Should You Be Able To Shoot Someone Who Pulls Into Your Driveway?

"A Central Texas man has been charged with murder in the driveway shooting of a motorist who had pulled into his driveway. Terry Duane Turner, 65, of Martindale, Texas, turned himself in Friday after an arrest warrant accused him of murdering Adil Dghoughi in the early morning of Oct. 11. Investigators said Turner shot the 31-year-old Moroccan immigrant as the man was backing out of Turner's driveway about 3:40 a.m. -- After the shooting, Turner told a 911 operator that the motorist had pulled a gun on him. Investigators said they found no firearm in the car."

An attorney representing Dghoughi's family, said Dghoughi's windows were closed when he was shot
. "The bullet entered his hand before it entered his head." Turner turned himself in the day after a warrant was issued for his arrest and was released on a $150,000 bond. The almost two-week delay in Turner's arrest by Martindale and Caldwell County authorities drew criticism from Dghoughi's family and supporters, including the Council on American Islamic Relations.

If some strange car pulls into your driveway, why can't you open fire on that car and protect your family?? Especially if this happens after 3 am...and especially when the driver of the car is a Muslim foreigner...possibly with terrorist ties...Anytime you have organizations like CAIR supporting you, chances are you are a terrorist...why would this police department bow to a bunch of Muslim terrorists and issue an arrest warrant?

They are making a big deal of the allegation that the homeowner lied and said the Muslim guy had a gun and that is why he had to shoot him...How do we know he lied?? Yea, there was no gun at the scene; but if the homeowner believed he saw a gun, then he was justified to open fire.....The charges should have never been filed..Caldwell county is a good Conservative county, why are they allowing this to happen??

Here's the thing, it all depends on the situation. Should you be able to shoot somebody who just pulls into your driveway to turn around or something or they're lost? No. Absolutely not! Should you be able to shoot somebody who pulls into your driveway at three in the morning? Maybe, just depends. Should you be able to shoot somebody who is headed straight towards your front door at three in the morning? Possibly. Should you be able to shoot them if they're coming straight towards your front door at three in the morning and they're armed? Hell yeah.

But the homeowner said he saw a gun......

And if he believed he saw a gun or he believed he was in danger.....who are we to tell him what he believed

That "I feared for my safety" excuse usually plays well with a certain crowd

You can't use that as an excuse to shoot somebody. First of all, Texas is a gun state with open carry laws. A lot of people have guns. Secondly, even if somebody had a gun in the car does not justify shooting them because it was not self-defense. A person can go to the other side of the house and call police. Third, there was no breaking or entering attempt on the home.

Yea, that's it....

He was sort of justified to do it in a way because people see him as the enemy.....

However, the muslim guy -- whom people also see as the enemy -- if the roles were reversed and he shot someone...would you afford him the same rationalization??

Doubt it....

When in doubt as a leftist, bring up the race card.

It's 3:00 am in Texas. A guy sees a car pull into his driveway. Do you really believe he could decipher that the guy in the car was an Arab from any other race of people in the total darkness?

One thing about you leftists is you get into trouble by not thinking before you say or write something.

Last edited:
Well, I am pretty sure you are not scary looking...so that is a factor....However, there are plenty of situations where people were shot for going to the wrong house..people who looked very scary.....people up to no good....

For example, a few months ago.....a man shot a teenager because he was obviously knocking on the door, attempting to break in.....Maybe he wasn't breaking in, maybe he was...who knows....what matters is that the homeowner had reason to fear a break in, therefore he had reason to open fire...I mean, look at this kid...

First of all this is under investigation. Secondly very few people are outside banging on doors at 4:00am unless they are troublemakers. Third, the home owner went outside to get the potential intruder to leave announcing he was indeed armed. The kid went to accost him anyway.

The article portrays him as some model citizen and student. If he was, then intoxication could only explain his actions. As the case advances in the investigation I'm sure that will come out.

No, you can't just shoot someone who pulls into your driveway even at 3am, they might be lost or simply turning around. The real legal key here is the victim was backing out of the driveway, in essence retreating, you shoot him or her in this or similar instances, you're criminally liable.

If I could legally shoot and kill anybody using my driveway to turn around, I'd bag about 250 people a year at least. Correct, nothing the homeowner did was legal in any state.

Forum List

Back