So what do we have to do?

To regain the trust of the American people?

If by "we" you mean Republicans, they never had the trust of the American people. The majority of Americans are moderate to moderate conservative. Not alienating their vote is the key to winning. It's been that way since Bush-Clinton, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

If by "we" you mean Republicans, they never had the trust of the American people. The majority of Americans are moderate to moderate conservative. Not alienating their vote is the key to winning. It's been that way since Bush-Clinton, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

I mean conservatives.

Many on this message board will not like this advice, but this is what it is going to take to get mainstream America back in the Republican camp (these are the things that should have been done when Republicans controlled Congress; they are going to be very difficult to accomplish now):

- commit to a balanced federal budget within a particular timeframe and stop spending like there’s no tomorrow; fiscal conservatives are alienated by Republican overspending.
- get immediate control over the southern border; militarize the border if necessary.
- commit to a specific phased withdrawal from Iraq that will occur within a certain long-term timeframe, with over-the-horizon redeployment if necessary.
- outline a real plan to reduce the trade deficit.
- show how overseas job flight will be reduced; and when jobs are lost due to globalization, specify the real world re-education programs that will keep workers on their financial feet.
- create a concrete, doable program for energy independence that has the urgency of the Manhattan Project; do not say one damn retro word about more drilling.
- get some major distance from the religious rightwing cultural agenda.
- make sure there is space between the Republican Party and mean-spirited rightwing media commentators like Limbaugh and his ilk; they just drive away moderate voters.

Moderate voters are turned off by what is seen as the increasing influence of the rightwing religious agenda in the Republican Party, especially the President. The veto of ESCR is an example of this, and may have cost a Senate seat in Missouri. Unlike many members of this message board, most of America is middle-of-the-road and they do not want rightwing religious influence in the White House or Congress. There are millions of non-evangelical Christians that are turned off by evangelicals injecting their religion into public policy. They ask: who’s religion and where do they get off inflicting their religious view on the rest of us? Keep in mind that the “rest of us” far outnumber the evangelicals. My parents, who have voted for Republicans their entire lives, switched their allegiance last Tuesday for precisely this reason. They think, as do many Americans, that the Republican Party is too influenced by the religious right.

This is my view of what it is going to take to get middle America firmly back in the Republican camp.

Many on this message board will not like this advice, but this is what it is going to take to get mainstream America back in the Republican camp (these are the things that should have been done when Republicans controlled Congress; they are going to be very difficult to accomplish now):

- commit to a balanced federal budget within a particular timeframe and stop spending like there’s no tomorrow; fiscal conservatives are alienated by Republican overspending.
- get immediate control over the southern border; militarize the border if necessary.
- commit to a specific phased withdrawal from Iraq that will occur within a certain long-term timeframe, with over-the-horizon redeployment if necessary.
- show how overseas job flight will be reduced; and when jobs are lost due to globalization, specify the real world re-education programs that will keep workers on their financial feet.
- create a concrete, doable program for energy independence that has the urgency of the Manhattan Project; do not say one damn retro word about more drilling.
- make sure there is space between the Republican Party and mean-spirited rightwing media commentators like Limbaugh and his ilk; they just drive away moderate voters.

Moderate voters are turned off by what is seen as the increasing influence of the rightwing religious agenda in the Republican Party, especially the President. The veto of ESCR is an example of this, and may have cost a Senate seat in Missouri. Unlike many members of this message board, most of America is middle-of-the-road and they do not want rightwing religious influence in the White House or Congress. There are millions of non-evangelical Christians that are turned off by evangelicals injecting their religion into public policy. They ask: who’s religion and where do they get off inflicting their religious view on the rest of us? Keep in mind that the “rest of us” far outnumber the evangelicals. My parents, who have voted for Republicans their entire lives, switched their allegiance last Tuesday for precisely this reason. They think, as do many Americans, that the Republican Party is too influenced by the religious right.

This is my view of what it is going to take to get middle America firmly back in the Republican camp.

I was with you until the end. The influence of religion is an overrated myth started by the left and promulgated by the MSM.

I dont think the issues are a problem. We are right on the issues. The problem is the public doesnt trust the Republicans to act on the issues.

I dont think the issues are a problem. We are right on the issues. The problem is the public doesnt trust the Republicans to act on the issues.

That's because they've all been slaves to "Compassionate Conservatism" for the past six years and seem to have forgotten how to actually act on the issues.

Is there even one person on here who is Conservative that believes that we should not close the gaping border hole as a portion of the "War on Terror"?

Is there even one person on here who is Conservative that believes that we should not close the gaping border hole as a portion of the "War on Terror"?

Now if you want one of the REAL reason the Republicans didn't get support in this election, you just hit the nail on the head. The border needs to be locked down. Illegals are criminals. They are breaking the law. No reward. No deal. Enforce the law and enforce our sovereignty.

I couldn't agree more. Action on issues important to the whole Country. But when ya can't see the forest for the trees to start with...well......you lose big time.

We've seen it before and will again I'm sure. Hitch yer wagon to a star (the religious rightwing cultural agenda in this case) and the universe will crush you..happens everytime.

I was with you until the end. The influence of religion is an overrated myth started by the left and promulgated by the MSM.
Myth or no, it is a big factor. You may not see this influence in Texas, but on both coasts, where Republicans are lost in a sea of blue, the undue influence in the government of rightwing religious groups is believed by many in the electorate. Ted Haggard, the fired leader of the New Life Church, frequently spoke directly with Bush, no one denies that. Do not think that such is lost on the general electorate. If there is anything that the majority of Americans categorically reject it is that a particular religion has undue influence on government policy. Personal beliefs are one thing, but the Republican Party needs to get some major distance from the rightwing religious and cultural agenda, especially TV evangelicals.

Forum List

Back