Should we expect immigrants to learn "OUR" language?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
This question is quite difficult, but I'm curious about a broader perspective on the issue. What our Government is doing for provide them with possibility to learn English for free? Do immigrants have a right to expect all services and their children's education to be provided in their native language?
How many money should we spend for achieving this goal?

Absolutely. Like it or not English is one of the most frequently used languages for business. Services should be provided in other languages for one simple fact. There invariably are going to be people that take longer to learn the language and adjust to its nuances.

It really is a shame we're so stupid about language because, in the end, it hurts us.

We're stupid about language? There are only rare occasions when an English speaking Americans would need to know another language and speaking to the Spanish speaking illegal landscaper doesn't count.

English is the business language across the world. Aren't "immigrants" supposed to assimilate to us rather than the other way around? After all, they chose to come "here".

Absolutely. Like it or not English is one of the most frequently used languages for business. Services should be provided in other languages for one simple fact. There invariably are going to be people that take longer to learn the language and adjust to its nuances.

No, they should bring an interpreter with them at their own expense. American workers shouldn't have to learn every damned language in the world to accommodate them.

They must adapt to our culture and ways.............and laws...............They chose to come here.........no one forced them to be here..................

We have no responsibility to learn theirs................

The Italians, the Poles, the Russian, the Serb, the Greek and hundreds of non-English speaking immigrants were proficient in English by the second generation. English speaking American popular culture is too powerful for immigrants to resist for something as ubiquitous as the English language.

The Italians, the Poles, the Russian, the Serb, the Greek and hundreds of non-English speaking immigrants were proficient in English by the second generation.

To an extent. Just like today's immigrants.

This question is quite difficult, but I'm curious about a broader perspective on the issue. What our Government is doing for provide them with possibility to learn English for free? Do immigrants have a right to expect all services and their children's education to be provided in their native language?
We use to offer French or spanish in middle school. Fuck French. Its worthless. And we should start teaching spanish in pre school. Just a few basic words but children learn better young.

And they should have to learn English of course.

I've always thought that the United States doesn't have a declared official language. I could be wrong, but if it's true, I just think it would be unreasonable to force everyone to speak it.

No, they should bring an interpreter with them at their own expense. American workers shouldn't have to learn every damned language in the world to accommodate them.
Why not? Thats their job. If they dont want the job they can go elsewhere. If you have a right as a citizen to get a benefit it shouldnt be contingent on you learning the most difficult language in the world before you get said benefits.

I've always thought that the United States doesn't have a declared official language. I could be wrong, but if it's true, I just think it would be unreasonable to force everyone to speak it.
"Forcing" is different than "expecting". No the US doesnt have a declared official language but lets be real. Until another language becomes the language we do business in it would behoove people to learn it so they can navigate. The alternative is that they are limited in what they can do or accomplish. I know chinese people that have never ventured outside of Chinatown because they dont know any english. We face that problem in Black neighborhoods where Ebonics is a first language and english a second language. The people that dont learn english have problems in school.

This is an extract from the requirements to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. Anyone coming here and intending to remain here permanently should have this as a goal:

Attachment to the Constitution An application for naturalization must declare the applicant's willingness to support and defend the U.S. and the Constitution. An applicant declares his or her "attachment" to the U.S. and the Constitution at the time he or she takes the oath of allegiance.

Language Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English words in ordinary use. Some applicants may be exempt because of age or mental condition.

U.S. Government and History Knowledge An applicant for naturalization must demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of U.S. history and certain principles of U.S. government. Applicants are exempt if they have a medically recognizable physical or mental impairment that affects their ability to learn or understand these topics.

Oath of Allegiance U.S. citizenship is conferred after the oath of allegiance is taken. A modified oath may be available in certain instances, such as religious opposition to oaths. -

Yes, anyone coming here should learn English. But...

I married into a family of Italian immigrants. At least 30 people came here as family members and spouses, based on one guy who came here originally in the 1930's and was naturalized. A large group of them arrived in about 1950 as young adults. Most of them even now, 65 years later, can barely speak English. I occasionally remind them that they have lived 75% of their lives in this country, and have still not mastered the language. To a man, they still all consider themselves to be "Italian." I find it rather nauseating.

This is an extract from the requirements to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. Anyone coming here and intending to remain here permanently should have this as a goal:

Attachment to the Constitution An application for naturalization must declare the applicant's willingness to support and defend the U.S. and the Constitution. An applicant declares his or her "attachment" to the U.S. and the Constitution at the time he or she takes the oath of allegiance.

Language Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English words in ordinary use. Some applicants may be exempt because of age or mental condition.

U.S. Government and History Knowledge An applicant for naturalization must demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of U.S. history and certain principles of U.S. government. Applicants are exempt if they have a medically recognizable physical or mental impairment that affects their ability to learn or understand these topics.

Oath of Allegiance U.S. citizenship is conferred after the oath of allegiance is taken. A modified oath may be available in certain instances, such as religious opposition to oaths. -

I married into a family of Italian immigrants. At least 30 people came here as family members and spouses, based on one guy who came here originally in the 1930's and was naturalized. A large group of them arrived in about 1950 as young adults. Most of them even now, 65 years later, can barely speak English. I occasionally remind them that they have lived 75% of their lives in this country, and have still not mastered the language. To a man, they still all consider themselves to be "Italian." I find it rather nauseating.

That wasn't the sentiments of most early immigrants, however. It's more like the attitude of today's immigrants and in particular those from south of our border. Many of them don't learn English or they refuse to speak it even though they know how to and their love seems to be for Mexico. We are simply a cash cow for them. Not all but far too many of them feel that way.

Last edited:

That wasn't the sentiments of most early immigrants, however. It's more like the attitude of today's immigrants and in particular those from south of our border.

Bullshit

Absolutely! Anyone from anywhere should fit into that society whether they like it or not. Exceptions may be vacation to short business transactions.

Seems to me the people who make the most noise about immigrants and learning English know very little about either.

Forum List

Back