So how do you plan on cooking your Turkey this ThanksGiving ?

I'm going with the smoker.
While I love em deep fried it's a pain in the ass.
I plan on using oak for my main fuel with a little pecan to add some sweetness.
I haven't used the oven in ......well,never.
I generally separate the breast from the dark meat by cutting it under the breast by the ribs.
This leaves you with the breast as a single piece and the dark meat by itself. I never cook the whole bird since it's impossible to have the breast come out moist.
I also brined the bird for 24 hours with salt,brown sugar,peppercorns,bay leaves,apple cider,orange peels and garlic.
So how do you do your bird?
We're actually having meatloaf, for a change of pace. Meatloaf made with ground beef.

To each his own.
We're doing a bird for Thanksgiving and plan on doing a Prime Rib for Christmas.
But I hear ya...I get tired of the traditional shit myself.

I generally separate the breast from the dark meat by cutting it under the breast by the ribs.
This leaves you with the breast as a single piece and the dark meat by itself. I never cook the whole bird since it's impossible to have the breast come out moist.
I also brined the bird for 24 hours with salt,brown sugar,peppercorns,bay leaves,apple cider,orange peels and garlic.
We're actually having meatloaf, for a change of pace. Meatloaf made with ground beef.

Sure .. I like meatloaf .. but meatloaf over turkey ... :eusa_snooty:

eh whatever, have a great Thanksgiving bluzman ..

Already done.

Used an old family recipe.

Secret recipe stuffing - all possible escape routes stitched up.

Secret method, revealed here for the first time outside the family:

Soak the turkey in a strong brine solution overnight. In the morning rinse very thoroughly and pat dry. Outside and in.

Requires one NEW white linen dish towel. Not the fuzzy Turkish sort.
Washed and thoroughly rinsed and dried.

Melt 1/2 pound of butter.

Put the turkey in a throw-away pan. Beware using a rack. If you're going to use a heavy metal pan that's a good thing but in a throw-away you risk the legs puncturing the pan. You really don't want that to happen.

Pour a light coating of melted butter on the turkey. Sprinkle with a little black pepper and poultry seasoning to taste.

Drape the white towel over the turney and soak it with melted butter.

Roast at 325-degress (F); basting with melted butter at 1-hour intervals. Cooking time will be somewwhat long - maybe 5-6 hours depending on the weight. Youl should use a meat thermoteter and see 165 degrees (F) at the thickest part of the thigh.

When done remove the towel. If you carve with the towel in place people will bitch about thread sticking in their teeth.

The towel should be a little charred (that's why 325 instead of the usual 350 degrees). It will lift off like taking off a helmet. Throw it out. The towel; not the turkey, progressives.

Allow to cool 30-minutes before carving.

Oh, you probably will have to suck off the drippings at the hourly intervals after the first hour lest the pan overflow. I'd suggest using a turkey baster rather than the traditional liberal method. Les chance of burns and spreading The Virus.

Thank you. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, as well.:)

I'm planning on great with plenty of love and laughs.. :)

I'm planning on great with plenty of love and laughs.. :)
:) :) :)

I already did mine the old fashioned way........stuffed the butt, smeared butter all over and under the skin on the breast, some garlic powder, poultry seasoning and seasoned salt........covered with foil ..... lots of bits of meat, fat & skin

You sure those aren't your notes on the date you had with Sealybobo Saturday night?

Brining mine with Rachel Ray's chicken stock, poultry seasoning, butter and worchestershire sauce overnight in a vacuum sealed oven bag.

Pre-Heated (breast down) for 1.5 hours at 350 degrees by placing the bag in a little water (electric roaster)

Going to let it rest until about 11:00 am and then remove it from the bag and finish it in the roaster with the stuffing in.

When done remove the towel. ....

Oh, you probably will have to suck off the drippings at the hourly intervals.... Les chance of burns and spreading The Virus.

More notes on Sealybobo's Saturday night.

Our bird has been in brine since yesterday afternoon, and will go in the oven later this morning.

I have fried and smoked turkeys, and they are delicious. But oven roasted with a pan of dressing is one of my favorite meals.

I already did mine the old fashioned way........stuffed the butt, smeared butter all over and under the skin on the breast, some garlic powder, poultry seasoning and seasoned salt........covered with foil ..... lots of bits of meat, fat & skin

You sure those aren't your notes on the date you had with Sealybobo Saturday night?

Since we're not in the same circles............there's no chance it was a date so it was Sealybooooboooo that I fed to the dogs. Hmpf

Keep it up and you'll be their dessert

Last edited:
Brining mine with Rachel Ray's chicken stock, poultry seasoning, butter and worchestershire sauce overnight in a vacuum sealed oven bag.

Pre-Heated (breast down) for 1.5 hours at 350 degrees by placing the bag in a little water (electric roaster)

Going to let it rest until about 11:00 am and then remove it from the bag and finish it in the roaster with the stuffing in.

Update/ reply to my own post.

My Turkey turned out great. Very Juicy and already enjoying the leftovers.

So how long would it take to smoke a 15lb turkey??? Asking for future reference.....

Around 6 or 7 hours when you brine it. Of course that depends on the temp you're cooking at. Smoking the bird the temp should be around 275.
Again I separate the breast from the dark meat. I put the dark meat closer to the the heat source and the breasts to the back.
But as in all smoking situations....it's done when it's done. There really isnt a time you can call out.
You're better off starting early and if it's ready sooner than you expect put it in the cambro and it'll be fine for at least 2 or 3 hours.

Update: Wow this bird cooked fast!!!!
It was done in four hours!! Came out great though,the breast poured juice when I cut it.

Forum List

Back