shouldnt you be allowed to hurt people's feelings?

I believe that you should have the right to hurt someone's feelings if you wish, and that person whose feelings you hurt should have the right to punch you in the face if they so wish.

Yes, and if the person dies as a result your punching him in the face you'll do 20 yrs in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

You've given him 20 yrs of rent free space in your head while you sit in a cell rotting.

Resorting to violence is never the right answer. Ever.

If someone insults you and it troubles you that much do not speak to the person again unless they apologise. If it is a stranger - what does it matter?! Ignore them.

- Jeri

I know that violence is never the answer, but seriously. You want to attend a funeral and have those sick fucks from the WBC in your face, insulting your loved one, and the law protects them and not you?
You should be able to smack the shit out of those people, because insulting a deceased relative is the most sickening thing anyone could do.

It's tough defending morons like the Westboros. BUt that's what a democracy does. We defend the right of people to be obnoxious and offensive because if we don't then someone will find what we do obnoxious and offensive.

Yes, and if the person dies as a result your punching him in the face you'll do 20 yrs in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

You've given him 20 yrs of rent free space in your head while you sit in a cell rotting.

If someone insults you and it troubles you that much do not speak to the person again unless they apologise. If it is a stranger - what does it matter?! Ignore them.

- Jeri

I know that violence is never the answer, but seriously. You want to attend a funeral and have those sick fucks from the WBC in your face, insulting your loved one, and the law protects them and not you?
You should be able to smack the shit out of those people, because insulting a deceased relative is the most sickening thing anyone could do.

It's tough defending morons like the Westboros. BUt that's what a democracy does. We defend the right of people to be obnoxious and offensive because if we don't then someone will find what we do obnoxious and offensive.

And that is exactly why laws on freedom of speech go way too far in the US.

The American way, Noomi, because we legitimize our weird wacks of the far left and the far right to say and generally do what they want, allows the great mainstream to see where they do not want America to go.

It's tough defending morons like the Westboros. But that's what a democracy does. We defend the right of people to be obnoxious and offensive because if we don't then someone will find what we do obnoxious and offensive.

Excuse me? I detest Westboro with an extreme hated and revilement. But that gives us no excuse to limit freedom of speech FOR ANYONE.

It's tough defending morons like the Westboros. But that's what a democracy does. We defend the right of people to be obnoxious and offensive because if we don't then someone will find what we do obnoxious and offensive.

Excuse me? I detest Westboro with an extreme hated and revilement. But that gives us no excuse to limit freedom of speech FOR ANYONE.

So if your mother died, (to use an example) would it be okay for me to turn up at her funeral and yell and scream insults and call her all the names under the sun, knowing that she, nor you, could do anything about it?
Would you really want to stand up for my right to insult your dead relative? Isn't your right to mourn your loved one worth more than my right to insult them?

I believe that you should have the right to hurt someone's feelings if you wish, and that person whose feelings you hurt should have the right to punch you in the face if they so wish.

- Jeri

No right unlimited.

Of course not. If you have been libeled, slandered on a social forum - you can take the person to court. Sure you can. The laws are already on the books for that. If you are found guilty you could do jail tiime, a fine, or both. There have been no new laws passed. - Jeri

Man, you are dumber than ditch water.

What makes you say that?

So if your mother died, (to use an example) would it be okay for me to turn up at her funeral and yell and scream insults and call her all the names under the sun, knowing that she, nor you, could do anything about it?
Would you really want to stand up for my right to insult your dead relative? Isn't your right to mourn your loved one worth more than my right to insult them?

I never knew my mother. Not a very pleasant topic. I would appreciate you not referring to her again. But anyhow.

In theory, if I knew you were coming, I could have a restraining order filed against you. I could hire security, I can take many preventive measures.

HOWEVER:

It is not my place to infringe on the rights of others. Freedom of speech is a universal thing in this country. Yes it would cause me pain, and anger me beyond belief, but they have first amendment rights. Our Supreme Court made that clear a year or so ago.

I have members of my family who fought and died for the rights of others to freely express themselves. Besides, those who have the gumption to desecrate the funerary rites of others have theirs coming.

What I cannot fathom from you is why you are arguing against free speech? Perhaps it's my American upbringing, but...

Last edited:

- Jeri

While I do not disagree with most of what you just wrote, it is not a right to assault or otherwise damage someone you do not agree with. Even though most of us would never support what the WBC does, nor agree with their views, they are still protected under the First Amendment. Once we start defining speech we find offensive as unconstitutional on that basis alone, we have set upon the slippery slope. Who decides what speech is allowed? Like it, or not, we will sometimes have to experience unpleasantness in order to preserve our rights, too.

I would protest to the hilt any attempt to suppress your right to do so.

Up to and including supporting the ACLU's suit to allow Nazis to march through Cicero?

Up to and including supporting the ACLU's suit to allow Nazis to march through Cicero?
Yup. If Nazis cannot march in this country then no one can.

And it was Skokie, not Cicero.

ACLU was the hero (lost tens of thousands of members) in defending the Nazis' right to protest, and once the courts sided with the ACLU, the Nazis claimed victory and wisely did not march. The left's attempt to suppress Tom Tancredo's visits to UNC Chapel Hill were very much in common with Germany's fascist suppression of centrist and left wing demonstrations.

That's right. What's civilization without a few punches in the face now and then? Anyone who doesn't agree is an Al Qaeda-loving Commie. Here's a story about a group that really knows what America's all about!

A whole new definition for kindergarten cops - CNN.com

I never realized how violent some of you people were. Its unsettling to hear people believing violence justifies itself if you've been insulted. That is utterly ridiculous. You'll go to jail for punching someone ( where you'll then be locked in 24/ 7 with the truly violent ) while your tormentor sits outside free as a bird. Smart move? Not at all. Also, you don't know the individuals health issues. If you disturb his health in any way he can sue you for everything you own. Then when you get out of jail you'll be living under a box. Definitely not a smart move.

You don't really GET this forum, do you?!?! :tongue:

First, the ACLU supported Nazis marching? And, yes, as long as they remained well behaved and their march did no harm. Whether you, or I, or anyone else, disagrees with their message, they still have as much right to express that message as you and I have to express ours.

First, the ACLU supported Nazis marching? And, yes, as long as they remained well behaved and their march did no harm. Whether you, or I, or anyone else, disagrees with their message, they still have as much right to express that message as you and I have to express ours.

The Left doesn't get this whole "free speech" thing. Back in the 60s they were the biggest proponents of it. Now, not so much. It's more like, That person is so evil he can never be allowed to speak. Thats why universities frequently see their guest speakers hounded off stage.

The left has not protected free speech as well as its heritage indicates.

Of course many reactionaries would simply not let someone they disagreed with speak with impunity.

It is the speech that is abhorrent that is hard to permit, and as such it stands as a testament to the power of the 1st Amendment.

The left has not protected free speech as well as its heritage indicates.

Of course many reactionaries would simply not let someone they disagreed with speak with impunity.

It is the speech that is abhorrent that is hard to permit, and as such it stands as a testament to the power of the 1st Amendment.

As difficult as many find it to hear and read things they do not...cannot, agree with, those abhorrent utterances are as representative of free speech as all the noble words that pass the lips of saints.

Forum List

Back