So Much Of The Nativity Story Is Made Up

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I find it funny of how little the Bible discusses the birth of Christ. I think all it mentions is that He was laid in a manger and that there were flocks of sheep that the shepherds were tending to out in the fields. In every nativity scene we see animals in the stable with Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and the angel.

Yet the Bible mentions none of this. We assume there were animals because Jesus was laid in a manger, but that doesn't mean they were in there at the time of His birth. We don't even know if He was born in a stable, as it could have been very well a cave or something. And the angel that came to tell Mary that she was going to give birth to Jesus probably wasn't in there with them at night until it came back to warn them that King Herod wanted to kill Jesus and that they needed to leave.

As for the three wise men, how do we know that Jesus was still a newborn when they went to give Him their gifts? All we know is that they did give them to Him and that they were gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Only everybody involved in the telling of this story actually know what happened for real the night Christ was born, we can only speculate and connect the dots as much as we can.

I didn't say that Jesus being born was made up, I said the details surrounding His birth were. Didn't you read my OP?

Also, it could be true too,.. I just meant that we assumed what happened without knowing for sure.

Yet the Bible mentions none of this. We assume there were animals because Jesus was laid in a manger, but that doesn't mean they were in there at the time of His birth. We don't even know if He was born in a stable, as it could have been very well a cave or something.
Years ago I heard this explanation:

The word used for "inn" was also used for the guest room, or upper room of a house. Mary and Joseph may have been a crowded home of relatives, not quite the atmosphere where a young woman would want to give birth. In Biblical times, animals were often housed in the lower level of the home during the night to protect from thieves and/or bad weather. Mary would have had more privacy in this area, and it may have even been a bit warmer due to body heat generated by the animals. The animals were more than likely a couple of sheep or goats and a donkey. There may have been an ox.

I have also heard that Jesus may well have been a toddler by the time the three wise men arrived. The bible account say that the wise men came to the house (i.e., not a stable or cave).

I find it funny of how little the Bible discusses the birth of Christ. I think all it mentions is that He was laid in a manger and that there were flocks of sheep that the shepherds were tending to out in the fields. In every nativity scene we see animals in the stable with Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and the angel.

Yet the Bible mentions none of this. We assume there were animals because Jesus was laid in a manger, but that doesn't mean they were in there at the time of His birth. We don't even know if He was born in a stable, as it could have been very well a cave or something. And the angel that came to tell Mary that she was going to give birth to Jesus probably wasn't in there with them at night until it came back to warn them that King Herod wanted to kill Jesus and that they needed to leave.

As for the three wise men, how do we know that Jesus was still a newborn when they went to give Him their gifts? All we know is that they did give them to Him and that they were gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Only everybody involved in the telling of this story actually know what happened for real the night Christ was born, we can only speculate and connect the dots as much as we can.
It's always a risk to open up your universe to other writers. Canon can get out of control. It's why Disney reset the Star Wars universe after they bought it.

I haven't seen these videos yet because I haven't had the time, but these look sort of interesting.

I think you're confusing scripture and Christmas pageantry.

He was laid in a manger

I never got laid in a manger! :mad:

I only know that Joseph went to Bethlehem to pay his taxes. Taxes were collected in August and the tax records still exist.

Anyone is welcome to fact check my statements. I could be wrong.

I think you're confusing scripture and Christmas pageantry.
I'm not actually. That's the entire point of this thread. Scripture doesn't say what we say it does.
There are plenty of details on Christ's birth in these short readings.
Luke 2:4-7 The Birth of Jesus
Luke 2:8-20 The Shepherds and the Angels
Matthew 2:1-16 The Visit of the Magi

No, it didn't all take place on the same night and no animals or drummer boys are mentioned in the Bible.
That's why they call it a pageant.

Forum List

Back