Slum Lord To Pay Maryland $3.25 Million

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
Kushner Company, as in Jared Kushner and family. The former President Trump's son-in-law that is.
Maybe Baltimore be better off with the new owners.

"The property management subsidiary of Jared Kushner's family real estate company has agreed to pay a $3.25 million fine to the state of Maryland and to reimburse many of the tens of thousands of tenants in the Kushners' Baltimore-area apartment complexes for excessive fees and for rent they were forced to pay over the past decade despite serious maintenance problems in the units"

"The agreement represents the settlement of a 2019 lawsuit brought against the subsidiary, Westminster Management, by the Maryland attorney general. The state alleged that the company's "unfair or deceptive" rental practices violated Maryland's consumer protection laws and "victimized" people, "many of whom are financially vulnerable, at all stages of offering and leasing."

"This is a case in which landlords deceived and cheated tenants and subjected them to miserable living conditions," said Attorney General Brian Frosh, a Democrat, at a press conference announcing the settlement Friday morning in Baltimore. "These were not wealthy people. Many struggled to pay the rent, to put food on the table, to take care of their kids, to keep everybody healthy, and Westminster used its vastly superior economic power to take advantage of them."

Kushner Company, as in Jared Kushner and family. The former President Trump's son-in-law that is.

"The property management subsidiary of Jared Kushner's family real estate company has agreed to pay a $3.25 million fine to the state of Maryland and to reimburse many of the tens of thousands of tenants in the Kushners' Baltimore-area apartment complexes for excessive fees and for rent they were forced to pay over the past decade despite serious maintenance problems in the units"

"The agreement represents the settlement of a 2019 lawsuit brought against the subsidiary, Westminster Management, by the Maryland attorney general. The state alleged that the company's "unfair or deceptive" rental practices violated Maryland's consumer protection laws and "victimized" people, "many of whom are financially vulnerable, at all stages of offering and leasing."

"This is a case in which landlords deceived and cheated tenants and subjected them to miserable living conditions," said Attorney General Brian Frosh, a Democrat, at a press conference announcing the settlement Friday morning in Baltimore. "These were not wealthy people. Many struggled to pay the rent, to put food on the table, to take care of their kids, to keep everybody healthy, and Westminster used its vastly superior economic power to take advantage of them."

Remember when Trump talked about all the rats in Baltimore? Well now we know who their landlord is!

The miserable living conditions and cheating is part and parcel of the trade ... and lawful ... what kind stupid needs deception here? ... I would scream and yell at my tenants for using too much water while I washed my truck ... and then laugh in their faces if they squawked ... "if you don't like it, then you can move" ...

The miserable living conditions and cheating is part and parcel of the trade ... and lawful ... what kind stupid needs deception here? ... I would scream and yell at my tenants for using too much water while I washed my truck ... and then laugh in their faces if they squawked ... "if you don't like it, then you can move" ...
Cheating is lawful where? Here in Baltimore I could put the rent money in escrow, refuse to pay until we settle in rent court and there’s nothing you could do about it.

Remember when Trump talked about all the rats in Baltimore? Well now we know who their landlord is!
I think Kushner expected to net $800 million for 10 different properties. $3.25 is no chump change. Maybe Jared can lend Donald some of that for his legal woes.

2019? wow...seems like things really went downhill once Jared left the company years prior.....

You sound like a POS. In the past I collected for a scumbag landlord. I ended up taking one of his cars for trying to burn me.

Cheating is lawful where? Here in Baltimore I could put the rent money in escrow, refuse to pay until we settle in rent court and there’s nothing you could do about it.

In that case, I win ... and the money in escrow is ordered into my pocket ... the judge is most likely a landlord himself, and knows what lawful businesses look like ... the cheating part comes when we write the laws ... and I literally mean us landlord write the laws ... either campaign contributions or outright service ... I collect rents on the 1st, pay bills on the 2nd, and the rest of the month I have free and can spend that time at the State Capitol ...

The rent money is MINE ... the judge might have me jump through some hoops ... but the money will be mine ... and you will have to keep paying ... until you move ... and then I'll jack up rents and rent to some other middle class slob ...

And depending how the case is resolved, I'll raise rents on YOU ... immediately ... your November rent will be 25% higher ...

Like Father-in-law, like son-in-law

In that case, I win ... and the money in escrow is ordered into my pocket ... the judge is most likely a landlord himself, and knows what lawful businesses look like ... the cheating part comes when we write the laws ... and I literally mean us landlord write the laws ... either campaign contributions or outright service ... I collect rents on the 1st, pay bills on the 2nd, and the rest of the month I have free and can spend that time at the State Capitol ...

The rent money is MINE ... the judge might have me jump through some hoops ... but the money will be mine ... and you will have to keep paying ... until you move ... and then I'll jack up rents and rent to some other middle class slob ...

And depending how the case is resolved, I'll raise rents on YOU ... immediately ... your November rent will be 25% higher ...
Not in Baltimore and you’d only get the money, if you win the case. Since I don’t sue frivolously, you’d be behind the eight ball in court, because I’d have all my evidence ready. You must live in a nightmare town for renters, unless you’re just a bullshitter.

Not in Baltimore and you’d only get the money, if you win the case. Since I don’t sue frivolously, you’d be behind the eight ball in court, because I’d have all my evidence ready. You must live in a nightmare town for renters, unless you’re just a bullshitter.

University of Oregon ... that keeps the vacancy rate below 1% ... stupid City of Eugene won't allow more units to be built, so the rental crisis just gets worst as the university, and other commerce, expand ...

Did I mention a chronic labor shortage? ... "help wanted" signs everyplace and have been up for decades ... no housing ...

... unless you’re just a bullshitter.

Well, I have been known to exaggerate a little sometimes ... I demonstrated moral restraint by only raising rents 15% in 2009 ... when everyone else was raising rents 30% ... the university was expanding just as the housing bubble burst ... it was sad watching people pay up to half their income on rent ...

=====

That was then, this is now ... many States are beginning to reign in the worst of the abuses ... starting with the "no cause" evictions ... I never did this but all other landlords do ... a quick easy way to be rid of tenants you don't like ... forcing all other tenants to be likable ... and perform sex on demand ... and this type of eviction was completely lawful ... the landlord doesn't have to say why you have to move, just you have to move ...

I have no idea what the City of Baltimore has implemented ... Eugene's system is funded through a $25 per month per unit fee on landlords, for which landlords tack on an extra $50 in rent ... no sense missing an opportunity to profiteer ... and I'm outside city limits so I got to keep all the $50 per month per unit ...

Forum List

Back