So...does this mean democracy will kick in in Libya?

Liberty

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2009
colorado
Family Guy - Democracy Kicks In - YouTube

alright, with all jokes aside...seriously I don't see how the developments today are a good thing. The Muslim Brotherhood will take over, more anti-west sentiment (even though the west helped in their revolution) and more BS for Israel to deal with most likely.

opinions?

Lol, a democracy with several different bloodthirsty factions running around killing each other. Democracy couldn't be farther away. Same as Egypt which is now descending deeper into chaos.

There's no way to really tell what the future will be. It could descend into chaos and more violence with in-fighting. I think there is some potential for hope that some semblance to democracy may emerge (like it did in some former Soviet states). Guys like Mustafa al-Jalil were in the Libyan government under Qaddafi before defecting. These guys can keep a functioning government running, but lack the charisma of Qaddafi to create a dictatorship.

Or the state can collapse into fighting. The worst case scenario is Somali, second worst Afghanistan. I don't see an Iran scenario as being likely as I don't think Libya as unified or organized as Iran was among other reasons.

So...does this mean democracy will kick in in Libya?

Who knows? It can't be worse than that awful constitution Republicans left in Iraq:

Article 2:

First: Islam is the official religion of the State and it is a fundamental source of legislation:

A. No law that contradicts the established provisions of Islam may be established.

If a similar government is what's established in Libya, just the fact no Americans died, and the cost was trillions LESS puts Obama way, way ahead of ridiculous Republicans.

So, you really can't see how a population ridding themselves of a jackboot thug (who sponsored terrorists, pilfered his nation's treasures and violently murdered his own people) is a good thing?

Really?

o-donuts-zzz.jpg

So, you really can't see how a population ridding themselves of a jackboot thug (who sponsored terrorists, pilfered his nation's treasures and violently murdered his own people) is a good thing?

Really?

Shouldn't he have due process such as Hussein, Mubarrak, Nuremburg trials etc? I detest every one of these heinous figures but if we throw out the rule of law we have nothing. Celebrating death makes us look like the bloodthirsty heathens over in Libya and every other third world dump.

Shouldn't he have due process such as Hussein, Mubarrak, Nuremburg trials etc? I detest every one of these heinous figures but if we throw out the rule of law we have nothing. Celebrating death makes us look like the bloodthirsty heathens over in Libya and every other third world dump.

I think so. But we didn't really get control over it. He got the Mussolini treatment.

Really?

Of course he should! But we didn't capture him.

Libyans took care of Gaddafi themselves. We had no say in what happened to him. Once again, as with Bin Laden, we see the 'Conservatives' crying over the death of a murderer that planned the deaths of Americans. How low can these people go?

Family Guy - Democracy Kicks In - YouTube

alright, with all jokes aside...seriously I don't see how the developments today are a good thing. The Muslim Brotherhood will take over, more anti-west sentiment (even though the west helped in their revolution) and more BS for Israel to deal with most likely.

opinions?

We don't know what will happen. That is why, Despite being happy we got that Fuck, I think we might be getting all excited to early. We don't yet know what we have done, or who we have just helped Rise to Power. It's Basically a roll of the dice as far as who is going end up running the place.

Basically it's Typical Shortsighted Policy. IMO. I sure hope Obama has a plan to help assure Libya does not end up the Next Islamic Theocracy bent on the Destruction of Israel and exporting Terrorism to our shores.

But hey, what can you say, Now that Obama has Pulled us almost completely out of Iraq, you never know. They same could happen there. Or for that matter Libya could be a shining example of how Democracy can work in the Middle east. I just don't think it is all that likely. The Most Organized Forces in Libya are all the More Radicalized Islamic Elements.

Libyans took care of Gaddafi themselves. We had no say in what happened to him. Once again, as with Bin Laden, we see the 'Conservatives' crying over the death of a murderer that planned the deaths of Americans. How low can these people go?

Um dude please. French planes and US drones attacked his Convoy and pinned him down so the Rebels could capture him. To try and say we had no say in what happened to him is BS. If we wanted to put him on trail, and thought the Rebels would kill him, we could have not helped them catch him, and tired to get him ourselves and turn him over to the ICC.

We had a say, Believe me.

Really?
Did you feel the same way about Saddam?

Forum List

Back