CDZ Should we require criminal background checks before people can vote in elections?

Never said they did, never thought they did, never thought they should.
You can't equate voter registration with a background check which is what you did
You need to take that complaint up with Mr. 2aguy. It was he who wrote: "should we require that all citizens who want to vote pass a criminal background check before they vote in each election?"
If the state they live in does not allow felons to vote then yes all people who want to vote should be subject to a background check

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
If we have to go through a background check on one Right, then all other Rights become subject to that background check...
That is you speaking. My position was that if it is agreed that voters should have a criminal background check it only makes sense to do it when they first register to vote. Their status should be maintained in a database and that database checked when they actually vote. If they are convicted of a crime or do something else (e.g., move) that info is then placed in the database. That is essentially how voter registration is handled in my state and it doesn't seem like an excessively burdensome system to me. It should work equally well for guns.
Your town does not continually update its data base of registered voters and does not perform a background check on each voter on election day

No towns do

You need to take that complaint up with Mr. 2aguy. It was he who wrote: "should we require that all citizens who want to vote pass a criminal background check before they vote in each election?"
If the state they live in does not allow felons to vote then yes all people who want to vote should be subject to a background check

If we have to go through a background check on one Right, then all other Rights become subject to that background check...
That is you speaking. My position was that if it is agreed that voters should have a criminal background check it only makes sense to do it when they first register to vote. Their status should be maintained in a database and that database checked when they actually vote. If they are convicted of a crime or do something else (e.g., move) that info is then placed in the database. That is essentially how voter registration is handled in my state and it doesn't seem like an excessively burdensome system to me. It should work equally well for guns.

Sorry...as I pointed out with Illinois.....you have to go through a background check to get a Firearm Owners identification Card, and another one to get a concealed carry permit.......then, when you actually go and buy a gun, you still have to get a background check.

Thus.....what is good for one Right is good for the others....72 hours before you vote, you must get a criminal background check to make sure your status has not changed.
self-inflicted wound. if there were a state or national gun registry database you wouldn't need a check every time you want a gun.
If you buy a gun from a licensed dealer you have to have a background check for every purchase.

That is the law a gun registry won't change that

You can't equate voter registration with a background check which is what you did

Your town does not continually update its data base of registered voters and does not perform a background check on each voter on election day

No towns do

At least one town does:

Details About Removal of Deceased Voters from Voter Registration List

In order to maintain an accurate voter database, our office continually updates the voter registration records to account for the unfortunate situation of a deceased voter. Upon notification and verification of the deceased party, we cancel the appropriate voter record. Our office receives notification through the following methods:
  • Returned mail that is marked “Deceased”.
  • Periodic death records provided by the Orange County Health Care Agency.
  • The “VoteCal Deceased List”, which is a list of deceased voters provided by the California Secretary of State’s office multiple times per year.
  • The Registrar of Voters office checks the obituaries listed in the newspapers daily.
  • The roster index correction request, which is available at the polling places on Election Day.
  • The Registrar of Voters office also cancels inactive voters who have not participated in two consecutive federal general elections, pursuant to California Elections Code 2226.
  • Notification from a family member, including the name, address and date of death of the deceased.
  • Utilization of a third-party data provider, which provides national deceased voter data.
  • Notify our office about a deceased voter.

Sorry...as I pointed out with Illinois.....you have to go through a background check to get a Firearm Owners identification Card, and another one to get a concealed carry permit.......then, when you actually go and buy a gun, you still have to get a background check.

Thus.....what is good for one Right is good for the others....72 hours before you vote, you must get a criminal background check to make sure your status has not changed.
self-inflicted wound. if there were a state or national gun registry database you wouldn't need a check every time you want a gun.
If you buy a gun from a licensed dealer you have to have a background check for every purchase.

A gun registry would make that law superfluous.

No...it wouldn't. And thank you for confirming that the goal is a gun registry.....the precursor to gun confiscation.

No it wouldn't since all licensed dealers would still have to ascertain if the person buying the gun was not legally permitted to do so before the chase was made

No it wouldn't since all licensed dealers would still have to ascertain if the person buying the gun was not legally permitted to do so before the chase was made
The dealer would just query a gun registry database, like swiping a credit card, to determine eligibility. No other background check required. You could walk away with your new gun immediately.

Not so much criminal background checks I think that intelligence test requirements be brought back for voters.

The dealer would just query a gun registry database, like swiping a credit card, to determine eligibility. No other background check required. You could walk away with your new gun immediately.

A gun registry will not tell anyone if a person is a convicted felon

A background check must be done via NICS in order to see if a person is legally permitted to buy a gun. And permission must be granted by the person to the gun dealer before the check is performed.

All a gun registry is is a list of the people who own guns and what guns they own

Don't have a problem with requiring criminal background checks for voting. We should also require literacy and civics tests as well. I can live with over 75% of Democrats suddenly becoming ineligible to vote.

I'm confident it wouldn't just be Democrats that would suddenly become ineligible. ;)

Given what House and Senate Democrats consider 'impeachable offenses', it's clear they have no idea at all about the laws, so yes, it's probably more like 100%, but I was trying to be nice about the POS traitors, deviants, and gimps by giving some the benefit of the doubt. As for the GOP establishment traitors, I'm not bashful about their crookedness, but they at least know the laws they're trying to get around. Your confidence is misplaced.

Don't need that....all we need is your name and birthdate....we have that database already. Every time a cop pulls you over and takes your license, all he does is run your name and birthdate...if you are a felon or have warrants, he will know......so we don't need a gun registry for any reason.

All we need is to give Americans access to the local, state and federal criminal records.......don't need any new background checks for that...and we don't need a gun registry for that either.

Don't have a problem with requiring criminal background checks for voting. We should also require literacy and civics tests as well. I can live with over 75% of Democrats suddenly becoming ineligible to vote.

I'm confident it wouldn't just be Democrats that would suddenly become ineligible. ;)

Given what House and Senate Democrats consider 'impeachable offenses', it's clear they have no idea at all about the laws, so yes, it's probably more like 100%, but I was trying to be nice about the POS traitors, deviants, and gimps by giving some the benefit of the doubt. As for the GOP establishment traitors, I'm not bashful about their crookedness, but they at least know the laws they're trying to get around. Your confidence is misplaced.

You didn't say Democrat politicians.

As far as impeachment goes, while I'm curious what you think the laws say on the subject that is being ignored, that's not the subject of this thread.

Forum List

Back