Slavery A Blessing ?

LogikAndReazon

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2012
Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has a book, titled "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative." Among its statements for which Hubbard has been criticized and disavowed by the Republican Party is, "The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

Hubbard's observation reminded me of my 1972 job interview at the University of Massachusetts. During a reception, one of the Marxist professors asked me what I thought about the relationship between capitalism and slavery. My response was that slavery has existed everywhere in the world, under every political and economic system, and was by no means unique to capitalism or the United States. Perturbed by my response, he asked me what my feelings were about the enslavement of my ancestors. I answered that slavery is a despicable violation of human rights but that the enslavement of my ancestors is history, and one of the immutable facts of history is that nothing can be done to change it.

The matter could have been left there, but I volunteered that today's American blacks have benefited enormously from the horrible suffering of our ancestors. Why? I said the standard of living and personal liberty of black Americans are better than what blacks living anywhere in Africa have. I then asked the professor what it was that explained how tens of millions of blacks came to be born in the U.S. instead of Africa. He wouldn't answer, but an answer other than slavery would have been sheer idiocy. I attempted to assuage the professor's and his colleagues' shock by explaining to them that to morally condemn a practice such as slavery does not require one to also deny its effects....

What You Can't Say - Walter E. Williams - Page 1

you gotta love Williams for having a logical mind and the courage to speak his opinion no matter where the logic leads him.

Slavery has not been a blessing for whites. If the slave trade had never existed the downtown areas of our once proud cities would not be asphalt jungles. They would be centers of civilization. They would not be known for the sound of gun fire and police sirens. They would be known for atmospheric restaurants and taverns, new bookstores and used bookstores, theaters, and so on.

Slavery has not been a blessing for whites. If the slave trade had never existed the downtown areas of our once proud cities would not be asphalt jungles. They would be centers of civilization. They would not be known for the sound of gun fire and police sirens. They would be known for atmospheric restaurants and taverns, new bookstores and used bookstores, theaters, and so on.

How many times are you going to post the exact same thing, asshole? Do you think it such great insight that no one should be at risk of missing it? Guess again.

How many times are you going to post the exact same thing, asshole? Do you think it such great insight that no one should be at risk of missing it? Guess again.

The truth does not change. It is often worth repeating.

The truth does not change.

It's called 'Spam,' and you wouldn't know the truth if it bitch-slapped you to tears, spiked your head into the ground, and spit on your helpless, whimpering form before walking away in utter disdain.

being a texan must be weird,walking around with a face splaterred with "cow pucky".

The truth does not change.

It's called 'Spam,' and you wouldn't know the truth if it bitch-slapped you to tears, spiked your head into the ground, and spit on your helpless, whimpering form before walking away in utter disdain.

What is the truth?

Last edited:
Try again in English, moron.

I am a better speller than you are a debater. You are capable of nothing but puerile insults.

I will not say that Negro slavery was a blessing for blacks. As many as one third of the slaves died in the middle passage. On the large plantations in the deep South the death rate was high from disease.

I will say that Negro slavery was a curse for most whites. In the South nine out of ten whites did not own slaves. Farmers without slaves had difficulty competing with plantations worked by slaves. Tradesmen and professionals in the South usually earned less than they would have in the North.

In the longer run slavery has been a curse for whites because of the continuing presence of blacks. Blacks have a rate of violent crime that is nearly eight times the white rate. When blacks move into a white neighborhood they turn it into a crime infested slum. We whites would be far better off if there were no blacks in this country.

Culturally blacks have contributed some good literature and unique genres of music. Nevertheless, the literature deals almost exclusively with white racism and black victimization. There has been no effort to deal honestly with the ways blacks cause their own problems with their high rates of crime and illegitimacy and their inferior intellectual performance.

As far as music is concerned, I like jazz, blues, rock & roll, and soul music. I think rap music is ugly and morally depraved. It reveals how the black culture in the United States has deteriorated, rather than improved since the civil rights legislation was passed.

Without the black input I suspect that American popular music would have been more shaped by Celtic music. It would be softer, and more romantic.

For me real music is classical music. Blacks have contributed virtually nothing to that.

Boxing matches, and basketball and football games would be less interesting without black athletes. Nevertheless, we whites performed reasonably well in those sports before blacks dominated them. We invented those sports.

At any rate, black literature, black music, and more interesting sports events do not begin to compensate for the cost of black crime and the expensive criminal justice system that is necessary to control black crime.

Last edited:
25328822.jpg

Maybe that isn't because of slavery but because of the oppression that followed slavery. Ever think what it would be like if we were all actually treated equally from the start? If blacks had nothing to complain about the white man and the white man had nothing to complain about the black man. If blacks were allow from the start to go anywhere they wanted with no one bothering them? If they were allowed to attend the schools they wanted? If they could work whatever job they were qualified for for the same pay? These are thing that make me go hmmmmm.

Absolutely correct.

Slavery did likely very little to affect blacks, good or bad. Blacks are ridiculous no matter where they are, what they're doing or what conditions they're under.

At any rate, black literature, black music, and more interesting sports events do not begin to compensate for the cost of black crime and the expensive criminal justice system that is necessary to control black crime.

Indeed.

The cost of life with blacks is higher than just crime. It bleeds into every area of life: welfare, taxes, incompetence in business, lawsuits, educational failures, you name it. Whites pay a high price for the privilege of living with the black race.

So they're (blacks, I mean) not to blame for bringing that about. OK. Then it's up to whites to put things right but engineering a slow, rational process for separation.

Until that starts, the bitching won't stop.

Last edited:
Blacks are ridiculous no matter where they are, what they're doing or what conditions they're under.

You are a pathetic fucking coward no matter where you are, what you are doing, or what conditions you are under.

Then it's up to whites to put things right but engineering a slow, rational process for separation.

Oh look, it's THE ONE AND ONLY THING YOU'VE EVER HAD TO SAY HERE - EVER. What is that, 5,000,000,000,000,000,000 times you've repeated the same asinine "separate the races!" line? Are you a mentally challenged parrot who was only ever taught to say, "Squack! Separate the races! Squack! Separate the races! Squack! joycy want a cracker! Squack!"?

Maybe that isn't because of slavery but because of the oppression that followed slavery. Ever think what it would be like if we were all actually treated equally from the start? If blacks had nothing to complain about the white man and the white man had nothing to complain about the black man. If blacks were allow from the start to go anywhere they wanted with no one bothering them? If they were allowed to attend the schools they wanted? If they could work whatever job they were qualified for for the same pay? These are thing that make me go hmmmmm.

If whites were responsible for black social pathology and inferior academic performance one would think that somewhere in the world there would be an example of a black run country that compares well with countries dominated by whites or Orientals. That country does not exist.

Look at what over two centuries of black rule have done to Haiti.

Compare what Zimbabwe is with what Rhodesia was.

Last edited:
Try again in English, moron.

I am a better speller than...

Stop right there. There is no way to end that sentence that isn't wrong. You're an idiot. Do yourself a favor and shut the fuck up.

Do the US Message Board a favor and either stop posting, or demonstrate that I am mistaken. If I am mistaken, it should be easy to prove it. Demonstrate that since the civil rights movement in the United States black rates of crime and illegitimacy have declined. Describe how No Child Left Behind has bridged the race gap. Explain how well countries in Sub Saharan have done since they became independent.

New Topics

Forum List

Back