Should You Be Looking Out For The Welfare Of Health Insurance Companies?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Or, should Health Insurance companies be looking out for the welfare of you?

Why/why not?

First, I'd like to ascertain that you understand the nature of insurance.

Are you referring to the CURRENT way it's setup where it's the insurance company's job to make profit, therefore to NOT pay out on as many claims as they can get away with?

Is that what you're trying to ascertain?

Are you referring to the CURRENT way it's setup where it's the insurance company's job to make profit, therefore to NOT pay out on as many claims as they can get away with?

Is that what you're trying to ascertain?
How about the current setup, where various state gubmints force insurance companies to cover this or that, and customers who demand low rates while expecting insurance to pay for every contact with themselves and someone wearing scrubs?

And if you don’t think Medicaid and Medicare don’t attempt to pay only what they want to...

How about the current setup, where various state gubmints force insurance companies to cover this or that, and customers who demand low rates while expecting insurance to pay for every contact with themselves and someone wearing scrubs?
Hey buttmunch...what's the job of the insurance company, as your brain understands it?

Nope. My question is quite clear.
Well, that's what insurance are, a way for shareholders to make money, at the expense of all those signed up through their company.

What's the way you understand it to be?

Hey buttmunch...what's the job of the insurance company, as your brain understands it?
Hey, dickweed, I can remember when medical insurance was called "hospitalization", denoting its true function: to be prepared for unexpected/unforeseeable medical or trauma expenses...At no time was insurance meant to pay for mundane things like check-ups or recurring expenses like birth control....Nor was it expected that you could go running to the doc with a case of the sniffles, so that you could get a "free" bottle of cough syrup.

If you ignore the user end and simply put all the blame on the providers, you're only telling half the story...But you're a libeoidal, so only getting half (or less) of the story is a given right off the bat.

Hey, dickweed, I can remember when medical insurance was called "hospitalization", denoting its true function: to be prepared for unexpected/unforeseeable medical or trauma expenses...At no time was insurance meant to pay for mundane things like check-ups or recurring expenses like birth control....Nor was it expected that you could go running to the doc with a case of the sniffles, so that you could get a "free" bottle of cough syrup.

If you ignore the user end and simply put all the blame on the providers, you're only telling half the story...But you're a libeoidal, so only getting half (or less) of the story is a given right off the bat.
Uhm...that was that way before Obamacare.

What do you propose be done about it?

Nope. My question is quite clear.
Well, that's what insurance are, a way for shareholders to make money, at the expense of all those signed up through their company.

What's the way you understand it to be?

It is a risk-transfer mechanism in which one party (insured) pays a premium to another party (insurer) to assume the risk in the event of a loss.

It is a risk-transfer mechanism in which one party (insured) pays a premium to another party (insurer) to assume the risk in the event of a loss.
And who benefits the most in this situation?

It depends. For years I paid into insurance and was never sick or hurt. Then boom, I tore my right pectoral. Needed major surgery and four screws still in my right shoulder. I was glad I had insurance then. It is a safety valve. Same as auto insurance. But in the end, yes, insurance is a for profit enterprise.

OP is like AOC herself, no idea how ANYTHING works, but they want to reform EVERYTHING

And who benefits the most in this situation?

The most? Irrelevant.

The insured will be compensated in full or in part, dependent upon the policy agreement.

That the insurer makes a profit for providing this service is to be expected. If an insured has paid a premium for one year of full coverage ($1000) and is later compensated for a total loss on the policy (Limit of liability - say $25,000 as an example), the insurer absorbs the loss but at the same time is covered by the other premiums being paid it. It all balances out in the end.

New Topics

Forum List

Back