Small Bursts of Exercise Have Big Benefits

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Further evidence that being sedentary is very detrimental, and any amount of exercise can pay off for your long term health.

Dashing up the stairs to your apartment, weaving between commuters as you dart toward the train — those small snippets of exercise, if they’re intense enough, can add up, according to a new study. The paper is among the first to examine what many exercise scientists have long hypothesized: A little bit of physical activity goes a long way, even movement you might not consider a workout.

The paper, published today in Nature Medicine, shows that tiny spurts of exercise throughout the day are associated with significant reductions in disease risk. Researchers used data from fitness trackers collected by UK Biobank, a large medical database with health information from people across the United Kingdom. They looked at the records of over 25,000 people who did not regularly exercise, with an average age around 60, and followed them over the course of nearly seven years. (People who walked recreationally once a week were included, but that was the maximum amount of concerted exercise these participants did.)

Those who engaged in one or two-minute bursts of exercise roughly three times a day, like speed-walking while commuting to work or rapidly climbing stairs, showed a nearly 50 percent reduction in cardiovascular mortality risk and a roughly 40 percent reduction in the risk of dying from cancer as well as all causes of mortality, compared with those who did no vigorous spurts of fitness.

Further evidence that being sedentary is very detrimental, and any amount of exercise can pay off for your long term health.

Dashing up the stairs to your apartment, weaving between commuters as you dart toward the train — those small snippets of exercise, if they’re intense enough, can add up, according to a new study. The paper is among the first to examine what many exercise scientists have long hypothesized: A little bit of physical activity goes a long way, even movement you might not consider a workout.

The paper, published today in Nature Medicine, shows that tiny spurts of exercise throughout the day are associated with significant reductions in disease risk. Researchers used data from fitness trackers collected by UK Biobank, a large medical database with health information from people across the United Kingdom. They looked at the records of over 25,000 people who did not regularly exercise, with an average age around 60, and followed them over the course of nearly seven years. (People who walked recreationally once a week were included, but that was the maximum amount of concerted exercise these participants did.)

Those who engaged in one or two-minute bursts of exercise roughly three times a day, like speed-walking while commuting to work or rapidly climbing stairs, showed a nearly 50 percent reduction in cardiovascular mortality risk and a roughly 40 percent reduction in the risk of dying from cancer as well as all causes of mortality, compared with those who did no vigorous spurts of fitness.

Long as it's not too much burst to it or you can hit the dirt. But I do understand that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Good to see that the base information comes out of God's Garden where we tend to look so well and in balance .

Unlike all those American Oinkers you see everywhere .

Explains why we tend to top the Olympic medal tables time after time -- pro rata to population .

Australia give us a run(!) for our money but they need to run fast given their spider and snake populations

My view of interval training is either riding my bike on hills, or doing a defined, interval session on either a treadmill or stationary bike. Or doing wind-sprints on the road, I guess.

On my stationary bike, I do seven 90 second intervals, as follows. 90 seconds at a relaxed pace, 90 seconds at 100 rpm with the resistance set at 10 (varies from machine to machine), then 90 seconds at a relaxed pace, then 90 seconds at setting 11. And so on. My last exertion is with the machine level set at 15.

When I complete the last interval, my heart rate is around 125, which is about what I want at 73y.o.

1. I have one of those cheap step counters (NOT pedometers). I bought three different step counters. They vary in results. One might say 1,000 steps walked, the other maybe 1,500, and the last one maybe 2,000. To be safe I chose the most conservative one to use.

2. I try to reach at least 10,000 steps a day. Yes, I know the number was arbitrarily selected by a doctor in Japan. But it does seem that many experts on good health now suggest that everyone try to reach that goal (or even a little less).

3. Everything counts. If you can, take the stairs at work instead of the elevator.

4. We live in a two-story house. Although I have little need to go to the second floor, I purposely try to walk up (and back) to the second floor TEN times a day.

5, Above all, if you live in a fairly safe area, try walking to the post office or bank or pharmacy at least once a week. You will be delighted by how many steps you took and how well you will sleep by walking those miles.

You really cannot overstate the importance of walking. Whenever I hear someone has trouble walking, I know that is one strike against their long term health. If they smoke, that's two strikes. If you are morbidly obese, you are on borrowed time.

If you can walk, walk frequently. I have trouble walking these days, but I don't have pain when I walk, so I keep walkkng. Earlier this week the dew point was over 70 and it was over 90 degrees and I walked 4.5 miles, I was drenched when I got done. Normally I would see more than a few people over the course of my walk, as it's a popular route for walkers, and i only saw one family on a short walk in the 1.5 hours of my walk. I like walking in the heat and the cold, it's good for the body.

I also see elederly people out walking this route, and they are trim and fit, and they are regulars. They know the benefits of walking, but many people do not. The benefits are too numerous to bother mentioning.

Exactly the strategy employed by Dear Uncle Ps brave lads . They sit and relax on higher ground for an hour or two while the US -Ukey Nazi Leemings come hopping towards them . Then Boom . The brave Russian lads spring from lethargy to hard action and fire off their artillery . The Nazis ruin it by all falling over dead . But for some reason these short burst physical activity sessions remain winners every time .

Forum List

Back