So how do you plan on cooking your Turkey this ThanksGiving ?

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
I'm going with the smoker.
While I love em deep fried it's a pain in the ass.
I plan on using oak for my main fuel with a little pecan to add some sweetness.
I haven't used the oven in ......well,never.
I generally separate the breast from the dark meat by cutting it under the breast by the ribs.
This leaves you with the breast as a single piece and the dark meat by itself. I never cook the whole bird since it's impossible to have the breast come out moist.
I also brined the bird for 24 hours with salt,brown sugar,peppercorns,bay leaves,apple cider,orange peels and garlic.
So how do you do your bird?

Never mind that! I'm just heading over for some of yours!

missing-tooth-smiley-emoticon.gif

I generally separate the breast from the dark meat by cutting it under the breast by the ribs.
This leaves you with the breast as a single piece and the dark meat by itself. I never cook the whole bird since it's impossible to have the breast come out moist.
I also brined the bird for 24 hours with salt,brown sugar,peppercorns,bay leaves,apple cider,orange peels and garlic.

I don't cook turkey, but two of my brothers do it. One does the deep fry in his backyard, the other does the traditional oven.

I prefer to eat the oven roasted turkey, but to each their own.

View attachment 421565

If you're close enough come on over!!!
I disowned my brother and the rest of my family is either dead or thousands of miles away.
So it's the Wife and I and a 16 lb fresh turkey.
The bain of every serious cook. Trying to find a never frozen turkey that weighs 12 lbs.
It's not possible!!!!
But thats okay,we smoke the whole thing and eat all we can over the four days the Wife is off and make turkey pot pies with the rest and boil the carcass to make turkey broth.

I already did mine the old fashioned way........stuffed the butt, smeared butter all over and under the skin on the breast, some garlic powder, poultry seasoning and seasoned salt........covered with foil and into the oven @275 for a couple of hours, then take off the foil & turn up the heat to 350 for about another hour or so.

When I tried to get it out of the pan with a meat fork under the ribcage and lifted it up......the whole breast section came off from the back & legs. Which is ok since I took the meat off the bone anyway.

Bones will be used for making broth for soup with the leftovers. Dogs love it when I do that cause they get lots of bits of meat, fat & skin

View attachment 421565

I disowned my brother and the rest of my family is either dead or thousands of miles away.
The bain of every serious cook. Trying to find a never frozen turkey that weighs 12 lbs.
It's not possible!!!!
But thats okay,we smoke the whole thing and eat all we can over the four days the Wife is off and make turkey pot pies with the rest and boil the carcass to make turkey broth.

You could always raise your own to get the 'perfect' bird.........just sayin

I already did mine the old fashioned way........stuffed the butt, smeared butter all over and under the skin on the breast, some garlic powder, poultry seasoning and seasoned salt........covered with foil and into the oven @275 for a couple of hours, then take off the foil & turn up the heat to 350 for about another hour or so.

When I tried to get it out of the pan with a meat fork under the ribcage and lifted it up......the whole breast section came off from the back & legs. Which is ok since I took the meat off the bone anyway.

Bones will be used for making broth for soup with the leftovers. Dogs love it when I do that cause they get lots of bits of meat, fat & skin

Wait....you already cooked your bird?

View attachment 421565

It's not possible!!!!

Yeah.....pretty sure the neighborhood association would frown on raising turkeys in my backyard.
Hell,they only allow two dogs!!

My son-in-law is going with his first smoked turkey and I'm going "without" my first oven roasted home cooked turkey dinner since .. umm .. I can't remember when..

I'm hoping he's using your plan and I end up happy .... ;)

My son-in-law is going with his first smoked turkey and I'm going "without" my first oven roasted home cooked turkey dinner since .. umm .. I can't remember when..

As long as he brines it it'll come out great!
When smoking a turkey or cooking it in the oven it takes a few hours longer when brined because all the moisture is retained making for a far moisture bird.

Yes, I cooked it today.....to take to my oldest sons house tomorrow. He's doing another turkey as well....probably deep fried

View attachment 421565

It's not possible!!!!

Yeah.....pretty sure the neighborhood association would frown on raising turkeys in my backyard.
Hell,they only allow two dogs!!
Thankfully I don't have an association.......but I still got neighbors. I try to be respectful of them, yet still play at farmer.

Last year was my second attempt to raise a few birds for the table. Normally, they are fairly quiet compared to chickens and usually just soft chitterings.......until the next door neighbor had a few friends over and every time they laughed, the turkeys would gobble in return. I thought it was funny, but didn't want any issues so the birds went to the freezer soon after that. :biggrin:

Yes, I cooked it today.....to take to my oldest sons house tomorrow. He's doing another turkey as well....probably deep fried

As long as you keep it wrapped well after cooking it should be fine.
Ideally you should keep it in a cambro or an ice chest.
Just dont put it in when it's too hot or it will continue to cook.

Sometimes it's good to have a plan B.......just in case.

It says Microwave high for 1 minute.*L*

Don't feel sorry for me I was invited to a yearly gathering, but my friends being careless concerns me enough to stay away. I'm ok sacrificing just another holiday, it's no big deal, If I wanted I could do up my own meal.
4nueii.jpg

So how long would it take to smoke a 15lb turkey??? Asking for future reference.....

Around 6 or 7 hours when you brine it. Of course that depends on the temp you're cooking at. Smoking the bird the temp should be around 275.
Again I separate the breast from the dark meat. I put the dark meat closer to the the heat source and the breasts to the back.
But as in all smoking situations....it's done when it's done. There really isnt a time you can call out.
You're better off starting early and if it's ready sooner than you expect put it in the cambro and it'll be fine for at least 2 or 3 hours.

As long as he brines it it'll come out great!
When smoking a turkey or cooking it in the oven it takes a few hours longer when brined because all the moisture is retained making for a far moisture bird.

I'm pretty sure I heard brining was involved and he is a great cook along with my daughter so I'm suspecting the best .. although and luckily, we have back-up turkeys in the freezer for a later date.. :)

We're actually having meatloaf, for a change of pace. Meatloaf made with ground beef.

New Topics

Forum List

Back