So, Do Democrats REALLY Oppose HydroxyChloroquine Only Because Trump Supports Using It? Seems So.....

Can Hydroxychloroquine save lives?

• No, it is snake oil

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes, and the goobermint should not intrude on doctor patient choices

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I dunno, whose playing tonight?

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
I keep seeing people on this site talking about how well hydroxycholorquine is working. Where is this information coming from? I can't seem to find much about it outside of the 2 small studies that were what got it noticed as a possible treatment in the first place.

I have seen a few people saying that it helped them, but nothing about the sort of widespread positive outcomes that posters here appear to be claiming. Does anyone have any sort of articles or research they could post showing that this is working, other than the original French and Chinese studies that kicked this all off?

It would be great if this turns out to be an effective treatment, I just haven't seen anything one way or another to indicate that it is being effective in widespread fashion.
Montrovant, several days ago I read an article on the patients now using hydroxycholorquine, and I got the distinct impression the stuff is like N-Saids are to a headache: HOClQ just works, and people literally walk away well. I've heard nothing to the contrary, except that people waiting too late to take it are taking a quite lethal chance, particularly if they're very old or very immune system-compromised. I don't remember the stats if any, it's just a good way to walk away from the virus well in a few short days. Of course, people are required to stay away from others a good two or three weeks after they are declared "well." IOW, they want to get back to work instead of being 6 ft. under.

Everyone in the medical profession I have talked to said the exact opposite, that hydroxychloroquine is of little practical use.
If you do not have COVID-19 or have a very early case, then by hydroxychloroquine suppressing the immune system, it makes the COVID-19 infection far worse than it would have been without the hydroxychloroquine.
Only if you have an extremely severe case of COVID-19 is it possible that hydroxychloroquine might help a little.
It does 3 things. By suppressing the immune system, it brings down fevers that could be fatal all by themselves. By making cell membranes more permeable, they allow antibiotics to be more effective if the person has come down with bronchial pneumonia, bacterial infection. By making the cell more alkaline, the COVID-19 reproduction is reduced slightly.
If you give hydroxychloroquine to the patient too early, you are making it much more likely they will die.
My sources differ greatly from your unknown ones.
Thousands of Doctors: Yes, Hydroxychloroquine Works Against Wuhan Coronavirus

An international poll of thousands of doctors rated the Trump-touted anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine the best treatment for the novel coronavirus.

Of the 6,227 physicians surveyed in 30 countries, 37 percent rated hydroxychloroquine the “most effective therapy” for combating the potentially deadly illness, according to the results released Thursday.

The survey, conducted by the global health care polling company Sermo, also found that 23 percent of medical professionals had prescribed the drug in the US — far less than other countries.

"Outside the US, hydroxychloroquine was equally used for diagnosed patients with mild to severe symptoms whereas in the US it was most commonly used for high risk diagnosed patients,” the survey found.

The medicine was most widely used in Spain, where 72 percent of physicians said they had prescribed it.

This is an international study viewpoint. So do we go with the thousands of doctors who support the use of hydroxychloroquine or do we trust the Democrat Party's unique group after they lied about Trump for 3+ years, impeached him when he was found innocent of their projecting charges in which their leaders actually went after Trump by soliciting Russia for bad stuff on him, which turned out to be a little Faerie Tale written by none other than Hillary Rodham Clinton's former War Room buddies bought and paid for by Mrs. Clinton.

I hope those of you who read this make the right decision on avoiding death if you should succumb to COVID-19. You have both sides stated, and it's too bad there is jealousy and hatred in politics in an election year. We should be on each others' side at this time. :huddle:

My prayers are up for Aemricans. :hands:

Actually, based on the NY Post article that townhall apparently got it's information from, only 2171 doctors were asked which drug was the most effective, and 37%, or 803, said hydroxycholorquine. For comparison, 32% said none.

At this point, it seems like hydroxychloroquine may help some COVID-19 sufferers. It is not safe for everyone; from things I've read, some of the high-risk sufferers may have to take medications already which would react badly with hydroxychloroquine. In those who can safely take the drug combination, however, I don't see a problem giving it to them...so long as it isn't used so much that people with other conditions, who already take the drug, can't get it.

There seems to be a lot of partisan bickering about this drug. Trump supporters on this site appear likely to consider it some sort of miracle treatment, even a cure, and claim it is both being used widely and being successful widely, but rarely provide any evidence of that (thank you for the links, beautress).

Those who don't like Trump on this site appear likely to consider it useless, or oppose giving it even to those in severe distress.

Obviously those are the extremes. It ought not to be a political issue, but on USMB, everything is. :p

I keep seeing people on this site talking about how well hydroxycholorquine is working. Where is this information coming from? I can't seem to find much about it outside of the 2 small studies that were what got it noticed as a possible treatment in the first place.

I have seen a few people saying that it helped them, but nothing about the sort of widespread positive outcomes that posters here appear to be claiming. Does anyone have any sort of articles or research they could post showing that this is working, other than the original French and Chinese studies that kicked this all off?

It would be great if this turns out to be an effective treatment, I just haven't seen anything one way or another to indicate that it is being effective in widespread fashion.
Montrovant, several days ago I read an article on the patients now using hydroxycholorquine, and I got the distinct impression the stuff is like N-Saids are to a headache: HOClQ just works, and people literally walk away well. I've heard nothing to the contrary, except that people waiting too late to take it are taking a quite lethal chance, particularly if they're very old or very immune system-compromised. I don't remember the stats if any, it's just a good way to walk away from the virus well in a few short days. Of course, people are required to stay away from others a good two or three weeks after they are declared "well." IOW, they want to get back to work instead of being 6 ft. under.

Everyone in the medical profession I have talked to said the exact opposite, that hydroxychloroquine is of little practical use.
If you do not have COVID-19 or have a very early case, then by hydroxychloroquine suppressing the immune system, it makes the COVID-19 infection far worse than it would have been without the hydroxychloroquine.
Only if you have an extremely severe case of COVID-19 is it possible that hydroxychloroquine might help a little.
It does 3 things. By suppressing the immune system, it brings down fevers that could be fatal all by themselves. By making cell membranes more permeable, they allow antibiotics to be more effective if the person has come down with bronchial pneumonia, bacterial infection. By making the cell more alkaline, the COVID-19 reproduction is reduced slightly.
If you give hydroxychloroquine to the patient too early, you are making it much more likely they will die.

An international poll of thousands of doctors rated the Trump-touted anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine the best treatment for the novel coronavirus.

Of the 6,227 physicians surveyed in 30 countries, 37 percent rated hydroxychloroquine the “most effective therapy” for combating the potentially deadly illness, according to the results released Thursday.

The survey, conducted by the global health care polling company Sermo, also found that 23 percent of medical professionals had prescribed the drug in the US — far less than other countries.

"Outside the US, hydroxychloroquine was equally used for diagnosed patients with mild to severe symptoms whereas in the US it was most commonly used for high risk diagnosed patients,” the survey found.

The medicine was most widely used in Spain, where 72 percent of physicians said they had prescribed it.

This is an international study viewpoint.

You have not quoted or linked anyone at all with those claims, because they clearly are not true.
Everything I have read says it is harmful to give Hydroxychloroquine too early, and when it is administered, it is only useful if antibiotics were administered at the same time.

{...
On March 28 the Food and Drug Administration approved the use of two antimalarial drugs, hydroxychloroquine and a related medication, chloroquine, for emergency use to treat COVID-19. The drugs were touted by President Trump as a “game changer” for COVID-19.

However, a study just published in a French medical journal provides new evidence that hydroxychloroquine does not appear to help the immune system clear the coronavirus from the body. The study comes on the heels of two others – one in France and one in China – that reported some benefits in the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for COVID-19 patients who didn’t have severe symptoms of the virus.
...}

It is the azithromycin that helps with the pneumonia side effect, and hydroxychloroquine only slightly help the antibiotic enter the cells. Hydroxychloroquine by itself can reduce survival rates.
It's in my quote which you posted. I recommend a seriously-effective course in reading comprehension/ speed reading for your benefit, dear. I can't believe you not only missed my link and the quotes therefrom, you posted them and said I didn't give a link. Your discrepancy is borne from your huge TDS case, and I can understand how you missed it and why. Deception doesn't work with me, madam or sir.

I think I did mix up my responses, because you clearly did provide a link, but it was to townhall.com, a Heritage Foundation organ that is known for not telling the truth.
And I probably posted my response to you, to someone else, because I know I did post a response saying that townhall.com is not a valid source.

The reality is that some studies have shown some ways that hydroxychloroquine can be effective, but none of them claims hydroxychloroquine fights COVID-19.
What they say instead is that in later stages of COVID-19 infection, the actual cause of death is from an over activated immune system response. So then hydroxychloroquine can suppress the immune system and help keep the person alive, but that does nothing to stop COVID-19.
You do not know what you are talking about. Quit spreading disinformation.

Sure HCQ has an immunomodulatory effect, however it ALSO inhibits the coronavirus from entering the endosome of your type 2 pneumocytes and infecting them in the first place. That is how HCQ' inhibits the replication of the virus.

The earlier you take it, the better off you are.

This is an international study viewpoint. So do we go with the thousands of doctors who support the use of hydroxychloroquine or do we trust the Democrat Party's unique group after they lied about Trump for 3+ years, impeached him when he was found innocent of their projecting charges in which their leaders actually went after Trump by soliciting Russia for bad stuff on him, which turned out to be a little Faerie Tale written by none other than Hillary Rodham Clinton's former War Room buddies bought and paid for by Mrs. Clinton.

I hope those of you who read this make the right decision on avoiding death if you should succumb to COVID-19. You have both sides stated, and it's too bad there is jealousy and hatred in politics in an election year. We should be on each others' side at this time. :huddle:

Actually, based on the NY Post article that townhall apparently got it's information from, only 2171 doctors were asked which drug was the most effective, and 37%, or 803, said hydroxycholorquine. For comparison, 32% said none.

At this point, it seems like hydroxychloroquine may help some COVID-19 sufferers. It is not safe for everyone; from things I've read, some of the high-risk sufferers may have to take medications already which would react badly with hydroxychloroquine. In those who can safely take the drug combination, however, I don't see a problem giving it to them...so long as it isn't used so much that people with other conditions, who already take the drug, can't get it.

There seems to be a lot of partisan bickering about this drug. Trump supporters on this site appear likely to consider it some sort of miracle treatment, even a cure, and claim it is both being used widely and being successful widely, but rarely provide any evidence of that (thank you for the links, beautress).

Those who don't like Trump on this site appear likely to consider it useless, or oppose giving it even to those in severe distress.

Obviously those are the extremes. It ought not to be a political issue, but on USMB, everything is. :p

Michigan Democratic state Rep. Karen Whitsett credited hydroxychloroquine and President Trump for her speedy recovery from COVID-19, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug, has been touted by the Trump administration as a potential key to treating the disease.

When you read this--a Black Dem from Detroit--picture Leftists and liberals melting like the witch in Wizard of Oz. Melting, melting, melting

All their Katrina dreams, gone.

Liberals and Leftists suddenly acting like the fact that 1. A drug can have side effect or can 2. interact with other medications or 3. might need a physician to over see these factors is NEW AND DEEP INSIGHT

Hey, brain trusts. Go read the side of a Tylenol bottle. Or any cold medicine, or ibuprofen, or ANY MEDICINE, and stop telling us the grass is green and the sky is blue and acting like you have advanced degrees in pharmacology.

Yeah, I read that one somewhere else here. Hopefully they get some definitive data showing it's helping, and the best ways to administer it.

This is just unbelievable, but Democrats are slamming on the use of Hydroxychloroquine merely because Trump recommends it, and of course ORANGE MAN BAD!

So The goobernor of Mitchagain and New Yahk restrict the patient doctor relationship to only using it in a hospital setting?

OMG!

Will this wake black voters up about the Dimocrat Death Party (of Abortion) and its very evil core nature?

Of course not.

This drug has not gone through any of the established testing and vetting protocols of any new drug. The trump administration has a record of ignoring established procedures, rules, and protocols regarding just about every issue. It's willy-nilly government based on anything this lunatic feels like doing, experts be damned. This scofflaw attitude cannot be allowed to dominate government, particularly during a national crisis. We are not supposed to live and die according to this vermin's gut instinct. I've never seen a farce such as this one.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Democrats were first to reccoment using hydroxychloroquine, that would be the #1 thing in their parties platform, surpassing the green deal, medicare for all, reparations, free college, debt forgiveness, outlawing guns and free speech, opening our borders, sanctuary cities, vilifying cops, putting illegal aliens first and taking Communist China's side against our country in all things.

You have not accurately characterized the POV of those who are expressing caution regarding this drug. The issue is not whether we like or dislike Trump.

Nobody is saying that it definitely doesn’t have some benefit. Nobody is suggesting that the FDA and our medical community stop testing and trials. We are hoping that the trials prove positive.

But we ARE very concerned that the president is telling people to seek out this drug as a preventive measure. Yesterday he suggested that doctors and nurses should take it so they avoid getting sick.

So, we push back on his statements and we push back when members of his Trombie herd get on here and claim that this drug is effective when we don’t know that yet. I guarantee you that they will cite the use of this drug as having saved thousands, if not millions, of lives before this shit is over.

Thanks for reading. You may now resume your both sides narrative.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Democrats were first to reccoment using hydroxychloroquine, that would be the #1 thing in their parties platform, surpassing the green deal, medicare for all, reparations, free college, debt forgiveness, outlawing guns and free speech, opening our borders, sanctuary cities, vilifying cops, putting illegal aliens first and taking Communist China's side against our country in all things.
A Democratic President would not recommend using a drug that had not gone thru trials for the disease it is trying to treat....

We would not use supporter's ignorance, for political purpose as Trump has done....

We would rush trials to get them done ASAP, before making such an announcement, and the President would not be making that announcement..the Scientists or Doctor's would.

We do not oppose it. We believe it needs proper trials on its efficacy.
Who does it work best on? 40-50 year olds, 60-70 year olds?
C4A, the Europeans have already done all this. The German documentation on dosage is available and doctors are using that for guidance now.

There is absolutely no reason to restrict doctors from using this 'off label'.
The study in France showed no results they could quantify as good or bad.... candycorn posted it in this thread.... in fact the only person that died in the trial was not from the group who did not get the real drug, but from the group that DID get the Hydroxychlorozine.

If you have actually seen the test results of this so called trials in Europe that showed it worked, please provide them.... not some commemtary from some right wing site parroting what Doctor Trump is telling you.....

PLEASE DO NOT BE FOOLISH, and take this drug haphazardly.... do the research and trust your doctor's wisdom....ask a gazillion questions beforehand.

If what Rigby is saying is accurate, then this drug inhibits the immune system.... taking it too early will harm you, maybe even be the cause of your death, if taken too late, it could be useless, but taking it at the right time, under the right circumstances, COULD be beneficial.

For someone in critical condition, go for it. Couldn't hurt. Probably.

But it still needs to be researched more, for this virus, before it's prescribed to everyone.

The drug was approved for medical use in 1955. It's safe. I have friends that take it for arthritis. It's not available over the counter. If someone is very sick with corona then why not try it if your doctor will prescribe it? It's not a guaranteed 100% to help (Trump isn't saying it's a vaccine or cure), but there are people reporting that it helped them.

But, I agree with the premise of the thread. If Trump said breathing was essential for life Liberals would pass out from not breathing.

This is just unbelievable, but Democrats are slamming on the use of Hydroxychloroquine merely because Trump recommends it, and of course ORANGE MAN BAD!

So The goobernor of Mitchagain and New Yahk restrict the patient doctor relationship to only using it in a hospital setting?

OMG!

Will this wake black voters up about the Dimocrat Death Party (of Abortion) and its very evil core nature?

Of course not.

They are afraid it will work.

JO

They know the dosage for covid patients?
COVID19 is a minor varient of SARS, so yes, they do know, as they say, close enough for goobermint work.
Was Hydroxychlorozine used on SARS patients? I thought it was used for Malaria, Lupus, and Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Yes, it was tested and found effective, but not in lab rats, lol..

Hydroxychloroquine has been studied as a possible antiviral for approximately the past 40 years, says Richman. The mechanism of action is not entirely clear, but it is known to decrease the acidity in endosomes, which might prevent the endosome from releasing the virus into the cytoplasm.
Hydroxychloroquine has shown activity in vitro against many viruses, including influenza and coronaviruses, but that has largely failed to translate into success in either animals or humans. In 2005, the drug showed in vitro activity against SARS-CoV, which is closely related to the current pandemic virus, but it failed to decrease viral load in mice, and clinical interest drifted away, says Christopher Tignanelli, a surgeon at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, who is involved in clinical trials of COVID-19 treatments.
“There is not a huge amount of pre-clinical data for this drug,” says Tignanelli. “It's mostly test-tube and anecdote.”

I think this might be one of those inter-species thingies where something works on most species, but not mice and then gets shelved.

Lab rats do not equate to hum an beings, and, IMO, should not be used to measure efficacy but only safety.

If something kills rats, then dont promote it. But a lack of a positive result in mice does not mean it cant work in humans.

Over 14,000 Lupus and arthritic patients in the New York area have been taking Hydroxyxchloroquine for their ailments and NOT A SINGLE ONE has developed COVID19 symptoms.

Why?

We would rush trials to get them done ASAP, before making such an announcement, and the President would not be making that announcement..the Scientists or Doctor's would.
And months later, if not years later, after hundreds of thousands have died, you find out it works, but at least 1% of the people who would have e been given the drug over 10 years wouldnt have risked blindness, lol.

Forum List

Back