Should you be a robot on the internet?

Does Sticks and Stones apply to the internet/Message board posts?

• Total voters

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
What are your thoughts on words written on a screen from a complete stranger? Do you feel emotion? Or do you pretend its just gobbledegoop and like water off a ducks back, it should just puddle and dissipate?

Poster A said:
If words hurt you, you have problems.
If you let words from anonymous people about anonymous people hurt you should disconnect from the web and reevaluate your life.

Poster B said:
If you have no emotions, no soul, no morals, have no concept of what is right or wrong and that a real human being is behind that monitor reading your words, then you should disconnect from the web and reevaluate your life.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you ever get angry at something you read? Laugh? Are those not emotions?

I try not let the words of strangers on the internet upset me and most of the time I succeed. The amount of stupid I read is maddening at times.

Maddening=an emotion. From Poster A's standpoint, no emotion should be ever felt while on the net. That is impossible.

Here's am emotion for ya:

Lucy Darn Hamilton started a thread about chocolate milk and I had none. So, I just got back from the market with..yep...a gallon of chocolate milk. Reading her post made me want some. REALLY BAD. :lol:

Unless you're a doily, one cannot completely divorce themself from emotion. I am still mostly unflappable, though. lol

Unless you're a doily, one cannot completely divorce themself from emotion. I am still mostly unflappable, though. lol
Because you are queen here, sweety. :lol:
Queens are unflappable. ;)

I know too many things to sweat the trolls. I don't get offended by their refusal to see how things really are. The trolls are not here to discuss or debate, they are attention seekers. Some posters are very knowledgeable but are easily pulled into flame wars that accomplish nothing. Lucy Hamilton is very sharp with a tremendous grasp on what is going on but she has no problem with taking on her detractors and I stand by her just like I do anyone that really seeks the truth.

If one can feel sorrow or pain reading something, or feel happiness and joy seeing something in a vid...that is emotion. How does one turn it on and off? They can't.

If one can feel sorrow or pain reading something, or feel happiness and joy seeing something in a vid...that is emotion. How does one turn it on and off? They can't.

Agreed, but that is different than allowing someone's words on a message board stir you to anger or sadness. I have seen some incredible things on youtube that has moved me greatly....like animal rescues. Seeing people rescue abandoned animals and the results of the efforts reaffirms my faith in humanity.

Agreed, but that is different than allowing someone's words on a message board stir you to anger or sadness. I have seen some incredible things on youtube that has moved me greatly....like animal rescues. Seeing people rescue abandoned animals and the results of the efforts reaffirms my faith in humanity.
I agree. But seeing the opposite brings forth another emotion. Whether it is visual or verbal makes no difference. Well, in my opinion anyway.

Hate filled words toward me online or offline hurt me....I will admit it. I react in different ways depending on what is said, and who said it though. I generally am not, but can get vicious if hurt.

Hate filled words toward me online or offline hurt me....I will admit it. I react in different ways depending on what is said, and who said it though. I generally am not, but can get vicious if hurt.
Ditto.

I guess....what it comes down to is..one has to care about the one doing it in order to be hurt by the one that does the hurt. Sounds weird, but I can't explain it. Lets go with Tank for example. I don't give a damn what he says to me or about me. But...if its someone I do or did care about...that's a different story. Like you said..depends on who and what.

What are your thoughts on words written on a screen from a complete stranger? Do you feel emotion? Or do you pretend its just gobbledegoop and like water off a ducks back, it should just puddle and dissipate?

Poster A said:
If you let words from anonymous people about anonymous people hurt you should disconnect from the web and reevaluate your life.

Poster B said:
If you have no emotions, no soul, no morals, have no concept of what is right or wrong and that a real human being is behind that monitor reading your words, then you should disconnect from the web and reevaluate your life.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you ever get angry at something you read? Laugh? Are those not emotions?

Wait! The people who post on the Internet are real?!

I thought it was some grandiose Turning Test failure.

Poster A said:

Poster B said:

You must be wanting to be hurt! :lol:

Ditto.

I guess....what it comes down to is..one has to care about the one doing it in order to be hurt by the one that does the hurt. Sounds weird, but I can't explain it. Lets go with Tank for example. I don't give a damn what he says to me or about me. But...if its someone I do or did care about...that's a different story. Like you said..depends on who and what.

Exactly

I actually remember the first time I truly cried reading something. It was years ago..and said by someone I truly admired and liked and though liked me in return. We posted together for some years, and I considered her an online friend. Then one day, she just went off on me. I was at first, all like :eek-52: then it went to :dunno: then progressed back to :disbelief: then the flood started. I just quietly left, changed my name and went to another website.

Another friend of mine disappeared too...and she finally contacted me and said someone was saying some really hurtful things about her, too. In a private forum that was supposed to be private but wasn't because someone decided it would be fun to send her cut and pastes of what some REALLY thought of her. She was devastated.

So yeah..words can hurt.

Poster A said:

Poster B said:

You must be wanting to be hurt! :lol:

I do. But my tolerance for pain is too high.

I actually remember the first time I truly cried reading something. It was years ago..and said by someone I truly admired and liked and though liked me in return. We posted together for some years, and I considered her an online friend. Then one day, she just went off on me. I was at first, all like :eek-52: then it went to :dunno: then progressed back to :disbelief: then the flood started. I just quietly left, changed my name and went to another website.

Another friend of mine disappeared too...and she finally contacted me and said someone was saying some really hurtful things about her, too. In a private forum that was supposed to be private but wasn't because someone decided it would be fun to send her cut and pastes of what some REALLY thought of her. She was devastated.

So yeah..words can hurt.

Absolutely. And anyone that tries to say differently, is not being truthful IMO

I have cried more than once. No one likes being used. ;)

Forum List

Back