Legendary actor Sidney Poitier, the first Black man to win Best Actor Oscar, dies aged 94

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
i learned it from Roland Martin's instagram, where he wrote:

BREAKING NEWS: A top official in the Bahamas has confirmed to me that legendary actor Sidney Poitier has passed away at the age of 94. After Bahamas news outlet, Eyewitness News Bahamas, reported his passing and attributing it to Foreign Minister Fred Mitchell, I called him and he said: "I just talked to Bahamian Minister of Foreign Affairs Fred Mitchell regarding the passing of actor Sidney Poitier. "I understand from a family member that he passed away last night. We will be issuing a statement shortly." He was on hold for the Prime Minister and said he would call me back

Last edited:
Sad to hear

He was a great actor and a groundbreaking performer
He played black roles that were not Uncle Toms, butlers, laborers and comic sidekicks

He was great in “In the Heat of the Night”

• Banned
I’ll never forget Nelson Mandela speaking of how watching Sidney Poitier on television while he was in prison gave him so much hope. Mandela learned that the prison edited out the scene in “In the Heat of the Night” where Poitier slaps a white man. ⁣

And when he learned that Black men in America were slapping white men in movies, as funny as it sounds, Mandela said he knew things were changing. ⁣

i learned it from Roland Martin's instagram, where he wrote:

BREAKING NEWS: A top official in the Bahamas has confirmed to me that legendary actor Sidney Poitier has passed away at the age of 94. After Bahamas news outlet, Eyewitness News Bahamas, reported his passing and attributing it to Foreign Minister Fred Mitchell, I called him and he said: "I just talked to Bahamian Minister of Foreign Affairs Fred Mitchell regarding the passing of actor Sidney Poitier. "I understand from a family member that he passed away last night. We will be issuing a statement shortly." He was on hold for the Prime Minister and said he would call me back

Great actor, greater man....

Yes.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

As other contributors to this thread have said or implied, he was very fortunate to live until such an advanced age.

He did indeed break many barriers in the motion picture industry.

From everything that I have read, he truly deserved being called a gentleman.

“You don’t have to become something you’re not to be better than you were.” - Sidney Poitier

Last edited:
How do you get to become "legendary"? I think his best role was "In the Heat of the Night". After that he tried to revive the same character in another movie but it didn't work.

One of my favorite pics of him...standing in front of the Apollo....Harlem USA

FIgeFuuXMA0ZsMj.jpg

How do you get to become "legendary"? I think his best role was "In the Heat of the Night". After that he tried to revive the same character in another movie but it didn't work.
Luckily, that decision of who is considered legendary or not isn't left up to you.....

Roland Martin writes:

Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier made some of the funnest movies in the 70s, Let's Do It Again and Uptown Saturday Night, which Poitier both directed. Cosby released this statement through his publicist, Andrew Wyatt: "“He was honored by AFI. And, along with many stars of stage and screen politics and higher education who came out to speak, I brought with me the paperback of his autobiography and I said of all groundbreaking movies that Sidney starred in this book is the real story of this man and his journey. I am honored to have been close enough to him and work and work on serious matters."

NY Post calls him a legend, which he is. i'll take their word over yours

Still my favorite closing credits scene for a movie ever.........

A Piece Of The Action ...one of my childhood favorites.....

Forum List

Back