So excited...finally getting my BS

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Though by rights I should already have a BS, since I'm such an expert...

Anyway, I didn't finish college (made a good dent in it, 2+ years). I'm worried about my job with the state going away and as I've mentioned, thought...what is a growth industry?

The IRS and child welfare fields are both growth industries now.
Child Welfare workers start out at $1000 more a month than I'm making now.

But you need a bachelor's for both of those.

At my age (and location) I'm not up for picking up and moving to a university town, nor do I want to. I want to keep this job as long as I can, I love it here.

All I need to qualify as a child welfare worker is a bachelor's, likewise as an IRS agent. I have work history and experience that will make up the diff between a degree from a regular college and an online one, and the one I'm using is accredited.

So far out, I start on April 27.

You think I'm crazy now, wait till you see what I'm like when finals roll around.

Though by rights I should already have a BS, since I'm such an expert...

Anyway, I didn't finish college (made a good dent in it, 2+ years). I'm worried about my job with the state going away and as I've mentioned, thought...what is a growth industry?

The IRS and child welfare fields are both growth industries now.
Child Welfare workers start out at $1000 more a month than I'm making now.

But you need a bachelor's for both of those.

At my age (and location) I'm not up for picking up and moving to a university town, nor do I want to. I want to keep this job as long as I can, I love it here.

All I need to qualify as a child welfare worker is a bachelor's, likewise as an IRS agent. I have work history and experience that will make up the diff between a degree from a regular college and an online one, and the one I'm using is accredited.

So far out, I start on April 27.

You think I'm crazy now, wait till you see what I'm like when finals roll around.

:eek:

j/k
that's great that you're going back to school.

good luck

"So excited...finally getting my BS."

One should always get one's own bullshit, even if no one else does.

Congrats

I thought you needed your masters to work in that field? I know here in Washington, they usually won't hire you if you don't have one.

• Banned
No, just a bachelor's.
I'll have to check washington now!

• Banned
"Qualifications
Only 28 percent of child welfare staff hold either bachelor’s degrees in social work (BSW) (15 percent) or master’s degrees in social work (MSW) (13 percent). (Lieberman, 1988)
Fewer than 15 percent of child welfare agencies require caseworkers to hold either BSWs or MSWs. (CWLA, 1999)
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW), CWLA, and others recommend that child welfare administrators and supervisors have MSWs and previous child welfare experience, and that direct service workers have, at least, BSWs.
Education, specifically holding an MSW, appears to be the best predictor of overall performance in social service work. (Booz-Allen & Hamilton, Inc., 1987)
Child welfare staff with BSW and MSW degrees were found to be more effective in developing successful permanency plans for children who were in foster care for more than two years. (Albers, 1993)."
Child Welfare Workforce

I don't think the state requires a master's for a child welfare worker in Washington.
You may have to have one for a supervisory position, such as program manager.

I thought about it, and I think it is just if you are doing social work, like elder services. But I heard this from my sister in law who works for elder services, she could be wrong.
You should think about getting your master, though. I know you get paid better, usually.

AHA!
You don't have to have a master's.
Having a master's will fast track you to employment, of course. But it isn't required to be a child welfare worker:

"Qualifications
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES FOR SOCIAL WORKER 3:
A Bachelor's degree or higher in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field, and one year as a
Social Worker 2 since July 1, 1988;
OR
A Master's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field and two years of paid social
service experience equivalent to a Social Worker 2;
OR
Requisition Title: 300 351Q SW2/3 blend CPS 20957
A Bachelor's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field, and three years of paid
social service experience performing functions equivalent to a Social Worker 2;
One year of paid social service experience must include assessing risk and safety to children and providing direct
family-centered practice services (strengthening and preserving family units).
NOTE: A two year Master's degree in one of the above fields that included a practicum will be substituted for one year of
paid social service experience.
NOTE: Equivalent social service experience would include the previous classes of Caseworker 3 or higher."

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/jobs/20957.pdf

This is fun. Yesterday I was fantasizing about building my own mansion.
Today I get to fantasize about going to work in a far off land...
not necessarily Washington...

I think she had to have her masters, because she had no experience. ;)

And don't move to Spokane if you move here. ;)
Actually you would like it, right up your alley.

Congrats and good luck!

I hope this works out how!

When it comes to BS, Zona is really qualified

Congratulations on school though. You going to Corvallis or Eugene, or are you doing it on line?

I think she had to have her masters, because she had no experience. ;)

And don't move to Spokane if you move here. ;)
Actually you would like it, right up your alley.

If you have a bachelor's in human services you're in.
Otherwise, it's a combination of your bachelor's and experience.

BTW, my current position in Scotland makes about twice as much!
Honest, I ought to move there!
Are costs higher?

I got my BS back in 1984. I'm retired now and don't need it. You can have mine if you wish. All you need to do is use some white out on the name and print your own name in that spot. My two happiest days of college were the day I started and the day I finished. Everything else was just a blur.

I was already planning on doing that, Count.

I'm no misty-eyed individual about school, either. Which is why I don't give a shit about doing it online. I just need the paper, thanks. I'm not going to teach at Harvard. I want to work in rural areas in 9-5 jobs with weekends and holidays off. My needs are few, my ambition non-existent. I just want to be able to provide for my kids and have time for my kids. That means not killing myself at a university far away from our home.

And the one thing a person has in a tiny place like this is TIME. There are no distractions.

New Topics

Forum List

Back