Sir Mick Jagger has fired back at Sir Paul McCartney's recent comment about The Rolling Stones being "a blues cover band."

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015

from the media:

During the Stones' concert Thursday night at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, Jagger took a few moments between songs to deliver a comedic list of celebrities supposedly in attendance at the concert.

"There’s so many celebrities here tonight, of course, you know, naturally," Jagger said stalking the stage. "Megan Fox is here. She’s lovely. Leonardo DiCaprio. Lady Gaga." Then he mentioned Kirk Douglas, who passed away in February 2020 and said he must have "misread that one."

Jagger then said, "Paul McCartney is here. He’s going to join us in a blues cover later on."

FBtT8wSXMBcBhmQ

from the media:

During the Stones' concert Thursday night at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, Jagger took a few moments between songs to deliver a comedic list of celebrities supposedly in attendance at the concert.

"There’s so many celebrities here tonight, of course, you know, naturally," Jagger said stalking the stage. "Megan Fox is here. She’s lovely. Leonardo DiCaprio. Lady Gaga." Then he mentioned Kirk Douglas, who passed away in February 2020 and said he must have "misread that one."

Jagger then said, "Paul McCartney is here. He’s going to join us in a blues cover later on."

FBtT8wSXMBcBhmQ
Cute. Humorous; no problem here.

We just watched Hard Day's Night. Migod, people were so young then. We'll probably watch a couple more. We also just watched Roustabout, the Elvis movie about a circus. Usual thing: he's rowdy and rebellious, finds a girl ------- and surprise, surprise, sings some songs.

The songs really were great. In both movies.

Last edited:
Sloppy rock is what I've always called the Stones...the ultimate garage band....

Early days of the Rolling Stones, they were a blues cover band.

How could you say they weren't?

They eventually came up with their own songs, but the songs were heavily influenced by blues.

Early days of the Rolling Stones, they were a blues cover band.

How could you say they weren't?

They eventually came up with their own songs, but the songs were heavily influenced by blues.
Yep. Same goes for Led Zeppelin. I wonder how much Muddy Waters's and Willy Dixon's families got for their ripoffs?

from the media:

FBtT8wSXMBcBhmQ
So since they're both knights they can settle this with a joust.

Cute. Humorous; no problem here.

We just watched Hard Day's Night. Migod, people were so young then. We'll probably watch a couple more. We also just watched Roustabout, the Elvis movie about a circus. Usual thing: he's rowdy and rebellious, finds a girl ------- and surprise, surprise, sings some songs.

The songs really were great. In both movies.

from the media:

FBtT8wSXMBcBhmQ
This is what mccartney said the pissed jagger off, and rightfully so:

“ What Jagger was alluding to was a new profile of McCartney in the New Yorker magazine, in which the ex-Beatle told editor David Remnick: “I’m not sure I should say it, but they’re a blues cover band, that’s sort of what the Stones are. … I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs.”:

Now THATS snarky

For the record I think the Stones and the Beatles were equally great but in different ways

Strictly in the context of rock and roll they were the greatest in the greatest era from 1960 to 1980 and will both be remembered 100 years from now if humans can keep it together that long

This is what mccartney said the pissed jagger off, and rightfully so:

“ What Jagger was alluding to was a new profile of McCartney in the New Yorker magazine, in which the ex-Beatle told editor David Remnick: “I’m not sure I should say it, but they’re a blues cover band, that’s sort of what the Stones are. … I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs.”:

Now THATS snarky

For the record I think the Stones and the Beatles were equally great but in different ways

Strictly in the context of rock and roll they were the greatest in the greatest era from 1960 to 1980 and will both be remembered 100 years from now if humans can keep it together that long
Then he never listened to Beggars Banquet, or Sticky Fingers.

This is typical Paul. More than anyone in the Beatles, he believed his own press. So what you get is a guy that makes derivative music "in the style of ____", then believes he revolutionized music.

In this song Jagger reveals that he is educated in history

Modern 18 year old refugees from the public school system can still relate to this song for its beat

But I doubt if many know or care what he’s singing about

In this song Jagger reveals that he is educated in history

Modern 18 year old refugees from the public school system can still relate to this song for its beat

But I doubt if many know or care what he’s singing about
He was a student at the London School of economics and wanted to be either a journalist or a politician.

Forum List

Back