So Much Of The Nativity Story Is Made Up

There are plenty of details on Christ's birth in these short readings.
Luke 2:4-7 The Birth of Jesus
Luke 2:8-20 The Shepherds and the Angels
Matthew 2:1-16 The Visit of the Magi

No, it didn't all take place on the same night and no animals or drummer boys are mentioned in the Bible.
That's why they call it a pageant.

All of that extra stuff is still nice, but yeah,.. definitely not truth.

Well the entire ritual of festivus was derived from 6th century proto European aboriginal riding the ceremonial yak over the sunrise marker to celebrate the lowest rise of the sun on the calendar. Its like the African celebration of Kielbasa, now called Kwanza.

I find it funny of how little the Bible discusses the birth of Christ. I think all it mentions is that He was laid in a manger and that there were flocks of sheep that the shepherds were tending to out in the fields. In every nativity scene we see animals in the stable with Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and the angel.

Yet the Bible mentions none of this. We assume there were animals because Jesus was laid in a manger, but that doesn't mean they were in there at the time of His birth. We don't even know if He was born in a stable, as it could have been very well a cave or something. And the angel that came to tell Mary that she was going to give birth to Jesus probably wasn't in there with them at night until it came back to warn them that King Herod wanted to kill Jesus and that they needed to leave.

As for the three wise men, how do we know that Jesus was still a newborn when they went to give Him their gifts? All we know is that they did give them to Him and that they were gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Only everybody involved in the telling of this story actually know what happened for real the night Christ was born, we can only speculate and connect the dots as much as we can.

Why does it matter? While what follows is not directed at you personally, I for one am sick and tired of random, low caliber "holy men" adding their own "extra" narrative to biblical accounts. This tendency, to add or subtract personal information or "theories" from scripture, speaks to a much, much larger and more dire problem with modern Christianity. Christianity has been corporatized to the point of becoming a multi-billion dollar industry. For once, just for once, I wish fellow Christians would stand down, stand back, and ask themselves, "What would The Man who died for them on the cross have wanted?" I've often thought Christ would be sickened by the organized belief systems and practices which have been created and carried out in his name these past thousand years. Either way, what does it matter how the Christmas nativity is displayed?

The parables of Jesus mean the most to me. The characterizations and such always "evolve" over the time of a religion.

There are plenty of inaccuracies and debate about dates, times and events in history, this isn't at all exclusive to Christianity. I just rely on the bible itself and decipher it accordingly.

I find it funny of how little the Bible discusses the birth of Christ. I think all it mentions is that He was laid in a manger and that there were flocks of sheep that the shepherds were tending to out in the fields. In every nativity scene we see animals in the stable with Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and the angel.

Yet the Bible mentions none of this. We assume there were animals because Jesus was laid in a manger, but that doesn't mean they were in there at the time of His birth. We don't even know if He was born in a stable, as it could have been very well a cave or something. And the angel that came to tell Mary that she was going to give birth to Jesus probably wasn't in there with them at night until it came back to warn them that King Herod wanted to kill Jesus and that they needed to leave.

As for the three wise men, how do we know that Jesus was still a newborn when they went to give Him their gifts? All we know is that they did give them to Him and that they were gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Only everybody involved in the telling of this story actually know what happened for real the night Christ was born, we can only speculate and connect the dots as much as we can.

The Bible is mostly made up... so, yeah

Yet the Bible mentions none of this. ...

-----
The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s crib, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.
-----

-----

Advent_2_Kerzen.jpg

Have a nice 2nd Advent Sunday.

This may come as a shock to you but the whole God thing is rubbish. Immaculate conception and virgin births ?
Don't make me vomit. You can't be that gullible.

Well the angels appeared to the shepherds, so that part is right.

Otherwise, yes. The story gets all mashed up into what is a "nativity scene".

I only know that Joseph went to Bethlehem to pay his taxes. Taxes were collected in August and the tax records still exist.

Anyone is welcome to fact check my statements. I could be wrong.

I thought it was for the census. Nobody travels in August.

... I am one of them. Do you mind explaining what you mean? ...

I meant some people who think they are experts in interpreting the bible may also get a good feeling for this what they don't read in the bible. And I mean it exists a very good reason why the ox and the donkey are where Christ will be born in 2021 - just around the next corner - in the little town of Bethlehem.

PS: Did you ever think about how 'strange' it is to sing a cradle song for the [son of the] allmighty creator of the whole universe?

Last edited:
Simple, his question "what does it matter how many nativity scenes" is what it has to do with. Democrats HATE nativity scenes.

I have always loved passion plays. In Arabia we used to have a live Nativity scene at the ballfield with goats and donkeys and wisemen on camels. It was spectacular. .. with angels singing on the roof of the manger.

I meant some people who think they are experts in interpreting the bible may also get a good feeling for this what they don't read in the bible. And I mean it exists a very good reason why the ox and the donkey are where Christ will be born in 2021 - just around the next corner - in the little town of Bethlehem.

Umm,.. Jesus isn't going to be born twice as He's not coming back as a baby next time and nobody ever said that it would be this year. He's going to be riding a white horse or something and a baby can't do that. Not to mention the fact that Jesus is/was a hundred percent human too and all humans are only born once.

Forum List

Back