Slicing real mozzarella-how?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I like to buy real mozzarella, the kind that is more like a ball of wet play-doh, for italian cooking and home-made pizzas. It is hard to slice with a knife and get nice thin, even slices because of its' shape and mushiness, and a cheese slicer just mangles it.

anyone know what I can use? thanks in advance!

I like to buy real mozzarella, the kind that is more like a ball of wet play-doh, for italian cooking and home-made pizzas. It is hard to slice with a knife and get nice thin, even slices because of its' shape and mushiness, and a cheese slicer just mangles it.

Chill it well. It may even need 20 minutes in the freezer. DON'T FREEZE IT! Just a good chill.

Chill it well. It may even need 20 minutes in the freezer. DON'T FREEZE IT! Just a good chill.

I usually take it straight from the fridge to the counter, so I don't think chilling is the problem. I could try the freezer for a few minutes prior, but what can I use to slice it better? can I use one of those rotary grater/slicers that people use for harder cheeses like parmesan, or would that mangle it too? I have a cylinder blade that makes long slices instead of grating

I usually take it straight from the fridge to the counter, so I don't think chilling is the problem. I could try the freezer for a few minutes prior, but what can I use to slice it better? can I use one of those rotary grater/slicers that people use for harder cheeses like parmesan, or would that mangle it too? I have a cylinder blade that makes long slices instead of grating

If you chill it WELL you can use a sharp knife. Very chilled.

You're never going to get even, paper thin slices out of fresh mozzarella...The round grater thing will give you paste.. Best to just deal with approx. 1/8" slices, not totally even slices. :)

Have you tried an egg slicer? Those are good for slicing A LOT of different foods... eggs, mushrooms, strawberries... I have a Mozzarella Slicer but it makes larger (traditional) slices than you're looking for. http://tinyurl.com/vwuhz

This is interesting topic. We never try and slice it alls we do is use the cheese grinder thingy to spread it over our pies and whatnot. Fresh is the best all that other stuff is flat out garbage. I'd have gone down the street to our italian market and asked them how to slice it.

Have you tried an egg slicer? Those are good for slicing A LOT of different foods... eggs, mushrooms, strawberries... I have a Mozzarella Slicer but it makes larger (traditional) slices than you're looking for. http://tinyurl.com/vwuhz
i can try that, but it would seem that is the same concept as a roller-slicer normally used for harder cheeses. I tried that and it just mangled it. I'll just have to buy a few packs and experiment.

i can try that, but it would seem that is the same concept as a roller-slicer normally used for harder cheeses. I tried that and it just mangled it. I'll just have to buy a few packs and experiment.

I find that the mozzarella slicer works great on the fresh, which I also buy often but again, they're thicker traditional slices... how about asking at the deli to slice it for you on their meat/cheese slicer? As someone else mentioned, you're probably never going to get extremely thin slices from fresh, but they certainly might be able to get it thinner than can be done by hand.

I find that the mozzarella slicer works great on the fresh, which I also buy often but again, they're thicker traditional slices... how about asking at the deli to slice it for you on their meat/cheese slicer? As someone else mentioned, you're probably never going to get extremely thin slices from fresh, but they certainly might be able to get it thinner than can be done by hand.
i don't get it at a deli...i don't even think there's one around here. I get it at the supermarket.

yeah, i never thought to ask them. the cheese is pre-packaged from wisconsin (i'm in mn)...i'll ask next time I get it.

ahhh... have you ever had fresh, just made mozzarella, so fresh that it's still warm... oh my that's cheesy heaven
love-hearteyes1.gif

now I'm craving some...
yahoo-drool.gif

good luck in your quest and let us know if you figured something out!

Forum List

Back