Slavery, soul food and the power of Black women

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Black women may very well be the architects of home cooking and soul food.

Remembering the staples of Africa, they imaginatively concocted and skillfully cooked flavorful recipes that would feed a house full of people.

"(They had) the magic of cooking in the marrow of their bodies," said Newark native chef Thérèse Nelson and founder of Black Culinary History, which she describes as "a place for reverent examination of our culinary past while supporting the work that will build our culinary future."

And while some would say they did it with food often considered the master’s leftovers, Nelson disagrees. Instead of focusing on what they were given, we should keep in mind "how they were able to negotiate their skillsets" to live.

It's an interesting article. I'm not so sure that I agree with the barbecue claim. But, there is a book mentioned in here that I haven't read either. Having done zero research on my part I"m not going to argue it.

It is nice to read an uplifting article about the folks under consideration. Thanks.

All we usually hear about them is negative.

Yes, I have heard that both men AND women of that group are good cooks and their meals are really delicious.

Besides food, their contributions to sports & music have been many. I am referring to their music of the 1960s & 1970s (Diana Ross was the greatest!).

We old geezers (I'm 83) have some nice memories.

P.O.V. of rich people who had servants cook and clean for them.
"(They had) the magic of cooking in the marrow of their bodies," said Newark native chef Thérèse Nelson and founder of Black Culinary History, which she describes as "a place for reverent examination of our culinary past while supporting the work that will build our culinary future."
There are probably more than a few top-dollar high-class restaurants in that part of town. Rich people discovered they don't actually want to live with the waitresses, cleaning ladies, laundry women, and cooks 24×7.

Remembering the staples of Africa, they imaginatively concocted and skillfully cooked flavorful recipes that would feed a house full of people.

And while some would say they did it with food often considered the master’s leftovers, Nelson disagrees. Instead of focusing on what they were given, we should keep in mind "how they were able to negotiate their skillsets" to live.

It's an interesting article. I'm not so sure that I agree with the barbecue claim. But, there is a book mentioned in here that I haven't read either. Having done zero research on my part I"m not going to argue it.
I don't know much about it either, but coming from deep roots of folks who DIDN'T have black women cooking for them, I can sure testify white folks were terrible cooks.

I'm in love with southern cooking. I had real soul food on vacation there, and it was awesome except it was way too salty--and I am one of the few people who still uses a salt shaker.

I don't know much about it either, but coming from deep roots of folks who DIDN'T have black women cooking for them, I can sure testify white folks were terrible cooks.
I have Nordic ancestry. Traditional foods are somewhat bland, without the spices and herbs native to Africa and other tropical regions.

I have Nordic ancestry. Traditional foods are somewhat bland, without the spices and herbs native to Africa and other tropical regions.
British here. Thank God for diversity!

Forum List

Back