What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we ban marriages for abusers?

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Reaction score
If someone is convicted of any form of abuse should we pass laws that they can never marry?
Should the government have the power to ban child abusers from marriage?
How come this is not law now and how come "family values" candidates do not offer this?
Shouldn't we protect the sanctity of marriage?

Political Junky

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good idea. How about after a second divorce no one is allowed to remarry.

J

JaneD

I would never want to give our government that kind of power. I think if someone is in jail for abuse of any sort, they need to stay there until they are rehabilitated or until their sentence runs out. After this, they need to serve their parole and meet other requirements if a sexual abuse excon, but to tell them they no longer can marry seems unrelated, and an additional punishment for the crime that a jury or judge does not get to determine?

martybegan

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I would never want to give our government that kind of power. I think if someone is in jail for abuse of any sort, they need to stay there until they are rehabilitated or until their sentence runs out. After this, they need to serve their parole and meet other requirements if a sexual abuse excon, but to tell them they no longer can marry seems unrelated, and an additional punishment for the crime that a jury or judge does not get to determine?

Plus what stops them from co-habitating?

J

JaneD

Nothing at all!?

martybegan

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Nothing at all!?

exactly, thats why the law would be a bad idea.

The only thing that will stop domestic abuse is educating men that it is wrong to do it, and educating women to realize any guy that does it is an asshole and has to be left immidiately.

OP
Gadawg73

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Reaction score

Nothing at all!?

The only thing that will stop domestic abuse is educating men that it is wrong to do it, and educating women to realize any guy that does it is an asshole and has to be left immidiately.

So keeping government out of marriage other than issuing a license is the way to go?

RadiomanATL

Reaction score
Nothing at all!?

So keeping government out of marriage other than issuing a license is the way to go?

Pretty much. The only reason government should be involved at all is for tax purposes.

Two consenting adults. That should be the only requirement for marriage as far as the state is concerned.

goldcatt

Catch me if you can!
Reaction score

Pretty much. The only reason government should be involved at all is for tax purposes.

Two consenting adults. That should be the only requirement for marriage as far as the state is concerned.

I'm back and forth over whether the State should be involved in marriage at all. If not for the property issues it would be a definite NO.

OP
Gadawg73

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Reaction score

As a strict conservative I agree.

RadiomanATL

Reaction score

I'm back and forth over whether the State should be involved in marriage at all. If not for the property issues it would be a definite NO.

Property, taxes and settling disputes when a split occurs.

Who cares what dangly bits they have as long as both consent and are of age.

Damn morally social "conservative" engineers are ruining conservatism.

goldcatt

Catch me if you can!
Reaction score

Property, taxes and settling disputes when a split occurs.

Who cares what dangly bits they have as long as both consent and are of age.

Damn morally social "conservative" engineers are ruining conservatism.

It's not just conservatives who agree with that idea. ;)

But you're right.

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure, let's just let the government have at it, on every part of life. That would be too cool, then I would not have to make any decisions whatsover :eusa_dance:

Richie90

Rookie
Reaction score
Yes. For the sake for the other parties, they should be ban. Unless they turn over a new leaf, they will live single for the rest of their life.

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Reaction score
If someone is convicted of any form of abuse should we pass laws that they can never marry?
Should the government have the power to ban child abusers from marriage?
How come this is not law now and how come "family values" candidates do not offer this?
Shouldn't we protect the sanctity of marriage?

How would that help?

Most abusers aren't married to their victims.

Gremlin-USA

<<< Me in 1970
Reaction score
Nothing at all!?

Why do you need a license? are you marrying the Government or a spouse?

The license thing is only a lousy tax.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$350.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List