shouldnt you be allowed to hurt people's feelings?

actsnoblemartin

I love Andrea & April
Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
since when should we take away people first amendment rights because someone is offended. This applies to muslims and non muslims alike

Yeah, kill the insert group here is inappropriate and not protected but the fact this administration and england cant tell the difference is pathetic :cuckoo:

shouldnt you be allowed to hurt people's feelings?

Not intentionally. They may not not know just how ignorant they are.

since when should we take away people first amendment rights because someone is offended. This applies to muslims and non muslims alike

Yeah, kill the insert group here is inappropriate and not protected but the fact this administration and england cant tell the difference is pathetic :cuckoo:

I agree. We need to amend the amendment such that it is codified that Americans have the God-given right to be assholes.

I believe that you should have the right to hurt someone's feelings if you wish, and that person whose feelings you hurt should have the right to punch you in the face if they so wish.

I believe that you should have the right to hurt someone's feelings if you wish, and that person whose feelings you hurt should have the right to punch you in the face if they so wish.

That's right. What's civilization without a few punches in the face now and then? Anyone who doesn't agree is an Al Qaeda-loving Commie. Here's a story about a group that really knows what America's all about!

A whole new definition for kindergarten cops - CNN.com

Since when should we take away people first amendment rights because someone is offended.

Since forever.

I don't know about the "should" be the since when part has been answered for ya.

Yes, and if the person dies as a result your punching him in the face you'll do 20 yrs in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

You've given him 20 yrs of rent free space in your head while you sit in a cell rotting.

Resorting to violence is never the right answer. Ever.

If someone insults you and it troubles you that much do not speak to the person again unless they apologise. If it is a stranger - what does it matter?! Ignore them.

- Jeri

That's right. What's civilization without a few punches in the face now and then? Anyone who doesn't agree is an Al Qaeda-loving Commie. Here's a story about a group that really knows what America's all about!

I never realized how violent some of you people were. Its unsettling to hear people believing violence justifies itself if you've been insulted. That is utterly ridiculous. You'll go to jail for punching someone ( where you'll then be locked in 24/ 7 with the truly violent ) while your tormentor sits outside free as a bird. Smart move? Not at all. Also, you don't know the individuals health issues. If you disturb his health in any way he can sue you for everything you own. Then when you get out of jail you'll be living under a box. Definitely not a smart move.

-Jeremiah

No. Freedom of speech prevails. Challenge it in court. Is it right to purposely insult someone calling them names - cussing at them and telling them you wish they were dead? No. But it is legal. The laws haven't changed folks. I don't know what everyone is so worried about. This isn't Britain. You have your freedom of speech.

The laws on the books concerning attacks on social forums, personal attacks, smearing someones reputation causing their reputation harm, making false accusation against them personally - if proven in court - could get you jail time and if they bring a civil suit would cost you money. That is the sum of it. It has always been that way as far as I can remember and nothing has changed.

I didn't hear any announcements on news last night about losing our freedom of speech here so I have to say this was someones idea of a bad joke.

If people were being arrested on social forums for insulting others most of this board would behind bars right now. There are no special laws about " Muslims Only " not insulting them. That is Sharia and we don't have Sharia in our constitution. Have a nice day everyone!

- Jeri

Last edited:
No right unlimited.

Of course not. If you have been libeled, slandered on a social forum - you can take the person to court. Sure you can. The laws are already on the books for that. If you are found guilty you could do jail tiime, a fine, or both. There have been no new laws passed. - Jeri

Yes, and if the person dies as a result your punching him in the face you'll do 20 yrs in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

You've given him 20 yrs of rent free space in your head while you sit in a cell rotting.

If someone insults you and it troubles you that much do not speak to the person again unless they apologise. If it is a stranger - what does it matter?! Ignore them.

- Jeri

I never realized how violent some of you people were. Its unsettling to hear people believing violence justifies itself if you've been insulted. That is utterly ridiculous. You'll go to jail for punching someone ( where you'll then be locked in 24/ 7 with the truly violent ) while your tormentor sits outside free as a bird. Smart move? Not at all. Also, you don't know the individuals health issues. If you disturb his health in any way he can sue you for everything you own. Then when you get out of jail you'll be living under a box. Definitely not a smart move.

-Jeremiah

No. Freedom of speech prevails. Challenge it in court. Is it right to purposely insult someone calling them names - cussing at them and telling them you wish they were dead? No. But it is legal. The laws haven't changed folks. I don't know what everyone is so worried about. This isn't Britain. You have your freedom of speech.

The laws on the books concerning attacks on social forums, personal attacks, smearing someones reputation causing their reputation harm, making false accusation against them personally - if proven in court - could get you jail time and if they bring a civil suit would cost you money. That is the sum of it. It has always been that way as far as I can remember and nothing has changed.

I didn't hear any announcements on news last night about losing our freedom of speech here so I have to say this was someones idea of a bad joke.

If people were being arrested on social forums for insulting others most of this board would be bars right now. There are no special laws about " Muslims Only " not insulting them. That is Sharia and we don't have Sharia in our constitution. Have a nice day everyone!

- Jeri

No right unlimited.

Of course not. If you have been libeled, slandered on a social forum - you can take the person to court. Sure you can. The laws are already on the books for that. If you are found guilty you could do jail tiime, a fine, or both. There have been no new laws passed. - Jeri

Man, you are dumber than ditch water.

Since when should we take away people first amendment rights because someone is offended.

Since forever.

I don't know about the "should" be the since when part has been answered for ya.

Only in your beliefs. Someone led you to believe something that isn't true. Our first amendment rights are not allowed to be "infringed upon" in any way, shape or form. To do so is a lawsuit the size of Mt. Rushmore. I'm sure the entire country would be watching that one and if you have the funds lawyer up and go for it.

I'd say do it up REAL big. Like OJ. Make sure every television camera in the city is in that room. You'll be amazed what a right audience will get you. Our government is not immune to consequences so much as you think they are. There is more than one way in. - Jeri

- Jeri

No right unlimited.

Man, you are dumber than ditch water.

According to this thread Obama's men should be around to knock at your door momentarily. Tell them I said your statement was made in ignorance and I do not wish to prosecute! If they don't believe you just print this off and hand it to them. That should do it. LOL! - Jeri

Offending someone through speech is not criminal. That does not mean all speech is non-actionable. Tell your boss to stuff it in his or her ass, and you will be fired. Tell the professor he is a poop head, and you will be barred from the classroom until you publicly apologize. Tell your sergeant she is a dork, and you will be punished.

But no one can be punished for political speech except by the electors.

Last edited:
All speech is legal..until it isn't.

Columbia Law Review
THE FIGHTING WORDS DOCTRINE

In 1942, several years after Atticus Finch was supposed to have imparted the above wisdom to his daughter Scout, the Supreme Court enunciated, for the first time, a theory of the First Amendment explicitly excluding so-called "fighting words" - "those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" 2 - from constitutional protection. Although it had never before dealt directly with the issue, the unanimous Court in Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire 3 announced that the regulation of such language by the state "has never been thought to raise any Constitutional problem." 4

Chaplinsky has generally been read as placing fighting words outside the coverage 5 of the First Amendment on a per se basis. According to this approach, there is a category of "fighting words" that, because of their content, do not constitute speech at all. Therefore, any restriction on such "speech" is constitutionally permissible.

However, the reasoning of the opinion also suggests a more subtle, contextual analysis. Seen in this light, First Amendment coverage extends to even offensive or insulting speech, and such speech is constitutionally protected as long as it does not cause responsive violence by the recipient, despite Chaplinsky's dictum that such speech has little, if any, value. 6

If you are interested in obtaining a lexis.com® ID and Password, please contact us at 1-(800)-227-4908 or visit us at Business Solutions & Software for Legal, Education and Government | LexisNexis.

And who ever can punch the hardest or gets a weapon WINS!

- Jeri

I know that violence is never the answer, but seriously. You want to attend a funeral and have those sick fucks from the WBC in your face, insulting your loved one, and the law protects them and not you?
You should be able to smack the shit out of those people, because insulting a deceased relative is the most sickening thing anyone could do.

Forum List

Back