Significance of 6/1

If you lose the election. Can you try to get people to ignore the result, even when losing in court?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

forkup

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2016
I've seen a lot of people on this board, including me putting their 2 cents in on what happened on 6/1. A few days ago I came to a bit of a weird realization for myself.

I came to realise that by focusing on the very visible, spectacular and tragic events, the true meaning of what occured has been missed.

In my opinion it's not all that important if 6/1 was a coup, insurgency, riot, demonstration or picnic. In fact 6/1 is not the most important thing that should be remembered.

What should be remembered is the precedent set by Trump. For the first time in the history of the US, the losing candidate of a presidential campaign didn't just fail to concede he lost, but actively tried to get those of his party to ignore those results and try to get power that way.

He tried to get the Georgia Secretary of State to "find him votes". He tried state assemblies to designate electors with the express purpose of getting them to elect him and not the winner of the certified election results. He tried to get his own VP to refuse to certify the results and tried to get the house and senate to do the same.

This bears repeating. Trump tried in almost every way to get him and not the winner of the election to take power.

II know that many of you believe the election was fraudulent. I obviously don't agree. I want you to realise though that if you support the precedent that as long as you claim the election was fraudulent the loser of an election can take steps to ignore those results other than actually making your case in court, the US will no longer be a functioning Democracy.

Meh. He tried to challenge the election through legal means. Went a little overboard with the Pence ordeal but he is a complete moron. So that is to be expected.
People try to make mountains out of mole hills. Happens all the time.

What happened on June 1st?
Does it have anything to do with what happened during the elections? I'm not all that interested in whataboutisms. Please answer the premise or don't respond at all. Thank you.
Well, since you've gotten mildly snooty with me, permit me to set you straight on a couple of points.

First, don't tell me what to do. You're just not that guy.

Second, I didn't offer any "whataboutisms", so it's stupid for you to even bring it up.

Lastly, here in the States, when we express a date with only numbers, generally speaking the month comes first, then the date, then the year.

Kinda like this; June 1 of this year would be expressed as "6/1/21" or "6/1/2021".

Now, I don't know where in the world you are, but understand that this forum is predominantly American. So, when you go writing "What happened on 6/1?", people are going to start looking at June on their calendar.

You may go now...

Does it have anything to do with what happened during the elections? I'm not all that interested in whataboutisms. Please answer the premise or don't respond at all. Thank you.
Well, since you've gotten mildly snooty with me, permit me to set you straight on a couple of points.

Second, I didn't offer any "whataboutisms", so it's stupid for you to even bring it up.

Lastly, here in the States, when we express a date with only numbers, generally speaking the month comes first, then the date, then the year.

Kinda like this; June 1 of this year would be expressed as "6/1/21" or "6/1/2021".

Now, I don't know where in the world you are, but understand that this forum is predominantly American. So, when you go writing "What happened on 6/1?", people are going to start looking at June on their calendar.

You may go now...
1624543247244.png

I've seen a lot of people on this board, including me putting their 2 cents in on what happened on 6/1. A few days ago I came to a bit of a weird realization for myself.

I came to realise that by focusing on the very visible, spectacular and tragic events, the true meaning of what occured has been missed.

In my opinion it's not all that important if 6/1 was a coup, insurgency, riot, demonstration or picnic. In fact 6/1 is not the most important thing that should be remembered.

What should be remembered is the precedent set by Trump. For the first time in the history of the US, the losing candidate of a presidential campaign didn't just fail to concede he lost, but actively tried to get those of his party to ignore those results and try to get power that way.

He tried to get the Georgia Secretary of State to "find him votes". He tried state assemblies to designate electors with the express purpose of getting them to elect him and not the winner of the certified election results. He tried to get his own VP to refuse to certify the results and tried to get the house and senate to do the same.

This bears repeating. Trump tried in almost every way to get him and not the winner of the election to take power.

II know that many of you believe the election was fraudulent. I obviously don't agree. I want you to realise though that if you support the precedent that as long as you claim the election was fraudulent the loser of an election can take steps to ignore those results other than actually making your case in court, the US will no longer be a functioning Democracy.
This is why we call it an insurrection or coup.

tRump and his loyal tRumplings tried to circumvent our democracy and install a dictator. Everyone who participated belongs in jail. From tRump to his supporters in congress to the RWNJ media that spread the conspiracy theories to the lowliest bottle throwing capitol rioter. And I'm not forgetting that Facebook and others refused to do anything about this incitement to violence until it was too late either. Nail them all to the wall.

You foreign trolls need to at least learn how we notate dates in the US. It's month then day, not the other way around like you do in Russia. Back to Moscow with you, Ivan.

Meh. He tried to challenge the election through legal means. Went a little overboard with the Pence ordeal but he is a complete moron. So that is to be expected.
I think the things he was asking other people to do often weren’t legal.

Like what he asked of Pence.

I think it is a big deal. Not death if the nation big but bad enough that we are noticeably worse off because of it.

I think it is a big deal. Not death if the nation big but bad enough that we are noticeably worse off because of it.
I think the Pence ordeal is debatable. But the rest was perfectly legal.

I don’t think the Pence ordeal is debatable. There’s zero legal rationale for it.

What he was telling Raffensperger to do also wasn’t legal. You can’t just throw out votes because you feel like it.

I don’t think the Pence ordeal is debatable. There’s zero legal rationale for it.

What he was telling Raffensperger to do also wasn’t legal. You can’t just throw out votes because you feel like it.
I think it is. Thats why legal scholars all over the country were torn about it.
Context matters. You cant pick one sentence out of a conversation and run with it.

I think it is. Thats why legal scholars all over the country were torn about it.
Context matters. You cant pick one sentence out of a conversation and run with it.
“Legal scholars” baloney. Allowing Pence to pick and chose electors would be chaos.

I listened to the entire hour long conversation with Raffensperger. It was an hour of asking him to do things which weren’t legal.

“Legal scholars” baloney. Allowing Pence to pick and chose electors would be chaos.

I listened to the entire hour long conversation with Raffensperger. It was an hour of asking him to do things which weren’t legal.
Chaos, sure. But that isnt what we are discussing.
What was illegal that he said do?

You may go now...
Well since you got really snooty with me, permit me to set you straight on a couple of things.

Firstly, I didn't TELL you what to do. I asked you what to do. English might simply be my fourth language but I'm pretty sure that the words please and thank you signify me ASKING you to do something.

Secondly, I always appreciate being corrected and you are of course right. On the other hand, I personally consider it good manners when replying to someone in a place like this to not make a conscious effort to derail the OP. Something which you did, by not making any contribution to the premise besides pointing me to my inadequacy in keeping all aspects of the English language straight.

Now, I will not tell you to go now. I will ask you to do so.

You may go now...
Well since you got really snooty with me, permit me to set you straight on a couple of things.

Firstly, I didn't TELL you what to do. I asked you what to do. English might simply be my fourth language but I'm pretty sure that the words please and thank you signify me ASKING you to do something.

Secondly, I always appreciate being corrected and you are of course right. On the other hand, I personally consider it good manners when replying to someone in a place like this to not make a conscious effort to derail the OP. Something which you did, by not making any contribution to the premise besides pointing me to my inadequacy in keeping all aspects of the English language straight.

Now, I will not tell you to go now. I will ask you to do so.
Oh.

Request denied...

The Georgia District attorney's office seems to disagree. Prosecutors in Georgia open criminal investigation into Trump's attempt to influence election results

By the way, are you saying that legality is the only determination of how the loser of an election should act?

The reason I ask is that this would make a whole lot of actions by the sitting president who has tremendous power acceptable. Declaring martial law, getting the DOJ to declare the opposing party a terrorist organization, etc., etc.

Legality can be stretched REALLY far when it comes to the president especially if congress isn't interested in holding him accountable.

So you think all this would be acceptable providing you can furnish some dubious legality?

Forum List

Back