Small Town Rural America Has Been Screwed

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
I've been on a road trip that I've wanted to do for a very long time.

I drove east to Illinois then am driving southwest to the Pacific Ocean on what's left of Route 66.

That road, or what's left of it, goes through small town rural America.

I've gone through ghost town after ghost town. The towns that aren't abandoned are so deeply depressed it's painful and shameful to see.

Small town rural America has been totally screwed and abandoned by both our government and our citizens.

I understand now why so many republicans are so angry. I don't understand why they can't see why they have been screwed so badly and by whom.

Most of the states and all of the towns are controlled by republicans. People keep voting for them because of social issues like gay marriage and because they don't make much money and wrongly seem to believe that tax cuts are the answer to their financial problems.

Tax cuts have only totally screwed small town rural America. Their roads are so bad. I mean so bad that there were times the rough road and wind has my car literally bouncing down the road. When was the last time their roads were paved? The poverty is just terrible.

This is the result of keeping wages low, no regulation on business and trillions in tax cuts for the rich and big business.

Capitalism is making it worse because there's no money to be made in those areas so they are abandoned by business which results in more depressed economic conditions.

Raising wages will help these people a lot. Not just by increasing their own pay but by increased business from others being paid more. No little tax cut that is temporary will be a solution to such poverty. Higher wages will.

Better education will help a lot. So people don't have to take low wage jobs that require public assistance to be able to survive.

Small town rural America needs to stop electing politicians who don't give a damn about them and won't invest in the people and the areas they live in.

I was in one place that the water coming out of the faucet was a light brown and cloudy. I didn't wash my hands, I used hand sanitizer instead.

I have gone through countless towns that are totally abandoned. I've gone through farming areas that there aren't houses on the land. Just farming. People don't live in those areas anymore so the towns are turning into ghost towns.

The air in Oklahoma and Texas was so polluted it has caused a sinus infection. And people live in those areas. I can only imagine the health problems of the people in those areas but they don't have any hospital or medical facilities to go to. They have to travel hundreds of miles to get medical help.

Younger people who weren't alive before Reagan think this is normal.

It's not.

America wasn't like this before the conservatives convinced Americans that taxes, regulations, worker protections, a livable wage and investing in our nation was a horrible thing.

I totally understand now why so many in small town rural America voted for trump. He was the first republican who actually vocalized the problems the Republican Party was creating.

Only he either went about fixing the problem wrong or just didn't do anything. Which is what he mostly did. Nothing. In fact, things got worse for small town rural America.

I don't know what the solution is to help these people see that voting for republicans got them in this mess and won't get them out of it.

But I finally saw for myself the reasons why republicans voted for trump.

Capitalism is making it worse
What capitalism? You type all of this hogwash and dont even understand your own premise.
You bitter fool.

Yes, we don't operate a system of Capitalism in this country so it is hard to blame things on that. We can blame a lot on what we pretend to be Capitalism.

Don't cry for me. I love everything about my small RED town. It's clean, safe and the people work and look out for each other. I really don't mind that we don't have all night bodegas with all night drug dealers hanging out in front. I like not having drive by shooting shootings. I don't mind light traffic. And I especially like my garden, vineyard and about 50 golf courses that are within 30 miles. My biggest fear is that some Democrats will move here and bring their version of utopia to my paradise.

Capitalism is making it worse
What capitalism? You type all of this hogwash and dont even understand your own premise.
You bitter fool.

Capitalism prevents new business and development in rural areas.

There is no money there so business doesn't go there.

They don't have high speed internet because there's no money to be made so big business like Comcast doesn't build the infrastructure for high speed internet or even basic cable.

Big business like AT&T, Verizon, Costco and so many others aren't in rural areas because there's no money to be made there.

So the areas don't attract new people who spend money there so the areas get more depressed.

You don't understand what capitalism is.

I do.

In fact, my college education and degree is in accounting/finance. I had to take economic classes all through college.

You don't understand that capitalism needs both regulation and the free flow of capital throughout the whole economy to work properly.

Unregulated or not properly regulated capitalism only results in monopolies which destroys competition, innovation and economies.

Keep it up, keep believing the lies you're being fed.

The problem will only get worse.

When I was in the large cities in those states they had great roads. I didn't see satellite dishes on all of the houses. There were nice areas where I wasn't afraid to be in unlike the small rural towns.

All the money is going to the cities which has resulted in leaving the rural small towns broke, depressed and turning into ghost towns.

I drove east to Illinois then am driving southwest to the Pacific Ocean on what's left of Route 66.

I've gone through ghost town after ghost town. The towns that aren't abandoned are so deeply depressed it's painful and shameful to see.

Small town rural America has been totally screwed and abandoned by both our government and our citizens.

I understand now why so many republicans are so angry. I don't understand why they can't see why they have been screwed so badly and by whom.

Most of the states and all of the towns are controlled by republicans. People keep voting for them because of social issues like gay marriage and because they don't make much money and wrongly seem to believe that tax cuts are the answer to their financial problems.

Tax cuts have only totally screwed small town rural America. Their roads are so bad. I mean so bad that there were times the rough road and wind has my car literally bouncing down the road. When was the last time their roads were paved? The poverty is just terrible.

This is the result of keeping wages low, no regulation on business and trillions in tax cuts for the rich and big business.

Capitalism is making it worse because there's no money to be made in those areas so they are abandoned by business which results in more depressed economic conditions.

Raising wages will help these people a lot. Not just by increasing their own pay but by increased business from others being paid more. No little tax cut that is temporary will be a solution to such poverty. Higher wages will.

Better education will help a lot. So people don't have to take low wage jobs that require public assistance to be able to survive.

Small town rural America needs to stop electing politicians who don't give a damn about them and won't invest in the people and the areas they live in.

I was in one place that the water coming out of the faucet was a light brown and cloudy. I didn't wash my hands, I used hand sanitizer instead.

I have gone through countless towns that are totally abandoned. I've gone through farming areas that there aren't houses on the land. Just farming. People don't live in those areas anymore so the towns are turning into ghost towns.

The air in Oklahoma and Texas was so polluted it has caused a sinus infection. And people live in those areas. I can only imagine the health problems of the people in those areas but they don't have any hospital or medical facilities to go to. They have to travel hundreds of miles to get medical help.

It's not.

America wasn't like this before the conservatives convinced Americans that taxes, regulations, worker protections, a livable wage and investing in our nation was a horrible thing.

I totally understand now why so many in small town rural America voted for trump. He was the first republican who actually vocalized the problems the Republican Party was creating.

Only he either went about fixing the problem wrong or just didn't do anything. Which is what he mostly did. Nothing. In fact, things got worse for small town rural America.

I don't know what the solution is to help these people see that voting for republicans got them in this mess and won't get them out of it.

So you just drove through and you had time to find out the political leanings of every person in every town huh?

It's very simple, and Trump and the Republicans have it right. It just takes time for the policies we want to take affect.

High taxes and global warming policies have pushed rural America's jobs over seas. The only thing that will bring those jobs back is a competitive tax rate on corporations.

The Democrat's "spread the wealth" agenda is what you see on your trip. The only problem is America is not part of where they WANT to spread the wealth to.

This is the stripped down, acoustic version- the studio produced version is longer- watch and listen to the emotion

One solution for rural America would be to legalise hemp, so poor farmers can sell it to the decadent cities.
Also, for Biden to stop racially discriminating against white farmers and help ALL farmers and not just black farmers.
Crazy that you have to even suggest that.

It's not.

Illinois has been controlled by the Dim mafia for years and years. And Dims are the ones who abuse the small businesses with excessive taxes and paid for viruses. So back to your hole dimmer.

It's not.

90% BS. Small town America won't benefit from $15 minimum wage. It will be destroyed by it. IN addition, this did not happen because they voted for republicans because of gay marriage. It happened because of President William Jefferson Clinton's 300+ "great" trade deals that absolutely destroyed small manufacturing in America.

It's very simple, and Trump and the Republicans have it right. It just takes time for the policies we want to take affect.

High taxes and global warming policies have pushed rural America's jobs over seas. The only thing that will bring those jobs back is a competitive tax rate on corporations.

The Democrat's "spread the wealth" agenda is what you see on your trip. The only problem is America is not part of where they WANT to spread the wealth to.

Jobs have been leaving since the 70's. Long before any "global warming policies" and Reagan cut taxes and the jobs still left.

It's not.

So you just drove through and you had time to find out the political leanings of every person in every town huh?

That is such a stupid comment.

All I have to do is look at who they elect.

Guess what?

Democrats or moderates don't vote for republicans.

If the mayor, city counsel, the representation in their state congress and congress in DC are republican, the majority of the people in that area are republicans.

While the cities are in good shape compared to the rural areas, they are still sub par compared to the area I live in but the cities in the red states are much better off than the small towns in the rural areas.

You don't realize they are taking your tax dollars and spending it on the cities while leaving the rural areas to fall apart.

The state I live in doesn't have conditions like this. We don't have ghost towns. You can drive through rural areas of my state and find small towns that while aren't as well off as the cities, they aren't dying.

You people need to get out of your areas and experience what's happening in the cities and other states.

Yes, I haven't spent much time in red states anymore so I was very shocked to see what has happened to small town rural America in red states.

The change is very dramatic and I find it shameful. It shouldn't be happening.

You seem to be misinformed- and contradict yourself on a couple of levels-
First you want central planning (that ain't capitalism) but, you want the planning to favor something you approve of and when you don't it's the other guys fault. That ain't how gov't works. Laws ALWAYS favor one side/person or another. A.L.W.A.Y.S.
You seem to believe higher or more taxes are the answer. See the previous statement. Taxes are LAW. Think about that.
Businesses are so over-regulated by LAW that competition is kept at a minimum, legally (LAWS)- those that are *large* have the resources to move where the LAW (taxes) are more favorable- the *little* guy is stuck where he's at- Central Planning!

The roads everywhere are less than admirable- again, Central Planning- states depending on the fed gov't to subsidize the efforts - guess where the money goes? There is a saying in the Over The Road Trucking industry- we have 2 seasons, winter and construction-

What you and those who think? like you fail to recognize is; FREE trade is the answer. Not MORE LAWS restricting trade by fools who have no skin in the game-

New Topics

Forum List

Back