six-toed cats in Florida

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
Key West to be exact:

Cat fight pits government against Hemingway museum - TODAY Travel
The 11th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on Friday ruled that the government does have the power to regulate the dozens of cats that live at the Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum in Key West, Fla. — a notion the attraction has fought for years.

Some 250,000 visitors flock to the site each year to experience the house where the famed American writer lived from 1931 to 1938 and see the polydactyl (six-toed) felines whose company he enjoyed.

When he lived in the house, Hemingway — a famous cat lover — cared for a white polydactyl cat named Snowball that was given to him by a ship’s captain.

I toured that place @ 30 yrs ago. I remember a pool, a safe, and nice breezes.

Last edited:
Key West to be exact:

The 11th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on Friday ruled that the government does have the power to regulate the dozens of cats that live at the Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum in Key West, Fla. — a notion the attraction has fought for years.

Some 250,000 visitors flock to the site each year to experience the house where the famed American writer lived from 1931 to 1938 and see the polydactyl (six-toed) felines whose company he enjoyed.

It's still nice and still busy. I got to go up in to loft area where Papa wrote.

I hope they don't reduce the cats by much - seeing so many lounging around outside is part of the charm.

Regards from Rosie

I forgot, technically its a cat fight ;)

Key West to be exact:

Papa rules! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

leave his cats alone!

ErnestHemingway.jpg

It's humane to spay and neuter a bunch of these cats. Do they do that there?

Today, approximately 60 cats, half of them polydactyl (six toed) make their home in the Ernest Hemingway Museum and Home, in Key West, protected by the terms of his will
Routine procedures such as ear mite treatment, flea spraying, and worming are performed here at the museum by our Veterinarian, Dr. Edie Clark. Dr Clark also administers annual vaccinations, and performs routine animal health maintenance.

Who you do you think you are Arthur??? Better than Hemingway? You righteous so and so?

Here Papa with his children Gregory and Patrick from second wife Pauline ...and his beautiful six toe cats

hemingway-house-in-florida.jpg

I still have a big problem with you!

So what if the cats have 6 or 7 or 8 toes ..... what is your problem? spray ok ...but you seem bent on making them dissapear from this earth! they are not different from other cats!

also

they were an inspiration to Ernest Hemingway.. the best writer of the 20th century :D

tumblr_m07u6qjfos1rqiz2x.jpg

i had three missions in key west... foremost, the mel fish museum, Henrietta's Coconut Strips and visiting the 6 toed cats...

:tongue:

Today, approximately 60 cats, half of them polydactyl (six toed) make their home in the Ernest Hemingway Museum and Home, in Key West, protected by the terms of his will
Routine procedures such as ear mite treatment, flea spraying, and worming are performed here at the museum by our Veterinarian, Dr. Edie Clark. Dr Clark also administers annual vaccinations, and performs routine animal health maintenance.

Who you do you think you are Arthur??? Better than Hemingway? You righteous so and so?

Here Papa with his children Gregory and Patrick from second wife Pauline ...and his beautiful six toe cats

Who do I think I am? Nobody special. I just think that a feral cat population should be controlled by a spay and neuter program.

Who do I think I am? Nobody special. I just think that a feral cat population should be controlled by a spay and neuter program.

I was wondering the same thing. Are the cats feral or tame? Also, how are there only 60 cats ... wouldn't they just continue to reproduce endlessly? And wouldn't they continue to inbreed thus creating mutant cats?

Meow.

they aren't a feral cat population. They live at and are cared for by museum.

my understanding of it when i was there.... some of them are spayed and neutered. If they completely spay and neuter the population.... it will disappear. That is not what they want.

I was wondering the same thing. Are the cats feral or tame? Also, how are there only 60 cats ... wouldn't they just continue to reproduce endlessly? And wouldn't they continue to inbreed thus creating mutant cats?

Meow.

very very tame spoiled cats!

I will post this comment written about the topic of Hemingway's cats. I think the person who wrote it is absolutely correct! :eusa_clap:

"Having visited Hemingway's house and seen the cats first hand, I can testify that these cats are very well taken care of, pampered and treated with love and respect by the residents in Key West. They truly are celebrities in their own right. This is another example of intrusive government regulation fueled by an idiot's complaint. One would think that the beaurocrats involved in this would have better things to do with their time and our tax dollars."

by his Master's typewriter :D

6a00d8341c630a53ef0134897dc7ab970c-800wi.jpg

Last edited:
Clearly a cased of blind administration of the law. "USDA inspectors showed up in Key West. They said that if the museum wanted to display cats it needed an exhibitor’s license as required under the federal Animal Welfare Act. (That’s the same law that regulates circuses, zoos, and traveling dog and pony shows.)

Federal officials advised the museum that it also needed to take action to: Confine the cats in individual cages each night, or construct a higher fence around the property, or install an electric wire atop the existing brick wall, or hire a night watchman to keep an eye on the cats."

How Ernest Hemingway's cats became a federal case (+video) - CSMonitor.com

20070319-ernest_hemingway_and_cat.jpg

The Cats at Key West's Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcnLwvL3r4&feature=player_embedded]The Cats at Key West's Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum - YouTube[/ame]

funny thing is... i dont remember the house well at all. I remember the yard and the cats.

Forum List

Back