sitarro-be-damned; I got new Cheater-Toys :)

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I hope you can take some ribbing, sitarro. :)

• Telephoto EF 300mm f/4.0L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
  • Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Autofocus Lens
  • Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Quick Release -
  • Manfrotto 676B Digi Monopod (Black) - Supports 10 lb (4.5 kg)
  • E-704 GDC Lens Sleeve Kit - for Kata E702 Elements Cover with Extra Long Lenses
  • E-702 GDC Elements Cover - for Pro Digital or Photo SLR Cameras
  • EW-83J Lens Hood for Canon EF 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

2nd Day Air - guy says I'll have it Friday evening...UNLESS/UNTIL UPS Screws up.

• Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Quick Release -Supports 6 lb - 3/8"-16 mount
  • Manfrotto 676B Digi Monopod (Black) - Supports 10 lb (4.5 kg) 1/4"-20 mount

A 20D + BGE2 + 2 BP-511 + 300 f/4 IS weighs a bit over 5#s. Cutting it a bit close with that head.

Also appears that you're going to need an adapter to go from the 1/4"-20 threads on the monopod to the 3/8"-16 threads on the head.

BTW, why not just use the pistol grip head you have now?

Finally! Now you can take some good pictures. :gang1:

:tng:

• Telephoto EF 300mm f/4.0L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
  • Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Autofocus Lens
  • Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Quick Release -
  • Manfrotto 676B Digi Monopod (Black) - Supports 10 lb (4.5 kg)
  • E-704 GDC Lens Sleeve Kit - for Kata E702 Elements Cover with Extra Long Lenses
  • E-702 GDC Elements Cover - for Pro Digital or Photo SLR Cameras
  • EW-83J Lens Hood for Canon EF 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

2nd Day Air - guy says I'll have it Friday evening...UNLESS/UNTIL UPS Screws up.

Of course I can take ribbing, I'm no primadonna..... can you take some ribbing?

Good for you, keep collecting equipment. And never ever support your local photography stores, just use them to look at all of the toys and get advice then order from Pakistanis in New York to save a few bucks. Then you will have a chance to bitch about the length of time it takes for those slackers at UPS to get the much needed stuff.
There's nothing quite like tons of equipment to carry around, it makes it so much more enjoyable to get to where the great photography is. You might want to invest in an off road Segway with a custom Canon trailer next. Be sure and snap some shots of it with some really nice landscape in the background. I can't wait to see them. :laugh: :laugh:

Seriosly though....I really don't get the showing of photos of the kids on the internet....not with all of the John Mark Karrs in the world. I wouldn't do it and I don't even have kids. I know you're proud of them but be careful.

Here is a sight to look at some really, really good work in my opinion, take a look.
http://www.nikonia.com/

A 20D + BGE2 + 2 BP-511 + 300 f/4 IS weighs a bit over 5#s. Cutting it a bit close with that head.

Also appears that you're going to need an adapter to go from the 1/4"-20 threads on the monopod to the 3/8"-16 threads on the head.

BTW, why not just use the pistol grip head you have now?

Finally! Now you can take some good pictures. :gang1:

:tng:

I knew I was cutting it close w/ that head - figured I'd buy it to see if I could use it for other-than-300 shooting. I'll figure out the threads when I get the thing, I suppose. Or sell it on FM for 99% of retail. :)

Of course I can take ribbing, I'm no primadonna..... can you take some ribbing?

Good for you, keep collecting equipment. And never ever support your local photography stores, just use them to look at all of the toys and get advice then order from Pakistanis in New York to save a few bucks. Then you will have a chance to bitch about the length of time it takes for those slackers at UPS to get the much needed stuff.
There's nothing quite like tons of equipment to carry around, it makes it so much more enjoyable to get to where the great photography is. You might want to invest in an off road Segway with a custom Canon trailer next. Be sure and snap some shots of it with some really nice landscape in the background. I can't wait to see them. :laugh: :laugh:

Seriosly though....I really don't get the showing of photos of the kids on the internet....not with all of the John Mark Karrs in the world. I wouldn't do it and I don't even have kids. I know you're proud of them but be careful.

Here is a sight to look at some really, really good work in my opinion, take a look.

It's funny - when you call it 'ribbing' it sounds ONLY like spitefull ranting.

... And never ever support your local photography stores, just use them to look at all of the toys and get advice then order from Pakistanis in New York to save a few bucks. Then you will have a chance to bitch about the length of time it takes for those slackers at UPS to get the much needed stuff.

I can't speak for D, but I don't even bother visiting the local photography stores any longer. They don't stock even 1% of the equipment that's available and they can't offer 1% of the advice that is available freely on the 'net.

I tried to buy from a local photo store when I made my last purchase. I saved almost $1K by buying from B&H. That's a bit more than a few bucks.

In short, if the local photo stores wither and die, it'll be their own doing.

another btw - When local-shops price-match - or even TRY to price match, i'd consider finding one. One of our 'larger' stores prices things so that I'd have paid more than $475 MORE after tax.

I can't speak for D, but I don't even bother visiting the local photography stores any longer. They don't stock even 1% of the equipment that's available and they can't offer 1% of the advice that is available freely on the 'net.

I tried to buy from a local photo store when I made my last purchase. I saved almost $1K by buying from B&H. That's a bit more than a few bucks.

In short, if the local photo stores wither and die, it'll be their own doing.

I worked at an art supply store years ago. This was an amazing place, they stocked every manufacturers paints, brushes, canvases, easels, tables and a huge book store. We had 50 employees, many were artists themselves. We also had a very large amount of backstock that the store paid tremedous amounts of inventory tax on. We also worked on commision to make up for mediocre pay.

Art teachers would come in and I would spend hours showing them a variety of things that they were interested in. I was the airbrush repair person and was always called on to explain airbrushes and the differences between them. On my days off I would even go to talk to school art classes about airbrushes.

After spending 3 hours with a teacher a month before, she came in to tell me that she had saved 20 dollars on an airbrush(I had spent at least an hour educating her on it)by ordering it out of a catalog from Daniel Smiths in Seattle. Boy was I thrilled for her. I thought I should try to explain how as a taxpayer I had a problem with her taking my state tax dollars and sending them to another state, that when looking at the big picture it was not a good thing at all. It is rare that catalog companies have anywhere near the overhead of the local store, the state and city also loses out on tax. When the store eventually closes and you are stuck ordering out of a catalog you tend to be shopping blind.

Art supplies are one thing but photography equipment is something that needs hands on touch to make a correct decision. If I wouldn't have had a real Nikon to hold onto and feel how perfectly it fit in my hands compared to a Pentax which I had been using I might have been sucked into equipment that was capable but was very uncomfortable to use. Minoltas were bulky and poorly made, Olympus was too small for my hands and the Canons were plastic junk. All of this was obvious when compared dollar for dollar and next to each other. The Nikon was so well put together that it seemed like I could hammer nails with it...... It still feels new thousands of images later and 25 years old. The stores that I go to not only stock the cameras I want to hold and try out, I can try different lenses before buying also. The stores will also let you bring your own cards to shoot a few shots if you want and by bringing my powerbook I can see what kind of download speed and ease I will be working with. I read articles on different equipment but those don't work for truely informed decisions. I wouldn't buy a gun without holding it in my hand either.

As a sales person at the art store I had permission to lower the price 10 percent without going to the owner. If armed with pricing from the catalog and the right attitude I have often had store owners drop the price as much as 30 percent to keep from losing the sale. The cost is always higher but I feel better in the long run about large expenditures locally. I also wouldn't buy a car out of a catalog either no matter how much I save..... just me, you guys should do what ever you can live with.

I worked at an art supply store years ago. This was an amazing place, they stocked every manufacturers paints, brushes, canvases, easels, tables and a huge book store. We had 50 employees, many were artists themselves. We also had a very large amount of backstock that the store paid tremedous amounts of inventory tax on. We also worked on commision to make up for mediocre pay.

Art teachers would come in and I would spend hours showing them a variety of things that they were interested in. I was the airbrush repair person and was always called on to explain airbrushes and the differences between them. On my days off I would even go to talk to school art classes about airbrushes.

After spending 3 hours with a teacher a month before, she came in to tell me that she had saved 20 dollars on an airbrush(I had spent at least an hour educating her on it)by ordering it out of a catalog from Daniel Smiths in Seattle. Boy was I thrilled for her. I thought I should try to explain how as a taxpayer I had a problem with her taking my state tax dollars and sending them to another state, that when looking at the big picture it was not a good thing at all. It is rare that catalog companies have anywhere near the overhead of the local store, the state and city also loses out on tax. When the store eventually closes and you are stuck ordering out of a catalog you tend to be shopping blind.

Art supplies are one thing but photography equipment is something that needs hands on touch to make a correct decision. If I wouldn't have had a real Nikon to hold onto and feel how perfectly it fit in my hands compared to a Pentax which I had been using I might have been sucked into equipment that was capable but was very uncomfortable to use. Minoltas were bulky and poorly made, Olympus was too small for my hands and the Canons were plastic junk. All of this was obvious when compared dollar for dollar and next to each other. The Nikon was so well put together that it seemed like I could hammer nails with it...... It still feels new thousands of images later and 25 years old. The stores that I go to not only stock the cameras I want to hold and try out, I can try different lenses before buying also. The stores will also let you bring your own cards to shoot a few shots if you want and by bringing my powerbook I can see what kind of download speed and ease I will be working with. I read articles on different equipment but those don't work for truely informed decisions. I wouldn't buy a gun without holding it in my hand either.

As a sales person at the art store I had permission to lower the price 10 percent without going to the owner. If armed with pricing from the catalog and the right attitude I have often had store owners drop the price as much as 30 percent to keep from losing the sale. The cost is always higher but I feel better in the long run about large expenditures locally. I also wouldn't buy a car out of a catalog either no matter how much I save..... just me, you guys should do what ever you can live with.

I can appreciate that. Unfortunately, I gave two local shops the chance to match or even come close to matching B&H's price. They wouldn't budge or negotiate at all. ~$1K is a non-trivial amount, so I bought from a 'catalog' store.

The beauty of B&H (and some others) is that you can try the equipment out before you commit to it. You have 14 days to return anything that isn't up to your standards.

I think I understand where you're coming from now re: Canon vs. Nikon. 25 years ago it was a no brainer, Canon simply wasn't in the same league. Today, the decision is much more difficult. Both companies make great equipment. Each has their strong/weak points and you have to decide which features are most important to you.

BTW, check your PMs. ;)

Forum List

Back