Six months suspension for cop who roughed up student.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
One of the truths that I live my life by is a simple one. Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity. So when I read that a cop was arrested for DUI, I assume stupidity the same for everyone else. When I read that a cop is caught lying, then I am less inclined to attribute that to stupidity. A lie is a choice, and that choice is followed through by continuing the lie.

In the case I am writing about now, Malice is the only choice one is left with. Six-month suspension for Lowell cop who roughed up handcuffed teen

The cop David Pender, a sixteen year veteran Police Officer made a conscious choice. He suspected the boy of having marijuana. Pender ordered the classroom cleared, so there would be no witnesses. Then he roughed the boy up. That is a conscious choice. That is malice. The District Attorney decided not to press charges. A travesty, but certainly not the only one in the protective society actions towards police.

His punishment is six months of suspension, a state of sort of probation for two years. If he violates any more police policies during that period, then he's fired. Then he's fired. The City Manager says he's a good judge of people. The City Manager says he knows Pender is sorry.

Sorry he got caught, perhaps. Malice explains this, stupidity can't explain it.

Forum List

Back