So... Which region do you think Afghanistan is in?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
It's kind of disturbing to me how many people (primarily anti-war libs but not exclusively) have gotten this totally wrong, especially considering how long we've been at war there. As a bonus question, which madhhab is the Taliban and why is it important?

It's kind of disturbing to me how many people (primarily anti-war libs but not exclusively) have gotten this totally wrong, especially considering how long we've been at war there. As a bonus question, which madhhab is the Taliban and why is it important?
It's sort of a toss-up between the middle east and eastern Europe. Afghanistan borders Iran, Pakistan and the former Russian hostage countries to the north. I have NO IDEA what madhhab is. Taliban is who we have been fighting in Afghan...since 9-11.

I would guess very few people know which madhhab the Taliban align themselves with. And knowing which madhhab they are is nothing more than the answer to a trivia question if one does not understand the difference between the schools of law.

To the question of what region Afghanistan is in I would say they could be considered in the Middle East. I would categorize three Middle Easts. The biggest one is from Egypt to Pakistan. Granted Egypt and Pakistan, once part of India, are geographically outside of the Middle East. I would not include Turkey but that is a close one. If we can divide countries west Turkey, no, east Turkey yes. But I think Turkey is turning more Middle Eastern than European. The second would be within the borders of Egypt, Iran, and Turkey. The third would be countries directly involved in the Israel/Palestinian conflict. When people say, "There has never been peace in the Middle East they are probably referring to this Middle East." So what region is Afghanistan in? Depends.

I feel like people don't really appreciate what the country is really like. They see the reporting on the Taliban and the poorest Pashtun villages of Helmand and Kandahar and assume that's the entire country.

I feel like people don't really appreciate what the country is really like. They see the reporting on the Taliban and the poorest Pashtun villages of Helmand and Kandahar and assume that's the entire country.
I've been wanting to post this for a while and this seems a good place. I was watching an amateur video of conflict in Syria about a year and a half ago. The camera man is following a fighter as he runs from one side of the building he was in to the other. He was on about the third floor of a building. He runs through a room and it is a bedroom and although it can be seen that fighters run back and forth often through the room the dresser was in pristine condition and the little figurines where aligned nicely along the top. The bed was made with a nice comforter and the night stands looked dust free and the lamps looked like only last night they had been used to get a little late reading in before getting some sleep. Needless to say, hopefully I have said, the scene was surreal but deeply tragic.

New Topics

Forum List

Back