadly, funding for said opportunity is regulated by the very ones opportunity wants to compete with- there ain't no saving this ship- when havoc is created, chaos ensues and catastrophe is inevitable-
the havoc was created a long time ago- a timeline could be assigned to 1776- it's been chaotic since then- so, what is inevitable?

No. Private property is private property.

If you want to try to make a case that the internet is no longer an option but a necessity, I disagree but it isn't that far-fetched.

But even if the internet is a necessity, social media is not. And just because more people want it does not mean you take it away from the owners.

If they are apply standards in a partisan manner to interfere in the election, then they are a problem for this nation that should be addressed.

JO
A private company that does not provide service to certain communities or neighborhoods is not a a company that denies service to those communities and neighborhoods. It's just a company that doesn't provide service to them.

A company that says it will provide a service and then uses the power that providing that service gives them to pick sides and to censor one side and aide another, and interfere in an election,

is a problem that should be addressed by regulation.

JO

A company that says it will provide a service and then uses the power that providing that service gives them to pick sides and to censor one side and aide another, and interfere in an election,

By regulation, perhaps.

By government becoming a vendor of services? No.

JO

By regulation, perhaps.

By government becoming a vendor of services? No.

By hook or crook, if we do not solve this problem, the republic cannot survive.

What do you say?

I do think the big tech giants should be able to be sued if they censor you. You better believe they will be more careful in who they censor if they can be sued for it.

What do you say?

I do think the big tech giants should be able to be sued if they censor you. You better believe they will be more careful in who they censor if they can be sued for it.

I am curious what you think the basis for the lawsuit would be?

What do you say?

If you are posting information and they censor your information as long as it's not inciting violence. There should be a way to sue them if they are taking away your free speech.

What do you say?

If you are posting information and they censor your information as long as it's not inciting violence. There should be a way to sue them if they are taking away your free speech.

No one is taking away your free speech. The 1st amendment does not give you rights to private property. It protects you from being silenced by the gov't.

Forum List

Back