Showtime Series Yellowjackets

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
The first season ended with last night's episode, episode ten. It has been renewed for another season already.

The plot of the show is that a girls high school soccer team is on their way to the nationals when their plane from New Jersey to Seattle crashes en route in a remote wilderness. The show alternately flashes forward to present day and back to the time of the crash (the crash was set in 1996 and the present day is 2021). It stars Juliet Lewis, Mira Sorvino, Tawny Cypress, and Melanie Lanskey (sp?) who is best known for playing Charlie, Alan and Jake's nosy neighbor Rose on Two and a Half Men.

I like the unusual plots and this certainly delivers in that area. It certainly explores the dynamic of female teen friendships and rivalries. As well as what happens when the structure of the school is peeled away (being a straight A student gets you nowhere in the wilderness). Juliet Lewis is, as always, money and is a recovering drug addict who is completely volatile; destroying property, steeling firearms, and relapsing into the destructive behaviors. Mira Sorvino is creepy as fuck. Tawny Cypress has a secret that may give Sorvio's character a run for her money. And Lanskey might just be the dirtiest player in the game.

One failure for me is that the series is, so far, behind the pace I would have liked to have seen. I won't spoil it but there is a "flash forward" in the opening scene of the first episode (not to 2021 but several weeks post plane crash) where something shocking is revealed. At the end of the first season--last night's episode, the story still hasn't caught up to the shocking development so you're in the odd position of knowing more than the characters on the screen while, at the same time, having this other narrative where they flash forward to present day.

One of Showtime's better efforts as of late. I wouldn't put it in the same league as the first seasons of Homeland but it's good TV.

I'll see if I have it on one of my streaming channels

Forum List

Back