Small Town Rural America Has Been Screwed

Yea Dana, don’t you have a man to cook and clean for? And when you have a spare moment, you could watch The View and Dr Phil! :lol:

Thank you for that laugh. I needed it.

I have never seen most of what is on TV these days.

I have much better things to do with my time.

Looking forward to your next update - Hope all is well with the Toyota tire!

I took my car to the Toyota dealer in Flagstaff this morning. They checked the tires and gave the car a clean bill of health.

So I hit the road to resume my trip. I'm not the type to let a blown out tire to stop me from an adventure I've wanted to take for a very long time. If there had been some bad damage or all the other tires were bad, I would have seriously considered just going home.

It was incredible. The minute I crossed the state line to California, Interstate 40 became flat, smooth and like the roads at home. No pot holes or anything. What you and I would consider a normal road.

The stupid republicans may mock the fact that we pay higher taxes but we actually get something for the taxes we pay. I'm extremely happy to pay higher taxes to be able to drive my car on roads I don't have to worry are going to end up killing me because they are so bad. Or at the very least, cause a lot of damage to my car.

I'm hitting the road again in the morning and expect to be in Santa Monica by afternoon. I'm going to stay with my original plan and head north up the coast.

I should be in your area by Tuesday at the latest. Send me a message.

Kinda sad that small town America votes republican. Republican politicians will never do anything to help their way of life. An affordable government run health care system like other more advanced countries have would certainly help their and their children make it through life. I say that as someone who has voted republican at times also, but I've come to realize that republicans really don't care about any one who's not wealthy although they pretend to, and are pretty successful at it.

Yep, but they surely do love the poorly educated in the sticks - until it comes time to actually DO something for ‘em.
Problem of course is that the jobs young college grads want and where they want to live are burbs outside of major cities.
So eventually many of them leave the smaller towns resulting in population attrition and general decay.
There is not much that can be done to revive most small rural towns. A hundred years ago, 49% of Americans lived in those rural areas. Today it is only 14% and dropping about 1% each decade. The population of most of these tiny towns today is old like everything else in town, depending on some type of government support. 60 years ago, these same towns served small farms that have been replaced by large cooperate agricultural enterprises who buy from large suppliers in the cities. I have an aunt who lives in one of these small towns in Oklahoma. About the only real businesses are the two truck stops on Interstate about 3 miles outside of town.

Great post -90% agree. Little Pink Houses - Somehow this tune from the 80s works for this thread. Not a lot has changed 35 years later - Sad

I love John Mellencamp. I've worked with him. What a sweetheart. Very professional. Nothing fancy. He doesn't need it. He's real and very down to earth. But at least when I worked with him, smoked way too many cigarettes.

He also puts on a fantastic show.

It was incredible. The minute I crossed the state line to California, Interstate 40 became flat, smooth and like the roads at home. No pot holes or anything. What you and I would consider a normal road.

The stupid republicans may mock the fact that we pay higher taxes but we actually get something for the taxes we pay. I'm extremely happy to pay higher taxes to be able to drive my car on roads I don't have to worry are going to end up killing me because they are so bad. ......

Yeah, that preserves you to be killed by all the illegal aliens your fellow democrats invite into your state.

this is mostly a nice post. . . except the part where you try to pin it on one parties' politician or another.

The folks in fly over country just want some representation. . . someone to speak for them and their values. I don't think they care what party that person is calling themselves, I really don't.

You either have no idea how economics and politics work, or you know damn well how it all works, and just lie your ass off. I don't know which.

The reason the roads and infrastructure looks so bad? Is because local communities are responsible for their local infrastructure. If there is no tax base? There can be no road millage, it is as simple as that. Government, especially federal government, cannot magically create improved economic conditions, even with a minimum wage. Only business can create jobs and economic opportunity.

You somehow believe that these folks, if they voted for politicians in the DNC, that those politicians would listen to these folks more than they would listen to the billionaire stake holders on Wall-street and in Silicon Valley that fund their campaigns, especially when they are already winning the votes of the metropolises? IS that what you really think?

I again, ask you. . . are you this stoopid, or just a liar? :dunno:

All really big national infrastructure programs have been initiated and run by the federal government.
The last one was 87 years ago. We're beyond due.
View attachment 478089

I posted facts. I’m sorry you don’t like them man! ;)
No, the facts you posted were about the federal investment in infrastructure.

It most decidedly WAS your opinion as to whether we need to make another major investment again into some sort of federal infrastructure project.

I read the comments on what the Biden Administration has in mind, I read that White House memo. Much of it was rhetoric which was intended to promote waste, graft, and corruption. Nothing has fundamentally changed from Trump. Trump had his WALL, Biden has his infrastructure. It is just an excuse to give away contracts and reward stake holders. Just who the hell do you think you are talking to? :dunno:

Since the Clinton administration managed to finagle in base-line budgeting over the objections and howling protestations of many small government conservatives? There should really be no real need for any big infrastructure investments, if there were no graft and corruption in government vis-à-vis the stake holders which are the clients of the STATE.

. . . but come. . . we are both intelligent, we know what this is really about. . . so stop the bullshit now, O.K.?

YES. . . it IS your opinion that the Federal government needs to give away more tax payer cash on things that you want defined as "federal infrastructure" projects.

giphy.gif

Appreciate your ability to articulate a viewpoint. But you’ve yet to articulate what was so horrible about all the truly great things our government has done.

Sorry man, as much as you hate the federal government, if you look back on American history while there have been plenty of fuckups, there has been far more great innovation and beauty.

You want a wall? Fine, start a fundraiser and build it yourself. More of us would prefer bridges that weren’t crumbling, roads that didn’t puncture perfectly good tires, water free of lead, electrical grids that didn’t freeze over, modem airports and other mass transport that wasn’t freaking embarrassing.

Last edited:
Yea Dana, don’t you have a man to cook and clean for? And when you have a spare moment, you could watch The View and Dr Phil! :lol:

I took my car to the Toyota dealer in Flagstaff this morning. They checked the tires and gave the car a clean bill of health.

So I hit the road to resume my trip. I'm not the type to let a blown out tire to stop me from an adventure I've wanted to take for a very long time. If there had been some bad damage or all the other tires were bad, I would have seriously considered just going home.

The stupid republicans may mock the fact that we pay higher taxes but we actually get something for the taxes we pay. I'm extremely happy to pay higher taxes to be able to drive my car on roads I don't have to worry are going to end up killing me because they are so bad. Or at the very least, cause a lot of damage to my car.

I'm hitting the road again in the morning and expect to be in Santa Monica by afternoon. I'm going to stay with my original plan and head north up the coast.

I see the same thing driving Hwy 84 in and out of Idaho. Boise/ Ada County roads are great, but get into Canyon County and it’s a carnival ride until you hit the Oregon line!

I see the same thing driving Hwy 84 in and out of Idaho. Boise/ Ada County roads are great, but get into Canyon County and it’s a carnival ride until you hit the Oregon line!

I like sitting in hours of bumper to bumper traffic with uninsured wetbacks on the 5, 405 and 91 in south Mexifornia, it sure beats sharing those wide open bumpy roadways with legimate core Americans ...I love losing time I’ll never get back in traffic....it’s awesome!
Thanks LefTards.
Dana7360

Appreciate your ability to articulate a viewpoint. But you’ve yet to articulate what was so horrible about all the truly great things our government has done.

Sorry man, as much as you hate the federal government, if you look back on American history while there have been plenty of fuckups, there has been far more great innovation and beauty.

You want a wall? Fine, start a fundraiser and build it yourself. More of us would prefer bridges that weren’t crumbling, roads that didn’t puncture perfectly good tires, water free of lead, modern electrical grids that didn’t freeze over, and airports that weren’t embarrassing.

See, it's discussions like this, when I am trying to explain to a layman about how government actually works, and they confuse my knowledge of government, with my opinion.

YOU, seem to have this idea, much like the OP, that the Federal Government would just go in and pave the roads of Route 66. This is a misconception.

The States and localities are responsible for infrastructure. The Federal Government makes plans, but due to federalism, can only make Grants, and Block Grants with strings attached in an effort to ply it's will. If the states do not choose to do what the Feds. want? They don't necessarily get the grants.

You are aware that Obama's "Common Core," failed just as miserably as this will if the vision is not laid out better. Because, in the end, it is the STATES that administer it, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. And this plan will meet the same end as Common Core if you keep on with your arrogance.

All of those examples you gave? They are all the business of the States and Localities, always have been, and always will be. The entire thread is. . well, one big straw-man and a lie. I laugh at it, but then, I have training in government, and I KNOW how the system works. Your fantasies are just that. . . big plans for slush funds for graft and corruption.

You can list ACTUAL Federal projects, where the Fed. has the authority, but then don't go on to list local and state areas where it has none, and tell us there is a harm which can be alleviated with Federal power, which the Constitution prohibits.

Do you think Joe and the DNC are some sort of politburo and a dictator now? Do you think our system does not apply anymore? :dunno:

"The overwhelming majority of roads in the United States are owned and maintained by state and local governments. Federally maintained roads are generally found only on federal lands (such as national parks) and at federal facilities (like military bases). The Interstate Highway System is partly funded by the federal government but owned and maintained by individual state governments. There are a few private highways in the United States, which use tolls to pay for construction and maintenance. There are many local private roads, generally serving remote or insular residences. . . . "

1920px-Transportation_GDP.png

Many, many, of these other programs that this administration wants to claim as "infrastructure," are the same. They are the jurisdiction of the various STATES, not the Feds. So I am just not sure, if this administration is going to have success with this program, it will have to build not only a coalition with the GOP, but with the people in the STATES.

And after the way the DNC and the corporatacracy came to office and is gas-lighting half the nation making them feel like terrorists? Yeah. . . good luck with that. :cool:

You want a wall? Fine, start a fundraiser and build it yourself. More of us would prefer bridges that weren’t crumbling, roads that didn’t puncture perfectly good tires, water free of lead, modern electrical grids that didn’t freeze over, and airports that weren’t embarrassing.

See, it's discussions like this, when I am trying to explain to a layman about how government actually works, and they confuse my knowledge of government, with my opinion.

YOU, seem to have this idea, much like the OP, that the Federal Government would just go in and pave the roads of Route 66. This is a misconception.

The States and localities are responsible for infrastructure. The Federal Government makes plans, but due to federalism, can only make Grants, and Block Grants with strings attached in an effort to ply it's will. If the states do not choose to do what the Feds. want? They don't necessarily get the grants.

You are aware that Obama's "Common Core," failed just as miserably as this will if the vision is not laid out better. Because, in the end, it is the STATES that administer it, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. And this plan will meet the same end as Common Core if you keep on with your arrogance.

All of those examples you gave? They are all the business of the States and Localities, always have been, and always will be. The entire thread is. . well, one big straw-man and a lie. I laugh at it, but then, I have training in government, and I KNOW how the system works. Your fantasies are just that. . . big plans for slush funds for graft and corruption.

You can list ACTUAL Federal projects, where the Fed. has the authority, but then don't go on to list local and state areas where it has none, and tell us there is a harm which can be alleviated with Federal power, which the Constitution prohibits.

Do you think Joe and the DNC are some sort of politburo and a dictator now? Do you think our system does not apply anymore? :dunno:

"The overwhelming majority of roads in the United States are owned and maintained by state and local governments. Federally maintained roads are generally found only on federal lands (such as national parks) and at federal facilities (like military bases). The Interstate Highway System is partly funded by the federal government but owned and maintained by individual state governments. There are a few private highways in the United States, which use tolls to pay for construction and maintenance. There are many local private roads, generally serving remote or insular residences. . . . "

1920px-Transportation_GDP.png

Many, many, of these other programs that this administration wants to claim as "infrastructure," are the same. They are the jurisdiction of the various STATES, not the Feds. So I am just not sure, if this administration is going to have success with this program, it will have to build not only a coalition with the GOP, but with the people in the STATES.

And after the way the DNC and the corporatacracy came to office and is gas-lighting half the nation making them feel like terrorists? Yeah. . . good luck with that. :cool:

Trump told us that only HE knew how the system worked and so HE and HE alone could fix it. How’d that work out? Your hubris is similar.

But what the F - Let’s put Kansas in charge of NASA, Oklahoma in charge of FEMA, South Dakota in charge of vaccine distribution, & Wyoming in charge of the Army Corp of Engineers. :lol:

I never voted for Trump Doc.

As far as keeping the Feds to their lane and the States to theirs? I have no problem with that. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

For non-losers, red states afford a MUCH higher standard of living than blue states. That is because of Republican policies. When will Democrats get that through their thick skulls? Stop moving here if you don’t like it.

Yes, it would be a nightmare if a lib-rul were to move next door to you. Worse yet - a BLLLLACK family. Red states are subsidized by the federal government for all the loser white welfare trash they generally contain. So there is that.

eBuDrkIah9UKDtvsoHAnV4YTZZN1oXJaVGE6lVlDPIk.jpg

LOL..Maybe you should do some demographics research. It isn’t ”white welfare trash” that are responsible for the draw on the federal government in red states. In my red state, there is a high population of minorities who vote in mass for Democrats. They also get the majority of government assistance per capita. In addition, who do you think the vast majority who are drawing government assistance in every state, red or blue, vote for? Yes, Democrats and it isn’t close. If all Democrats left my state, our government assistance would be minuscule as the overwheming majority of Republicans are self-sufficient.

I would also like to note the taxes in the blue states. The working Democrats who have been brainwashed to vote for Democrats are heavily subsidizing the losers. In red states, the taxes are much lower because we don’t believe it is our responsiblility to pay for such laziness. Democrats are starting to realize just how crazy it is to pay such taxes and they are leaving, but I fear it hasn’t quite clicked as to what exactly caused those taxes and they will continue voting for it in the red states. Indoctrination does quite a number to a person’s objectivity or lack thereof.

And in the us there are many people who will say
1) social security should go away
2) Medicare should go away
3) no pensions for anyone
4). Femla is bad
5) Paid sick time not good
6). Here's the best like me ever...one can live nicely on $15 per hour. What a load of absolute crap that is. Not in today's america. No way no how.

The fact is a person can have the greatest work ethic ever, and never get ahead. I see people working jobs that pay less than $20 and they have no hope for retirement until social security which many people claim to hate.

What capitalism? You type all of this hogwash and dont even understand your own premise.
You bitter fool.

Exactly.
It boggles the mind how utterly wrong a person can be while convinced they are right.
Probably read 10 pages of some leftist book and thinks he is an expert on economics.

sure beats sharing those wide open bumpy roadways with legimate core Americans .

She's full of shit. If she came from Illinois then she likely traveled through Misery on the interstate that is next to route 66 because it's not really in use. She was probably upchucked onto I-44 which is a toll road and if she stayed true to route 66 she got off around the Vinita exit in Oklahoma. The entire route is about as touristy as they can muster. In fact, Vinita has a route 66 festival and world famous chicken fried steak at Clanton's Cafe. Made famous by Guy Fieri. Several years ago there was a spotlight on the crumbling bridges in the state along with other areas in the nation, the state went to work on all of that and especially on a road that is more of a tourist destination.

Here would be the information on air quality. Air Quality Division - Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality

She was likely nailed by allergies like everyone else. As far as water, that really depends on where your at. If there is a break, is there a sceptic tank involved, and if there is a line but for the most part......I'm not buying it.

The area is predominantly cattle ranches and there are long stretches' of absolutely nothing. Abandoned towns have more to do with who lived there previously. So, if it was settled like say 1900 then it was probably a combination of agriculture and oil. Boomtowns. If there is no job opportunity in the area then people leave or sell land and get out. Some areas had manufacturing but that moved to Mexico and so the people have no place to work. Normal everyday stuff.

If you continue down that path you will hit some wealthy areas with a couple of lakes that people spend the weekends on. I'm thinking if you have to have someone check in with an aunt that can verify three towns you ( and your bullshit artist buddy) are lying or ignorant. She may be both.

LOL..Maybe you should do some demographics research. It isn’t ”white welfare trash” that are responsible for the draw on the federal government in red states. In my red state, there is a high population of minorities who vote in mass for Democrats. They also get the majority of government assistance per capita. In addition, who do you think the vast majority who are drawing government assistance in every state, red or blue, vote for? Yes, Democrats and it isn’t close. If all Democrats left my state, our government assistance would be minuscule as the overwheming majority of Republicans are self-sufficient.

I would also like to note the taxes in the blue states. The working Democrats who have been brainwashed to vote for Democrats are heavily subsidizing the losers. In red states, the taxes are much lower because we don’t believe it is our responsiblility to pay for such laziness. Democrats are starting to realize just how crazy it is to pay such taxes and they are leaving, but I fear it hasn’t quite clicked as to what exactly caused those taxes and they will continue voting for it in the red states. Indoctrination does quite a number to a person’s objectivity or lack thereof.

Not to worry - Schooling ill-informed RW Kooks is what I do best! ;)

Welfare demographics

As far as keeping the Feds to their lane and the States to theirs? I have no problem with that. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Perhaps you didn't vote for Trumpy Bear I dunno Beale - But I don't recall many instances in which you criticized him- Perhaps I am mistaken. You're definitely a conservative (perhaps why you didn't vote for Rump ;-) But there's a funny thing about cons. They support states rights so long as they agree with what they're doing. If not, you want Big Brother Fed to step in. If you need examples, I got a hundred of 'em from the legalization of weed (Sessions) to Oregon's Death with Dignity law (Ashcroft).

The fact is a person can have the greatest work ethic ever, and never get ahead. I see people working jobs that pay less than $20 and they have no hope for retirement until social security which many people claim to hate.

Why do begging Tards always fail to understand that hard work is only a small fraction of the total equation?
Why do they forget about decision making side of things...such as choosing a career path with an income upside for a grown adult?

Perhaps you didn't vote for Trumpy Bear I dunno Beale - But I don't recall many instances in which you criticized him- Perhaps I am mistaken. You're definitely a conservative (perhaps why you didn't vote for Rump ;-) But there's a funny thing about cons. They support states rights so long as they agree with what they're doing. If not, you want Big Brother Fed to step in. If you need examples, I got a hundred of 'em from the legalization of weed (Sessions) to Oregon's Death with Dignity law (Ashcroft).
I love how you get to define what people are. . . in relation to what YOU are. That is interesting.

But yeah, I have criticized Trump plenty of times, notably for not keeping many of the promises he made during his campaign. I also have always believed that he was working with the very Deep State that he vocally said he was fighting. This criticism, never made me many friends on this board.

Now. . as far was what my true political identity is? I am a free thinker, that believes in the Federalism that Jefferson believed in. I see you more as a Hamiltonian.

I find it interesting that you need to classify me, who is a classical liberal, as a "conservative," which of course, is false. This is just ignorance on your part.

I am one of the most consistent posters on this forum as far as political beliefs. I meet few that are as consistent. . . and I could name them if you wish.

I don't feel much of a need to criticize politicians on either side, TBH, because I know how the system works. These politicians are put there to make you feel like you have a choice. . . we don't. The stake holders are the ones that run the system.

I correctly predicted who was going to be put in power, regardless of who anyone voted for. . . so it doesn't make much difference. The folks running the show are going to do what they are going to do, unless there is a ground swell of resistance. That means? Unless we all agree something is bad and all folks, left, right, and center push back, regardless of the propaganda in the CFR press and the algorithms in the social media. I have only seen that a few times in my life.

I love how you get to define what people are. . . in relation to what YOU are. That is interesting.

But yeah, I have criticized Trump plenty of times, notably for not keeping many of the promises he made during his campaign. I also have always believed that he was working with the very Deep State that he vocally said he was fighting. This criticism, never made me many friends on this board.

Now. . as far was what my true political identity is? I am a free thinker, that believes in the Federalism that Jefferson believed in. I see you more as a Hamiltonian.

I find it interesting that you need to classify me, who is a classical liberal, as a "conservative," which of course, is false. This is just ignorance on your part.

I am one of the most consistent posters on this forum as far as political beliefs. I meet few that are as consistent. . . and I could name them if you wish.

I don't feel much of a need to criticize politicians on either side, TBH, because I know how the system works. These politicians are put there to make you feel like you have a choice. . . we don't. The stake holders are the ones that run the system.

I correctly predicted who was going to be put in power, regardless of who anyone voted for. . . so it doesn't make much difference. The folks running the show are going to do what they are going to do, unless there is a ground swell of resistance. That means? Unless we all agree something is bad and all folks, left, right, and center push back, regardless of the propaganda in the CFR press and the algorithms in the social media. I have only seen that a few times in my life.

Thanks - You're definitely a tad confusing but definitely a more competent and independent thinker than the average Trumpette 'round these parts. But you're use of the term "Deep State" is telling. I guess it depends on how you define it - Personally I believe in government and don't believe in some sort of "One World Order" agenda as propagated by Q-Kooks. It's just institutions, career professionals. and well you know - Mostly competent people.

Thanks - You're definitely a tad confusing but definitely a more competent and independent thinker than the average Trumpette 'round these parts. But you're use of the term "Deep State" is telling. I guess it depends on how you define it - Personally I believe in government and don't believe in some sort of "One World Order" agenda as propagated by Q-Kooks. It's just institutions, career professionals. and well you know - Mostly competent people.
The, "Deep State," is a term that was coined by intellectuals at universities, and within the public service sector, with it's roots going back to IKE.

The term was co-opted by the Trump admin. for political purposes, precisely to make folks like you believe that the revolving door and iron triangles ARE NOT a problem, see, it worked? :dunno:

One could almost say, that whole Trump administration was a co-intel. operation by the Deep State itself, to make normal folks think the Deep State IS NOT in control, when, in fact, it is now more in control than ever!!

What. . . you actually think THIS guy is calling that shots?
giphy-downsized.gif

:heehee:

Here, this PBS interview occurred years before Trump ever announced he was running. Watch it to understand what reality is in the world of educated political scientists on this issue.

The Deep State Hiding in Plain Sight
•Apr 15, 2014

Essay: Anatomy of the Deep State

February 21, 2014
by Mike Lofgren

Forum List

Back