So how do you plan on cooking your Turkey this ThanksGiving ?

So how do you do your bird?

Never mind that! I'm just heading over for some of yours!

View attachment 421565

If you're close enough come on over!!!
I disowned my brother and the rest of my family is either dead or thousands of miles away.
So it's the Wife and I and a 16 lb fresh turkey.
The bain of every serious cook. Trying to find a never frozen turkey that weighs 12 lbs.
It's not possible!!!!
But thats okay,we smoke the whole thing and eat all we can over the four days the Wife is off and make turkey pot pies with the rest and boil the carcass to make turkey broth.

You could always raise your own to get the 'perfect' bird.........just sayin

Yeah.....pretty sure the neighborhood association would frown on raising turkeys in my backyard.
Hell,they only allow two dogs!!
Thankfully I don't have an association.......but I still got neighbors. I try to be respectful of them, yet still play at farmer.

Last year was my second attempt to raise a few birds for the table. Normally, they are fairly quiet compared to chickens and usually just soft chitterings.......until the next door neighbor had a few friends over and every time they laughed, the turkeys would gobble in return. I thought it was funny, but didn't want any issues so the birds went to the freezer soon after that. :biggrin:
A few years ago, I had a family of wild turkeys take up residence in the backyard and field/pine stand behind it. Every time I entered or left the house, I got gobbled at, pretty emphatically, too. Then from the pines I'd hear the females answering in their little soft chitterings. They didn't know who he was talking to, but they needed to let him know they were there, I guess. Fortunately, after about a week they moved on. I wasn't looking forward to a backyard covered in turkey poop.

So how long would it take to smoke a 15lb turkey??? Asking for future reference.....

Around 6 or 7 hours when you brine it. Of course that depends on the temp you're cooking at. Smoking the bird the temp should be around 275.
Again I separate the breast from the dark meat. I put the dark meat closer to the the heat source and the breasts to the back.
But as in all smoking situations....it's done when it's done. There really isnt a time you can call out.
You're better off starting early and if it's ready sooner than you expect put it in the cambro and it'll be fine for at least 2 or 3 hours.

Update: Wow this bird cooked fast!!!!
It was done in four hours!! Came out great though,the breast poured juice when I cut it.

Mine poured like that too. After seeing the pic, I checked it again to make sure it was done. The camera sees things differently but it checked good.

Moist.jpg

I'm going with the smoker.
While I love em deep fried it's a pain in the ass.
I plan on using oak for my main fuel with a little pecan to add some sweetness.
I haven't used the oven in ......well,never.
I generally separate the breast from the dark meat by cutting it under the breast by the ribs.
This leaves you with the breast as a single piece and the dark meat by itself. I never cook the whole bird since it's impossible to have the breast come out moist.
I also brined the bird for 24 hours with salt,brown sugar,peppercorns,bay leaves,apple cider,orange peels and garlic.
We're actually having meatloaf, for a change of pace. Meatloaf made with ground beef.

Sure .. I like meatloaf .. but meatloaf over turkey ... :eusa_snooty:

eh whatever, have a great Thanksgiving bluzman ..
Thank you. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, as well.:)

I'm planning on great with plenty of love and laughs.. :)
Lumpy's back!! :yes_text12:

I generally separate the breast from the dark meat by cutting it under the breast by the ribs.
This leaves you with the breast as a single piece and the dark meat by itself. I never cook the whole bird since it's impossible to have the breast come out moist.
I also brined the bird for 24 hours with salt,brown sugar,peppercorns,bay leaves,apple cider,orange peels and garlic.
We're actually having meatloaf, for a change of pace. Meatloaf made with ground beef.

Well Thank You Darlin .. I'm not back much though, the lack of courtesy and mutual respect around here kinda takes the fun out of it..

I miss You though.. dear friend... :11_2_1043:

Well Thank You Darlin .. I'm not back much though, the lack of courtesy and mutual respect around here kinda takes the fun out of it..

The good book says when good men rule, the people are happy, but when evil people rule, the people are not happy. All that lying and cramming lies down the people's throats, absconding with taxpayer money, and getting thousands of boxes with thousands of ballots for Biden, who couldn't draw much more than a hand full of voters the communists in the Democrat Party betrayed by masquerading as liberals, well, it hurt the people who seem on a collision with a new kind of slavery to the communist state Commaluh Harris has in mind for American children and yanking the good fortune of hardworking mom and pops through unconcionable high taxes so politicians and their minions can party and wear $15,000 suits on other people's money. And they were saying capitalism was bad, when actually it was one of the fairest systems that rewarded inventions, hard work, and in many cases, community service, philanthropic gifts to students, the down and out, and supporting widows and fatherless children or those of deadbeat dads.

They're planning on giving control, control, control to sociopaths like Cuomo who busies himself shutting businesses down and who run businesses that feed and make people happy at night when they are lonely.

In the same state, only 2 children under the age of 18 died of covid complications, while 525 children under the age of 18 committed suicide due to being separated from their friends and even cousins by Cuomo's hellish and antisocial laws "for their own good." Not!

The good book says when good men rule, the people are happy, but when evil people rule, the people are not happy. All that lying and cramming lies down the people's throats, absconding with taxpayer money, and getting thousands of boxes with thousands of ballots for Biden, who couldn't draw much more than a hand full of voters the communists in the Democrat Party betrayed by masquerading as liberals, well, it hurt the people who seem on a collision with a new kind of slavery to the communist state Commaluh Harris has in mind for American children and yanking the good fortune of hardworking mom and pops through unconcionable high taxes so politicians and their minions can party and wear $15,000 suits on other people's money. And they were saying capitalism was bad, when actually it was one of the fairest systems that rewarded inventions, hard work, and in many cases, community service, philanthropic gifts to students, the down and out, and supporting widows and fatherless children or those of deadbeat dads.

They're planning on giving control, control, control to sociopaths like Cuomo who busies himself shutting businesses down and who run businesses that feed and make people happy at night when they are lonely.

In the same state, only 2 children under the age of 18 died of covid complications, while 525 children under the age of 18 committed suicide due to being separated from their friends and even cousins by Cuomo's hellish and antisocial laws "for their own good." Not!

Democrats persist in degenerating America into a third world country or worse, continued sad times ahead I'm afraid and all for power and the inevitable death of billions worldwide. Sure I'll be done and buried my spirit set free but hell is coming tp America and soul denying Democrats are the why.

On a happier note I'm still smiling and appreciative of great friends such as yourself. ;)

Democrats persist in degenerating America into a third world country or worse, continued sad times ahead I'm afraid and all for power and the inevitable death of billions worldwide. Sure I'll be done and buried my spirit set free but hell is coming tp America and soul denying Democrats are the why.

On a happier note I'm still smiling and appreciative of great friends such as yourself. ;)
It's been hard here watching liberals I actually used to like instead of the hail of their porcupine quills when a conservative wins an election. I've had the sad experience of seeing these otherwise gifted abd bright people falling into the deadly path of extreme commies like Hillary, a person who knew Whitewater investors were by and large elderly who put their trust in investments like the former governor of Arkansas' first lady sold for the big bucks, while elderly were left holding the loss bag in Whitewater into the jaws of deceit that brings destitution into a person's life with their introduction to brass knuckle poverty Hillary's greed for money and power laid on their thresholds. She brought dozens of trusting seniors to a horrendous lack of assets while she gobbled up their life savings because she could. Afterward, she lied to the Grand Jury on the details of her crime with the words,"I forget." Not anyone in America believed that lawyerly escape from accountability, and she went all the way to the bank with her ill-gotten fortune.
Hillary had her middle finger pointed at her victims, and her followers cheered her sinful cheating on elderly widows' and widowers' life savings.

Last edited:

It's been hard here watching liberals I actually used to like instead of the hail of their porcupine quills when a conservative wins an election. I've had the sad experience of seeing these otherwise gifted abd bright people falling into the deadly path of extreme commies like Hillary, a person who knew Whitewater investors were by and large elderly who put their trust in investments like the former governor of Arkansas' first lady sold for the big bucks, while elderly were left holding the loss bag in Whitewater into the jaws of deceit that brings destitution into a person's life with their introduction to brass knuckle poverty Hillary's greed for money and power laid on their thresholds. She brought dozens of trusting seniors to a horrendous lack of assets while she gobbled up their life savings because she could. Afterward, she lied to the Grand Jury on the details of her crime with the words,"I forget." Not anyone in America believed that lawyerly escape from accountability, and she we ent all the way to the bank with her ill-gotten fortune.
Hillary had her middle finger pointed at her victims, and her followers cheered her sinful cheating on elderly widows' and widowers' life savings.
Our once loyal rivals are now joining Hillary to destroy the system she abused to get her claws into more power, more power, and, yes, more power. She encouraged every Democrat in the liberal press to cheat President Trump. She well knew that pulling out a mainstay of freedom--the truth was her key to gaining power by scorching the earth using her suddenly wealthy press corps to do her evil of getting herself into power for the rest of her conniving life, fooling simple people with her hocus pocus misrepresentations and encouraging her failures in life to rule America then, rule the planet. Sorry, I learned everything I needed to know about Hillary Clinton after watching her lie to the Grand Jury on a tv clip. It was that precocious grin on her face about getting away with destroying elderly folks back when as she lisped the "I forget" lie.

there was talk of pardoning the turkey...

but we ended up roasting it.

we pardoned the green bean cassarole, instead

Forum List

Back